Lightweight browser for older PC's?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Lightweight browser for older PC's?

Postby bester69 » 2017-08-14 03:33

Hi,
Is there any internet browser focus in older spec PC's. I need something like a firefox/chromium browser based on, with a stucked older engine whose develop is based on security updates and optimal performance. Something like a LTS older version of firefox/chromium with just security updates. I meant with each new update, internet browsers need more CPU and RAM, and in older computer they are not workable anymore.

In my case Im stucked in Opera v42 for this reason, a cant update cos it dowgrade performance, and i'd like something that keeps engine with patches like a LTS browser or so. :|
bester69

Re: Lightweight browser for older PC's?

Postby bester69 » 2017-08-14 03:47

Pale Moon is an Open Source Goanna-based web browser completely built from its own, independently developed source that was forked off from Firefox/Mozilla code a number of years ago, and focuses on efficiency and ease of use by carefully selecting features and optimizations to improve the browser's stability and user experience,..

It aims to provide close adherence to official web standards and specifications in its implementation (with minimal compromise), and purposefully excludes a number of features to strike a good balance between general use, performance, and technical advancements on the Web.

Perhaps, I shoud try Pale Moon, It seems to be forked from an older versions of Gecko, furthermore there seems to be much activity development behind it. Im going to test it.
bester69

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-08-14 10:10

Again with the performance issue, eh? I remember telling you before to switch from using KDE to some lighter DE, since the specs on your machine were too low for KDE. But you didn't listen. You say you liked KDE and want to use only it. That's all fine and dandy.

BUT, can you please STOP, I mean REALLY, REALLY STOP with these BS threads? You are wasting people's time when they click on this subforum expecting to find some good new interesting topic, and they find only your whining. I bet Firefox will run great if you would run it on XFCE or LXDE. Or even plain simple Openbox.

Please, use some COMMON SENSE.
Options for users who don't like systemd as Wheezy EOL draws near
Debian 9 GNOME
Intel Pentium 3825U Broadwell
AMD Radeon R5 330m
8GB DDR3 RAM
Wheelerof4te

Postby Lysander » 2017-08-14 11:22

Wheelerof4te wrote:Again with the performance issue, eh? I remember telling you before to switch from using KDE to some lighter DE, since the specs on your machine were too low for KDE. But you didn't listen. You say you liked KDE and want to use only it.

But... KDE is the Ultimate Stable Desktop!
Lysander

Postby MALsPa » 2017-08-14 12:51

bester69 wrote:Perhaps, I shoud try Pale Moon, It seems to be forked from an older versions of Gecko, furthermore there seems to be much activity development behind it. Im going to test it.

Good choice, hopefully, for you. I like using Pale Moon, and it has worked out well for me on my old, piece-of-crap "test" computer.
MALsPa

Postby None1975 » 2017-08-14 13:19

bester69 wrote:Hi,Is there any internet browser focus in older spec PC's. :|

Hello. You can try lightweight Webkit browser following the UNIX philosophy-uzbl browser. Here link https://packages.debian.org/stretch/uzbl.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian
None1975

Postby bester69 » 2017-08-14 13:26

Wheelerof4te wrote:Again with the performance issue, eh? I remember telling you before to switch from using KDE to some lighter DE, since the specs on your machine were too low for KDE. But you didn't listen. You say you liked KDE and want to use only it. That's all fine and dandy.

BUT, can you please STOP, I mean REALLY, REALLY STOP with these BS threads? You are wasting people's time when they click on this subforum expecting to find some good new interesting topic, and they find only your whining. I bet Firefox will run great if you would run it on XFCE or LXDE. Or even plain simple Openbox.

DE dont consume nearly CPU only RAM, and my problem hast to be with CPU consum. I can open up to 20 tabs in chrome/firefox with not any problem. The problem i've is that new engine browsers require more powerfull CPU or graphics chipsets (i really dont know where exactlly the problem is), and rendering tend to lag or go slower than previous versions.

As for KDE 5 and Stretch im really delighted with it, Indeed Im using KDE 5.9, and very pleased with performance. So please...
bester69

Postby bester69 » 2017-08-14 13:30

Lysander wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:Again with the performance issue, eh? I remember telling you before to switch from using KDE to some lighter DE, since the specs on your machine were too low for KDE. But you didn't listen. You say you liked KDE and want to use only it.

But... KDE is the Ultimate Stable Desktop!

Yes, Im agree
bester69

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-14 13:43

Wheelerof4te wrote:Again with the performance issue, eh? I remember telling you before to switch from using KDE to some lighter DE, since the specs on your machine were too low for KDE. But you didn't listen. You say you liked KDE and want to use only it. That's all fine and dandy.

