Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Down memory lane: the best distros of 2000

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Bulkley

Down memory lane: the best distros of 2000

#1 Post by Bulkley »

Back in May 2000 the first issue of Linux Format magazine hit the newsstands. One of its features was a group test of Linux distributions, reflecting the state of play in Linux flavours at the time. If you fancy a trip down memory lane or just a quick look at how beautiful Linux wasn't all those years ago, we've dug out the original article complete with screenshots - read on!
the best distros of 2000

dasein

Re: Down memory lane: the best distros of 2000

#2 Post by dasein »

What a fun read! Thanks!

Interesting/ironic that half the "best" distros didn't survive (and even one of those "survivors" is more of a "descendant").

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

A year before Xandros.

One of the first distros I could get to work.

My computer at that time couldn't Boot from CD so I had to use a floppy as well.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

arochester wrote:My computer at that time couldn't Boot from CD so I had to use a floppy as well.
Same here. I tried three of those, all on floppies.

Innovate

#5 Post by Innovate »

I really missed Corel distro that WinZip company.

trinidad

#6 Post by trinidad »

My first experiences with computing were all mainframe IBM stations in the late 80's.The first Linux I ever used was from the era, around 2001. A beautiful boxed set of cds with manuals for server and desktop. Suse Linux in the 6.3-6.4 kernel era. I dual booted it with Windows 2000 pro, two 20 gig hdds, on a home built Asus board with an over-clocked (504mgz) 433 pentium processor, even surfboarded it to TW cable modem successfully even though they supposedly only supported Windows. It was certainly that experience that kept me engaged with Linux and KDE and Kubuntu for many years after. I have run Debian 8 since its release with no problems at all once I abandoned the KDE DE. I have ordered my full dvd sets of Debian 9 both 64 and 32 bit. Should be here Friday. Already set aside the weekend for my installations. I have never used a system more versatile and stable than Debian and at my age I doubt I will ever switch again. It is by far the best there is in the Linux world, and considerably more durable and flexible than any other system, something that is often overlooked in these days of the overwrought Ubuntu release schedules.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.