Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

retaining packages in old computers

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

retaining packages in old computers

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
In Stretch, For a 2008's laptop 1Ghz
Due to issues performance I've had to retained following packages:

Code: Select all

Los siguientes paquetes se han retenido:
  chromium chromium-l10n firmware-amd-graphics firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-misc-nonfree kodi
  kodi-bin kodi-data openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless opera-stable spotify-client
- kodi16.1 (Kodi 17.1 give me worst performance, some litle lag issues)
- chromium v37 ( Last versions cant performance in old computers)
- opera-stable v42 (from that version on, it degrades performance, so i freezed it)
- firmware graphics 20161130-2~bpo8+1 (New firmware give some lags in browsers)

Conclusion: Packages in Olds computer must be freezed in some point before getting into obsolescence gap.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

phenest

Re: retaining packages in old computers

#2 Post by phenest »

That's not a particularly old computer, but that is a very slow CPU. 1GHz? What CPU does it have?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

phenest wrote:That's not a particularly old computer, but that is a very slow CPU. 1GHz? What CPU does it have?
Genuine Intel® CPU 575 @ 2.00GHz

Im lacking CPU, RAM, i got 4Gb
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

In 2008, most computer's were more powerful than that. It must be quite a low end laptop.

I've got a 2005 computer with more power than that.

Nili

#5 Post by Nili »

I have a DELL desktop from 2007 (my main daily desktop usage)
- The latest Debian that works very well for her is current Jessie stable.

I've tried a few times Stretch but I notice is not the same as in Jessie. System and Apps installed works better on Jessie.
It's been 10 years since i bought this one. Maybe it's time to die it with Jessie LTS. At the end of LTS (2020) i'll disconnect from the internet and use it locally for my personal purposes.

i686 is near of long sleep.
I will buy a new desktop for sure to start a new fresh adventures on Linux.

In my opinion, buying a new computer is the most optimal solution.
Regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote:I have a DELL desktop from 2007 (my main daily desktop usage)
- The latest Debian that works very well for her is current Jessie stable.

I've tried a few times Stretch but I notice is not the same as in Jessie. System and Apps installed works better on Jessie.
It's been 10 years since i bought this one. Maybe it's time to die it with Jessie LTS. At the end of LTS (2020) i'll disconnect from the internet and use it locally for my personal purposes.

i686 is near of long sleep.
I will buy a new desktop for sure to start a new fresh adventures on Linux.

In my opinion, buying a new computer is the most optimal solution.
Regards!
- Im stuck with ubuntu's kernel 4.4.39, new kernels latency's feeling has bad timings experience for my computer. I tried many kenels and im always come back to 4.4.39,
- Im stuck in opera v42 as regular browser for performing reasons
- Im stuck in kodi v16 for performing reasons
- VLC woking badly since some versions ago, Im very happy with mpv
- Im stuck in virtualbox 5.1.10 due to bug with kde5 and bar options (not clickable from that version on)
- Firefox gives some tearing graphics issues since some versions ago. (As i dont use it as regular browser, I dont really matter)
- Stretch and KDE 5.8 working good--> I would rate 6,5 in my old PC (Im expecting KDE 5.9 to come out soon in debian)

Im guessing with some tweaks and freezings I will be able to keep my 2008's laptop with the life's period of Stretch LTS

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

if you were a newbie i would try to convince you that what you are doing there is not best practice, and there's better ways to take the load off an old laptop.
but from your other threads i know that it wouldn't change a thing... :roll:
and there's probably so many things wrong with your setup already, this won't make a difference anymore.

so, just a warning for others reading this: not good advice to follow! better to use lightweight, but up-to-date software.

phenest

#8 Post by phenest »

If it were me, I'd be trying to upgrade the CPU to something more capable. But given that bester has mentioned
firmware graphics 20161130-2~bpo8+1 (New firmware give some lags in browsers)
maybe the graphics aren't up to it.

What video card does it have bester?

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

phenest wrote:If it were me, I'd be trying to upgrade the CPU to something more capable. But given that bester has mentioned
firmware graphics 20161130-2~bpo8+1 (New firmware give some lags in browsers)
maybe the graphics aren't up to it.

What video card does it have bester?
>> Intel GM45 Chipset,
Ive finally upgraded all firmware and delete some firmware that made my desktop experience worse, I realised last version add some graphics libaries firmware that were the guilty of that graphics feeling behavior i dont feel confortable with.
I deleted the guilties ones:
bxtgucver87 - GUC FIRMWARE FOR BROXTON
kblgucver914 -GUC FIRMWARE FOR KABYLAKE

I dont know what theses libraries do or not do exactlly, but they mess the feeling my desktop experience in GM45, so i deleted them and resolved it.

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

debiman wrote:i....! better to use lightweight, but up-to-date software.
Thas not possible anymore with some old computers, Last chromium/firefox derivades need More powerful CPU, So my criteria is :
- freeze the one you use for regular day --> Opera or Chromium (freezed)
- update the one you use for sensible operations (virtual bank, cloud accounts,etc) --> Firefox or Chrome (updated)

The same criteria with others apps (kodi v16).