I can not see what he/she posted this time, but if the posts are
not appropriate, or contain spam , please report them.
I don't look at these posts any more.
Thanks
GarryRicketson

Postby bester69 » 2017-08-14 13:44

I think I will finally have to set a firefail script solution for being able to use opera v42, something like this.:

opera.sh
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
#
killall firejail
rm -rf ~/.config/opera
tar -xvf ~/LINUXDEBS/NOBACKUP/operasec.tar.gz
clear
firejail --private=/home/user/.config/opera --dns=8.8.8.8 --dns=8.8.4.4 opera -no-remote &
bester69

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-08-14 13:55

bester69 wrote:DE dont consume nearly CPU only RAM, and my problem hast to be with CPU consum. I can open up to 20 tabs in chrome/firefox with not any problem.

Do you know what RAM actually is? It is a very fast memory used to store "resources" of an application. Once that memory is used up (which is easier under resource hogs such as KDE), your PC/laptop/tablet/Tetris switches to virtual memory (called swap in Linux). And that memory is so slooooooooow when compared to RAM. So yeah, if you really do open 20 browser tabs in KDE on that old PC that you have....well, get it? No? Ok, have it your way then.

Bye.

@Garry He just wants some lighter browser than Firefox, and is asking for suggestions. Instead of searching on the Internet, he comes here asking us. I say this is either spam, or just another one of his attention grabbing posts. Anyway, I won't be answering his posts anymore since he is so stubborn.
Options for users who don't like systemd as Wheezy EOL draws near
Debian 9 GNOME
Intel Pentium 3825U Broadwell
AMD Radeon R5 330m
8GB DDR3 RAM
Wheelerof4te

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-14 15:11

Oh, Ok, I see,... there are many listed in a search,...
GarryRicketson

Postby bester69 » 2017-08-14 16:17

Wheelerof4te wrote:... Instead of searching on the Internet, he comes here asking us. I say this is either spam, or just another one of his attention grabbing
posts. Anyway, I won't be answering his posts anymore since he is so stubborn.
ohh man, this is offtopic forum, not support forum... i dont get why you all so stubborned.. You just take it easy, i dont think im bothering anyone, I just like to exchange points of view with others users, and listen their opinions. I repeat this is not support forum, just offtopic to be relax :roll:

As you might know from others of my own posts, I couldnt work properly with kde until I installed the 4GB.
At first i Upgraded to 2GB RAM, and i could not yet work, so I next upgraded to 4GB, now no more problems anymore with RAM.

By the way, Im a telecommunication engineer, so I do know somethings.
bester69

Postby dasein » 2017-08-14 16:40

bester69 wrote:i dont think im bothering anyone

I know you're joking, because otherwise you'd qualify as clinically delusional.

Wheelerof4te was exactly correct in characterizing every single thread you've ever opened as BS. I have lost count of the number of times you've been called on it. You seem to have an electronic equivalent of Munchausen Syndrome; you post here only to get attention. And as you've been told many times, it's annoying as all fsck.

bester69 wrote:I just like to exchange points of view with others users, and listen their opinions.

No, you like to pretend that your fact-free, pig-headed opinions are technically correct, much less useful.

bester69 wrote:I couldnt work properly with kde until I installed the 4GB.

And yet somehow others manage to make KDE work very nicely in 2GB, and even 1GB for single-purpose use-cases. That really ought to tell you something, and the fact that it doesn't tell you anything speaks volumes about your level of technical cluelessness.

bester69 wrote:By the way, Im a telecommunication engineer, so I do know somethings.

I'm stunned (and frankly deeply skeptical) to hear that you are even an adult. Your posts give every impression of a teenager who lives in his parents' basement.

Wheelerof4te wrote:BUT, can you please STOP, I mean REALLY, REALLY STOP with these BS threads? You are wasting people's time...

+ You are a one-person time-and-attention sinkhole.
dasein

Postby stevepusser » 2017-08-15 02:31

There's also Qupzilla: the latest 2.1.2 is backported for Stretch from Sid here: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... a/qupzilla

If you don't want to add the repo, you can go directly into the i386 or amd64 folders and download the libqubzilla1 and qupzilla debs for manual installation: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ebian_9.0/

Though its appimage might incorporate a newer qtwebengine than Stretch has available, and thus be more secure. Though when I tested the backport and the appimage on an HTML5 compliance site, the scores were identical. Seamonkey may also be worth a look.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Next

Return to Offtopic