Caught a hacker, in the act

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Caught a hacker, in the act

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-09 01:32

A while back, I found some really strange things occurring on my computer,
Files deleted, or moved to another directory, other times new files, with nothing but
random letters,... weird,.. I was beginning to think my computer had been compromised, and somebody was messing with me.
Turned out to be true, but in this case it was not "gremlins", today I caught the hacker
in the act...

When I had gone out of the room, he was in his cage, and the door was shut, but not "locked",..... When I came back, this is what I found.
Ok, Bryan, before you go to jail, would you please say hello to everyone:
Hello ! :mrgreen:
GarryRicketson

Re: Caught a hacker, in the act

Postby VentGrey » 2017-08-09 02:04

Your parrots are amazing, (Maybe they use ParrotOS since they are hackers) Do they really speak? Does the little guy there say "Don't break Debian"? :mrgreen:
“I felt myself on the edge of the world; peering over the rim into a fathomless chaos of eternal night.”
― H.P. Lovecraft after trying Debian SidImage
VentGrey

Postby dasein » 2017-08-09 03:31

Proving once again that a machine that isn't physically secure isn't secure at all.
dasein

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-09 03:47

True , on the security thing,.... option, don't leave the parrot or child in the room , with
the computer , and unattended.
Keep the door locked, so no one can get in, when one is not there,... etc.
=================

Well this one is still a baby, and has not really able to talk very well,
but some of the others really do, and sometimes it is not just mimicking
or copying.
The one in the picture , say "maseca, maseca", when he is hungry, maseca is
finely ground corn, sort of like corn meal, I make a "cereal" , and use it to feed
the babies, when they get older, and can start chewing seeds, and more solid stuff,
they lose interest in the cereal,...
There is a documented study, one named Alex
Bryan , is not exactly the same specie, Alex was African Grey Amazon, however Bryan
is similar, but his kind are native to southern Mexico,..
Not just Alex, these birds are extremely intelligent,... a lot depends though on how the bird is raised, and how much one teaches them.
For now guess that is about it, I didn't really put Bryan "in jail" or punish him, it would have the same affect as it would on a young child, that starts to get interested in something, IE: the computer, the parent gets all upset and punishes the kid , the first time
they find the kid doing something with the computer,...later the same parent can not grasp why , when the child gets older , they do not want anything to do with computers.
In reverse, I try to encourage him,.. he is sitting here , right now watching everything I do.
And with tons of interest.
GarryRicketson

Postby kedaha » 2017-08-09 06:06

Classic! :lol:
One has to keep an eye on pets because they can, as reported for instance here also chew through the power supply and other things. I once had a budgerigar called Charlie which is similar to a small parrot and it used to chew the spines of my books.
Maybe you should teach your parrot to repeat that part of Stallman's Free Software Song:
Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
Desktop: Mate with Open Sound System (OSSv4].
Server: LaMp, WordPress; mail server set up as detailed at ispmail.
Debian Stable & Software
Do one thing & do it well.
kedaha

Postby Lysander » 2017-08-09 08:37

GarryRicketson wrote: In reverse, I try to encourage him,.. he is sitting here , right now watching everything I do.
And with tons of interest.

It will be interesting to see in what way that information is processed. It may even be interesting, if possible, to watch him at work. I wonder if he has cognisance of cause and effect with regard to using the computer, i.e. that the keys not only perform functions but that pressing them causes changes on the screen related to those functions, same with the mouse. You could conduct an experiment with Libre Office in a large font or Pinta/GIMP to see if he makes a connection between the two [this is my assuming that he already doesn't know this and that he just enjoys stamping on the keys]. Just don't give him your password!
Lysander

Postby bdtc1 » 2017-08-09 09:33

aptitude install bambam

---

And hopefully your root password is more complicated than "aaaa" !
bdtc1

Postby Innovate » 2017-08-09 10:57

I'm more worried about wall lizards & peters they can go anywhere and mess with pc case fan.
Innovate

Postby Seventh » 2017-08-09 11:40

BryanBug Alpha in progress, hidden algorithm in your systemd init and only bryan knowsit! :wink:

Cool thread Garry.
Seventh

Postby deborah-and-ian » 2017-08-09 12:32

GarryRicketson wrote:today I caught the hacker
in the act...

<3
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
8 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless
deborah-and-ian

Postby None1975 » 2017-08-09 14:47

Nice story! :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian
None1975

Postby stevepusser » 2017-08-09 16:23

Obviously the bird, like a child, needs its own limited guest account. :D Baby parrots learn how to get through life by watching their parents and imitating them, so no doubt it has been watching you and wants to figure out why you spend so much time pushing those buttons.

Watch out with leaving the birb unattended with the computer, though. When older and bored, they have been known to disassemble keyboards, or to chew through cables with fatal results to both bird and machine.

There may be something you could coat cables with to discourage this. I remember reading airports would add artificial grape flavor to any puddles on their grounds to discourage any fowl from drinking or swimming in the water; apparently to birds it tastes horrible. Conversely, they have no receptors for capsaicinoids, which make peppers "hot" to mammals. Your parrots can chow down on the hottest peppers available and ask for more.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.4.1, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.26.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby HuangLao » 2017-08-09 18:18

Garry, this thread made my day! Thank You!

My birds have long passed, but boy do I remember the days of my wife and I coming home and playing the game "where are they". I have a picture somewhere of one parakeet standing on a bookcase next to a mickey and minnie knick-knack. :lol: Reminded me of the scene in ET when he is in the closet with the stuffed animals.
HuangLao

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-09 21:08

Hahh, I have 1 parakeet, (budgie) as well, did have 2 , but the female died recently,... but any way, they are the hardest ones to find, he will do the same, get some where and just not move or anything, sometimes almost right in front of me. He is blue, and his favorite
"hiding spot" is on a blue towel that is hanging in the room.
GarryRicketson

Postby debiman » 2017-08-10 18:20

...isn't that a variant of the cat stress test?

also, it's cracker, not hacker :D (ducks and runs)
debiman

Next

Return to Offtopic