Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wow. Really?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GarryRicketson

Re: Wow. Really?

#46 Post by GarryRicketson »

by fsmithred »But you fixed it double. You pinned the original, and this one is still here.
No, actually not me, a mod or admin decided to pin it,...

acewiza

#47 Post by acewiza »

Bulkley wrote:The Devuan fork lets Debian developers off the hook for users who need the option.
Please explain this "hook" you speak of. I am unaware of any liability the Debian community may or may not have towards Devuan or their users. But then again, the list of things I am unaware of is certainly much longer than the list of things I am aware of. :roll:
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

phenest

#48 Post by phenest »

None1975 wrote:
phenest wrote:Devuan forums fill up with posts about how better Devuan is than Debian but they need systemd for some reason. I can't think of a reason but someone will..
Yes, you are right. I really miss it, full of happiness popular and exciting systemd. I loved when my system hangs while shutting down, love message, like: "A stop job is running for..." https://postimg.org/image/ar7e3ashz, And he's a good companion, and can easily solve the problem when nothing else to do. With systemd there is always something to do!
Really? I've seen none of that. You can call me lucky, but none of my 3 computers have shown any evidence that systemd requires maintenance, or that it's buggy.

And I'd like to thank you for snipping that quote to make it look like I prefer Devuan and have no need for systemd. I've now tried Devuan. I can't say I've noticed any difference. Might as well carry on with Debian. Besides, Devuan is now 2 years behind Debian.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Bulkley

#49 Post by Bulkley »

acewiza wrote:
Bulkley wrote:The Devuan fork lets Debian developers off the hook for users who need the option.
Please explain this "hook" you speak of. I am unaware of any liability the Debian community may or may not have towards Devuan or their users.
There's no liability, just guilt. It's sort of like food banks let politicians avoid responsibility for hungry children. Devuan helps to take the pressure off Debian developers to provide init choices. If Debian developers had done their job properly a bunch of disgruntled users would not have felt it necessary to break away and create a fork distro. Just sayin'.

Danielsan

#50 Post by Danielsan »

I don't understand why the rule if you don't like something that do your fork is valid for all the people but Devuan's devs...

If Devuan want do a Debian version without systemd can they are free to do it? They are not even reinvented the wheel, they are just using sysvinit instead of systemd, as I far I saw they are having a low profile, and they are doing their job.

Just because they aren't using systemd many people still continue to feel hurt... Crazy not?

alan stone

#51 Post by alan stone »

Danielsan wrote:I don't understand why ...
Just because they aren't using systemd many people still continue to feel hurt... Crazy not?
The psychology of divorce at work?

Or of living apart together?

acewiza

#52 Post by acewiza »

Bulkley wrote:There's no liability, just guilt. It's sort of like food banks let politicians ...
You appear to have a very vivid imagination. But if thinking that makes you feel better about the issue, by all means...
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Wheelerof4te

#53 Post by Wheelerof4te »

A bit late to the party, but nevermind...

Congratulations to the Devuan team, I'm glad it all worked out in the end and we got ourselves a new Debian derivative.
Shouldn't everyone be happy now? Debian users who hated systemd got their systemd-free Debian-based OS; Everyone else has Debian.

I don't see any reason for Debian users who want systemd to go to Devuan since it's basicaly the same as Debian. Or it at least should be.

Devuan would have kept systemd had it not become a dependency hell imbedded in every piece of DE software ever.

So these arguments are pointless.