Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Buster too much for an Old Laptop?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Is Buster too much for an Old Laptop?

#1 Post by bester69 »

HI,

Right Now, Ive Stretch +KDE 5.8 in a 2008's lapto with the following specs, working like a charm:
- Debian 9 amd64 + KDE5.8
- Genuine Intel® CPU 575 @ 2.00GHz
- RAM 4GB

The system is working like a charm, but i feel its already coming into obsolescence gap. Im afraid that new ffmpeg codecs ,VLC, Kodi, Xorg-server and others system's components might been prepared for new CPU's/Hardware (Multicore proccessors), and the system works worse (with lower performance) than in the Stretch version.

Do you think I can go for new testing (buster) yet with these specs. or should i stay with Stretch during computer's life?

Thanks.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Lysander

Re: Is Buster too much for an Old Laptop?

#2 Post by Lysander »

Having never run testing myself, all I can say is that if your computer is indeed "working like a charm" with Stretch, I would not change it.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

I've never understood why this OP bothers to post questions like this, since the only person on planet Earth who can answer it is himself.

tl;dr: try it and see.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

dasein wrote:I've never understood why this OP bothers to post questions like this, since the only person on planet Earth who can answer it is himself.
Been wondering the same for a while now.
bester69 wrote:The system is working like a charm, but i feel its already coming into obsolescence gap.
So? Don't run monster applications or heavyweight desktop environments on it then. I'm running Stretch(XFCE) on a 1.6GHz atom with 2GB RAM. Works fine. Simply adjust your expectations to the hardware.
Do you think I can go for new testing (buster) yet with these specs. or should i stay with Stretch during computer's life?
Suck it and see?
With Buster I'd expect no (or imperceptible anyway) performance differences, just more bugs and breakage. Whether that's what you want is up to you.
Last edited by steve_v on 2017-07-06 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

working like a charm
KDE Plasma on that? I doubt it, but if you say so, why change it then? You have an ancient machine, nothing will push it any further. No, not new kernel, not new Mesa...nothing. Just leave it like that. You might as well run Jessie.

Nili

#6 Post by Nili »

Told ya, stick with Jessie on a old system or die forever in Jessie. After year 2020 (End of Jessie LTS), disconnect the Internet cable/wireless and use your laptop locally for personal files non-Internet purposes.

I tried Stretch and Buster on a 10 years desktop. It is not the same performance as on Jessie, Both current/next versions have more higher requirements than your laptop or my desktop.

Stick with Jessie stable if you hear me.

Regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote:Told ya, stick with Jessie on a old system or die forever in Jessie. After year 2020 (End of Jessie LTS), disconnect the Internet cable/wireless and use your laptop locally for personal files non-Internet purposes.

I tried Stretch and Buster on a 10 years desktop. It is not the same performance as on Jessie, Both current/next versions have more higher requirements than your laptop or my desktop.

Stick with Jessie stable if you hear me.

Regards!
Ok, But Im using Stretch if you read it for around two years, Its working more or less as Jessie as for performance, just that i can enjoy KDE 5...

I think, this time, i wont update to next version (debian 10).
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

steve_v wrote:...
With Buster I'd expect no (or imperceptible anyway) performance differences, just more bugs and breakage. Whether that's what you want is up to you.
This was, the answer i was looking for... Indeed i updated yesterday to Buster (btrfs snapshots allow you theses things) to see performance's differences, and, as you said, more or less the same performance and some more bugs and breakage.

So My Conclusions for Buster:
- No need to update kernel (keeping the same good one)
- Same branch DE (KDE 5.8.x)--> Same performance experience (Buster version might be a litle bit faster)
- Playonlinux Apps --> Same performance
- Video Apps: VLC, mpv , kodi--> Im not sure, they might be more demanding, similar or less demanding (New codecs might be more efficients)
- LibreOffice: I guess similar performance
- Small Open Source Apps: Same performance
- Graphics firmware: You can keep the same one.(same performance)
- Internet Browsers: They keep growing demands (I retained Opera v42 for ever, for regular using; rest ones i update them for security uses)
- Virtualbox: Retained version

So, i Think, I probably might move on to Buster dragging all features ans apps, without almost losing performance..., but i think, i will buy a new laptop soon.

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
working like a charm
KDE Plasma on that? I doubt it, but if you say so, why change it then? You have an ancient machine, nothing will push it any further. No, not new kernel, not new Mesa...nothing. Just leave it like that. You might as well run Jessie.
I'd say it works ok for my laptop's CPU, but i needed to buy 4GB RAM for KDE 5, dont forget this!
Last edited by bester69 on 2017-07-06 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Seventh

#10 Post by Seventh »

Im sticking with Jessie myself on a 2010 built toshiba laptop (openbox). Maybe if i need a new laptop in the future i will go to stretch.

Nili

#11 Post by Nili »

bester69 wrote:Ok, But Im using Stretch if you read it for around two years, Its working more or less as Jessie as for performance, just that i can enjoy KDE 5...

Yes i know you're into Stretch and tested stretch very long time. But I've always suggested Jessie on your/mine old hardware system.
No that Stretch is not good to our settings. But if you want your laptop fly stick with Jessie , Kernel 3.16 series, minimal installation. Jessie have security updates up to 2020. If your stretch meet your needs then stick on it. My evidence and tests like Jessie more. If you've Laptop/Desktop from 2012 or above Stretch/Buster x64 It is highly recommended.

Regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

bester69

#12 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote:
bester69 wrote:Ok, But Im using Stretch if you read it for around two years, Its working more or less as Jessie as for performance, just that i can enjoy KDE 5...

Yes i know you're into Stretch and tested stretch very long time. But I've always suggested Jessie on your/mine old hardware system.
No that Stretch is not good to our settings. But if you want your laptop fly stick with Jessie , Kernel 3.16 series, minimal installation. Jessie have security updates up to 2020. If your stretch meet your needs then stick on it. My evidence and tests like Jessie more. If you've Laptop/Desktop from 2012 or above Stretch/Buster x64 It is highly recommended.

Regards!
I think to remember Stretch resolved some issues i had with intel graphics (tears issues or so), I also think to remember KDE4 had some crashes, and some google services didnt work propertlly, As for performance, It might be less demanding Jessie, but not quicker, KDE 5 its faster than KDE4 as code was very much improved. My main reason for Stretch was KDE5, and im not regretting.
I'd recommend you to recheck using stretch if your system is x64 and you've similar hardware to mine, i'd also reccommend you to buy some ram if you're lower than 4GB. Perhpaps, that is the reason you stucked in Jessie.

HuangLao

#13 Post by HuangLao »

why are we discussing Buster when Stretch just reached stable? Yes a non stable version of any distro is too much for an old laptop, show the thing some respect at let it rest with a stable version......