Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE5 is the Ultimate Stable Desktop

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
thunderogg

Re: KDE5 is the Ultimate Stable Desktop

#16 Post by thunderogg »

KDE looks good really in Stretch, but the problems I had with connecting my Android devices using MTP, made me stick to Gnome. Maybe I did something wrong. I don't know. But when I found out that not even KDE Connects network browse function works with SD cards, I gave up. :?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

bester69

#17 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:@wizard10000 I love you! That works fine except for nvidia-settings throwing heaps of warnings, although it displays fine. I removed that section for now and believe it may be related to KDE not following freedesktop.org XDG guidelines. I use Harrison Mixbus and the issue came up with plugins display and a Mixbus dev said KDE is the only DE they can't support because of this.

Code: Select all

** (nvidia-settings:11550): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
I ran into the autostart problem ages ago, it's because conky starts before the desktop is drawn. Try:

conky -p 5
A smaller number (seconds) may work too. Just tested, works here. ;)

Have you tried KDE5.9??
You can use Netrunner backports for it, i tested with stable, and it works very well.:

# KDE5.9 Netrunner Backports
deb http://deb.netrunner.com/dci/packages/netrunner/ netrunner-backports backports calamares ds9-artwork ds9-common extras frameworks kde-applications netrunner-desktop netrunner plasma plasmazilla qt5 
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

I will use Plasma 5.9 when it is in Sid repo. I wouldn't be comfortable adding a 3rd party repo for that.

Found a workaround for the warnings generated by nvidia-settings. Add to ~/.bashrc:

# fix for WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
export NO_AT_BRIDGE=1
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Innovate

#19 Post by Innovate »

Have anyone tried mycroft on KDE5 yet?

bester69

#20 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:I will use Plasma 5.9 when it is in Sid repo. I wouldn't be comfortable adding a 3rd party repo for that.
Found a workaround for the warnings generated by nvidia-settings. Add to ~/.bashrc:

# fix for WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
export NO_AT_BRIDGE=1
It is a repo based on debian testing, and you only update DE KDE packages. Do you have installed BTRFS?, you should have it, it's the best linux filesystem in my opinion, it allow you to test anything easilly, and you can rollback in a minit to a previous snapshot,

Thanks to btrfs i can test anything without having to reinstall, I can even install others distros in same partition sharing home subvolume, as i can use home's snapshots without the afraid of messing the home directory by sharing it with others distros.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

edbarx

#21 Post by edbarx »

A good simple Window Manager, now,.... that is the "ultimate". :mrgreen:
Window Managers are too primitive to be of any good use to me as I don't have the luxury of having a pair of very strong eyes. My eyesight is not 7/7 and very small fonts as used by Window Managers make my situation far worse with burning eyes and a blurred vision. Unless Window Managers are provided with a tool to properly configure font rendering quickly, without the ridiculous need of spending hours upon hours fiddling with config files to get a decently sized font, they remain a non option for me. I used XFCE4.* under Devuan Testing which has very good font configuration tools.

The current trend is to make products look alike so that people recognize them more readily. This is happening right now to Gnome and probably to other major desktops like KDE. If Gnome or KDE or whatever, strips down configuration to the extent that I have to use a ridiculously small font, they will also cease to be viable options.

Some people require bigger fonts although not the type of offensive font rendering encountered using high contrast schemes. These have huge fonts rendered in odd colours as if only extemes exist. People may not have the best eyes, but that, does not necessarily mean they must have the worst eyesight.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

bester69

#22 Post by bester69 »

KDE 5.10 in repos

# KDE5.10 Netrunner Backports
deb http://deb.netrunner.com/dci/packages/netrunner/ netrunner-backports backports calamares ds9-artwork ds9-common extras frameworks kde-applications netrunner-desktop netrunner plasma plasmazilla qt5 
Today they updated to 5.10, Ive just updated, right now in testing period, the migration seems correct, kmail and others services working properly

>> So Stretch + KDE5.10

Press links to see in full size capt.
https://s30.postimg.org/bky8epzw1/Escritorio_1_004.png

bester69

#23 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote: KDE 5.10 in repos

# KDE5.10 Netrunner Backports
Today they updated to 5.10, Ive just updated, right now in testing period, the migration seems correct, kmail and others services working properly

>> So Stretch + KDE5.10

Press links to see in full size capt.
https://s30.postimg.org/bky8epzw1/Escritorio_1_004.png
5.10 is heavier than 5.9 and 5.8 and the sddm or/and kwin upgrade gave me a worse behavior--> So I roll back to 5.9.3 snapshot

Im very, very happy with KDE 5.9; 5.10 is some heavier for my old laptop, and 5.8 is more simple. So i'd recommend this version.

bester69

#24 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:
bester69 wrote:...Have you tried KDE5.9??
sunrat wrote:I will use Plasma 5.9 when it is in Sid repo. I wouldn't be comfortable adding a 3rd party repo for that.
Same. I ran 5.9 for awhile when I switched to Neon during the freeze. TBH 5.8 was a good stopping point for Debian as I've found 5.9 to be a little more temperamental than Sid's 5.8.7 is, at least on my machine. I was also running Neon Dev Stable, so it's possible User and LTS editions worked just fine.

I see a little grumbling on /r/kde about Neon and 5.10.4 and there's a flood of Frameworks 5.28 and qt 5.37 source code moving into Sid from Experimental. I've been digging around developer mail lists trying to find out which version of Plasma 5 is coming to Sid but they're still uploading qt framework and I haven't been able to tell from package version numbers which release Sid will be getting.
Neon is based on Ubuntu, you might want to use Netrunner, its using debian testing, but i think you probably can use it with no problems with SID as well. I removed respositories cos they jumped to 5.10, and im staying in 5.9 for ever. I might go back to 5.8.x when they backported last FixBug pack, I will see. the good thing, is btrfs allow me to play with installations :D

deborah-and-ian

#25 Post by deborah-and-ian »

I'm confused: one day, elementaryOS is the perfect distro, the other day it's Debian KDE, now Netrunner. I think I'm going crazy.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Wheelerof4te

#26 Post by Wheelerof4te »

deborah-and-ian wrote:I'm confused: one day, elementaryOS is the perfect distro, the other day it's Debian KDE, now Netrunner. I think I'm going crazy.
Classic distro hopper :D

Zjho

#27 Post by Zjho »

No need to ask which is the very bester distro ..the one that gets all the forum love

runfrodorun

#28 Post by runfrodorun »

Have to say I don't agree, I think a lot of mainstream linux software is getting so bloated that we're on a crash course for becoming the next windows. I've scrapped all my display managers and I just run X11 with i3wm and call it a day.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

debiman

#29 Post by debiman »

y'all suffer from shiny new stuff syndrome...