Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Any good Antivirus Solution?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Any good Antivirus Solution?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Im looking for a good antivirus/malware solution to make use in debian, I need it against windows wine apps (Im a wine's fan user).
I'd like something like PandaCloud Antivirus (cloud solution).

ClamAV doesnt convince me (pretty slow scanning),
Im now testing ComodoAntivirus, which seem to work well, thought filesystem driver is not loading

Do you know anything better, please tell?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

phenest

Re: Any good Antivirus Solution?

#2 Post by phenest »

From http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p644085
Linux has no virus, no malware, stop bullshit, there is more chance an atomic bomb explode in Paris than get infected by a linux virus. See Android Phones, Millons of users, installing thousands of Apps, and that system is unbrokeable. For sure, if you give root access then you lost it, but thats all.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

alan stone

#3 Post by alan stone »

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

is this guy for real?
bester69 wrote:Linux has no virus, no malware, stop bullshit, there is more chance an atomic bomb explode in Paris than get infected by a linux virus.
See Android Phones, Millons of users, installing thousands of Apps, and that system is unbrokeable.
:lol:

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

phenest wrote:From http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p644085
Linux has no virus, no malware, stop bullshit, there is more chance an atomic bomb explode in Paris than get infected by a linux virus. See Android Phones, Millons of users, installing thousands of Apps, and that system is unbrokeable. For sure, if you give root access then you lost it, but thats all.
Im talking about windows apps. I know linux its free of viruses, but im running windows apps in linux, and I prefer to know that apps running are not stealing my documents.
i.e. I use very often onenote2010, and i prefer to know my documents are not going outside my computer.

You guys, think im a idiot?,
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

bester69 wrote:Im talking about windows apps. I know linux its free of viruses, but im running windows apps in linux, and I prefer to know that apps running are not stealing my documents.
i.e. I use very often onenote2010, and i prefer to know my documents are not going outside my computer.

You guys, think im a idiot?,
you said it.

anyhow, you need to install a WINDOWS antivirus program under WINE. simple really, when one thinks about it.
useful? i doubt...

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

bester69 wrote:Im talking about windows apps
The use a Windows a/v program.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

I'm guessing that this OP's sudden "conversion" has a lot to do with WannaCry, which some allege can run under WINE.

Unfortunately for him, WannaCry is invisible to AV programs.

Schadenfreude moment for the rest of us.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@OP: if your files get encrypted, just restore them from a snapshot, you have nothing to fear ;)
deadbang

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:
bester69 wrote:ClamAV doesnt convince me (pretty slow scanning),
No sense scanning anything outside of wine's virtual filesystem, is there? :mrgreen:
OK, I will Keep Comodo Antivirus for scanning windows files from emule or so.

thanks.

esp7

#11 Post by esp7 »

at least we all agree this should be some what the most stupid topic on this forum :lol:

can we know for which win32 apps you use wine in order to need an antivirus solution which will have zero.zero added value? cracked mIRC, outdated utorrent, ccleaner,... enlighten us :mrgreen:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

bester69

#12 Post by bester69 »

esp7 wrote:at least we all agree this should be some what the most stupid topic on this forum :lol:

can we know for which win32 apps you use wine in order to need an antivirus solution which will have zero.zero added value? cracked mIRC, outdated utorrent, ccleaner,... enlighten us :mrgreen:
Now, I just install in my regurar installation following wins apps:
- Picasa 3.9 (dont like digikam, its much less)
- AutoCad2010
- GoogleEarth (it works better under wine)
- AbbyFineReader X (great OCR)--> No linux worthy alternative available
- Onenote2010 (I love this app, its fantastic) --> No linux worthy alternative available
- Acrobat Writer XI (for editing pdfs)--> No linux worthy alternative available
- TextAloud + LoquendoVoices (for voicereading text)--> No linux worthy alternative available
- Swat4 PC-Game

esp7

#13 Post by esp7 »

I am not into graphics and all this stuff but I think experienced users certainly have alternatives. For the sake of clarity, I am not at all video & graphics expert so I will share just my info. PDF editing I do if necessary but most of the time I keep my sources to allow me regenerating PDFs. Gimp is perfectly possible to edit PDF's. OCR scanning I use now and then for a specific purpose, there are tesseract packages for all languages in the repositories, these were even further developed by google. Digikam is not an alternative for Picasa... dammit :lol: Use Darktable if you want an alternative, again I am not into graphics but many people in my environment use it and are very satisfied by Darktable. Google Earth is available on their website as deb packages, these if I am not mistaken use a wine environment under the hood which makes your comment really funny :D And finally because of all your shitty must have windows apps, you require a virusscanner for wine which is even stupid to even discuss. It seems you need to study a bit linux with less posting on forums but more in depth analyzing all information available on the internet. I also use wine for some things, but not for running win32 virusscanners which have not one added value :lol:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

edbarx

#14 Post by edbarx »

bester69, with a virus-scanner running under Wine you will be bringing your system next to a standstill. :?

Did you ever use Windows 95 or anything following it up to Windows Vista? Do yourself a favour and try to remember your computer churning helplessly trying to swap, scan and prevent viral infections all the time. You do remember your harddisk making continuous noises like an endless blitz? Linux may not be advertised to be as user friendly as MS Windows' graphical applications, but for anyone wanting to really make the leap, irrespective of any self sacrifices it carries with it, it should be possible to use Linux-native utilities instead of using WINE.

Oh, how I wish I could hack a Windows driver for my USB oscilloscope!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.