Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lightweight browser for older PC's?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Nili

Re: Lightweight browser for older PC's?

#16 Post by Nili »

This Browser Benchmark is from 2016. I can't guarantee its accuracy but before installing Pale Moon on my old stystem. This link i have taken as reference.

IMHO Pale Moon looks and works very good for odd desktops/laptops. I like aswell for other reason. Have ALSA sound in default, GTK2, Mozilla Firefox old style. Have no Adobe Flash in default, Have no CISCO open h264*... Exactly have zero plugins installed.

It is worth having a look for a while and make your conclusion yourself.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

lbuiyzxl

#17 Post by lbuiyzxl »

What is hardware information of your older PC?
Already try zram and lxde-core?
I'm sorry for my bad English skills
I'm don't want to be a nuisance.

deborah-and-ian

#18 Post by deborah-and-ian »

I can relate to what you post as I have a netbook that had similar issues. It has a very weak Atom CPU and 2 GB RAM. Let me tell you that the RAM rarely is the issue. I mean, sure, browsers do take a lot of RAM, but it's between 500-1 GB. Still my netbook was churning. It had no problems using a full featured DE like Mate or even KDE without compositing. Even playing HD video was fine. But the browser was the only bottle neck. And no, switching from Xfce or Mate to Openbox, Awesome, whatever didn't help. The CPU was weak and that was it.

My suggestion is to use a very lean browser for sites where you just need the text and normal images. Like dillo or even elinks on the console. For the heavy stuff like javascript, the Webkit browsers are usually leaner on CPU usage. My suggestion is then to use Qupzilla. To be secure, get it from one of the mentioned backport repos or best from the Appimage provided on their website. Don't use the Debian version, as webkit will soon be outdated even in Stretch and I don't think Debian has an update policy for it in mind. Pale Moon would be my 2nd suggestion.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Lysander

#19 Post by Lysander »

bester69 wrote: Yes, Im agree
I think your irony chip has shorted.

Use Lynx. I promise you you'll have no RAM issues.

bester69

#20 Post by bester69 »

Ive tested qupzilla and Palemoon, palemoon do weirds thing likes rendering with movil look layout some pages, qupzilla seems to work better, i dont like them..

I always come back to a browser based on chrome, so I went to Chrome Changelog version history ,and to opera pub, to trace the version engine used for each opera version, and to the Chrome's changelog to see what version might consider to install in order to performance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Ch ... on_history
https://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/

I installed some opera versions with differents chrome engines/ javascript engines, tested performances, and curiously, i couldnt improve what i already had (Opera v42.x.517). Opera v42.x.517 --> Chrome/55.0.2883.87

Operav42 is a compilation from 26-Jan-2017, so its a worthy browser, still a young one to come into engine features obsolescence.
--> I recommned OperaV42 or OperaV44 if you are getting some lag with web pages.

There are lighters and fater Opera versions for older pc's such as Opera (26-29) using earliers chrome engines (from Dec-2014 on), but they give you a gui version of opera some poor. And a closer chrome engine to obsolescence web features.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#21 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote:This Browser Benchmark is from 2016. I can't guarantee its accuracy but before installing Pale Moon on my old stystem. This link i have taken as reference.

IMHO Pale Moon looks and works very good for odd desktops/laptops. I like aswell for other reason. Have ALSA sound in default, GTK2, Mozilla Firefox old style. Have no Adobe Flash in default, Have no CISCO open h264*... Exactly have zero plugins installed.

It is worth having a look for a while and make your conclusion yourself.
Can you do that test with differents chromium versions???

As you've got an old laptop, I'd like to know what chromium versions is fastests with old laptops. You can install easilly differents chrome engines with Opera:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pylkko

#22 Post by pylkko »

Lysander wrote:

I used to think that was a good idea until I read an interview of Stallman where he said that he just wgets the internet pages. Lynx is quite heavy I'd say.

deborah-and-ian

#23 Post by deborah-and-ian »

pylkko wrote:I read an interview of Stallman where he said that he just wgets the internet pages
I think that might be a great idea for my upcoming project of using the Internet only a couple of hours a day productively instead of always being on and distracted. A lot of the sites I'm on basically convey text information. There's hardly any need to get all the page content if I'm honest. Thanks for mentioning. I'll be looking for a howto.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

bester69

#24 Post by bester69 »

pylkko wrote:
Lysander wrote:

I used to think that was a good idea until I read an interview of Stallman where he said that he just wgets the internet pages. Lynx is quite heavy I'd say.
Lynx, doenst make any sense unless you need browse internet in mode console.. you always can disable pics and javascript and get a better experience with any browser than with Lynx. I do this whenever i need to consume the less possible data movil and give internet portatil to my laptop.

debiman

#25 Post by debiman »

pylkko wrote:I used to think that was a good idea until I read an interview of Stallman where he said that he just wgets the internet pages. Lynx is quite heavy I'd say.
but he doesn't do it because of lightweightness - he does it so he can look at the pages while being offline.
the ultimate protection against... erm... i forget what was it all the tinfoilhatters are protecting themselves against... ahh, attacks!

pylkko

#26 Post by pylkko »

debiman wrote:
pylkko wrote:I used to think that was a good idea until I read an interview of Stallman where he said that he just wgets the internet pages. Lynx is quite heavy I'd say.
but he doesn't do it because of lightweightness - he does it so he can look at the pages while being offline.
the ultimate protection against... erm... i forget what was it all the tinfoilhatters are protecting themselves against... ahh, attacks!
Yeah, no, I'll take credit for that invention. He probably uses Emacs to read em. Why bother? Just cat. More lightweight, you see.

pylkko

#27 Post by pylkko »

deborah-and-ian wrote:
pylkko wrote:I read an interview of Stallman where he said that he just wgets the internet pages
I think that might be a great idea for my upcoming project of using the Internet only a couple of hours a day productively instead of always being on and distracted. A lot of the sites I'm on basically convey text information. There's hardly any need to get all the page content if I'm honest. Thanks for mentioning. I'll be looking for a howto.
By the way you can also use a feed reader to just fetch the text from many pages, many pages where all the images are advertisements..

Nili

#28 Post by Nili »

bester69 wrote:Can you do that test with differents chromium versions???

As you've got an old laptop, I'd like to know what chromium versions is fastests with old laptops. You can install easilly differents chrome engines with Opera:
I have only tested Chromium from Debian repository a few days ago.

But i wasn't so much happy with font rendering as well memory usage.
I am a long time user of Pale Moon which i find myself better on this browser. Sorry I can not help you with Opera.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

n_hologram

#29 Post by n_hologram »

bester69 wrote:I always come back to a browser based on chrome
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

n_hologram

#30 Post by n_hologram »

bester69 wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:... Instead of searching on the Internet, he comes here asking us. I say this is either spam, or just another one of his attention grabbing
posts. Anyway, I won't be answering his posts anymore since he is so stubborn.
ohh man, this is offtopic forum, not support forum... i dont get why you all so stubborned.. You just take it easy, i dont think im bothering anyone, I just like to exchange points of view with others users, and listen their opinions. I repeat this is not support forum, just offtopic to be relax :roll:

As you might know from others of my own posts, I couldnt work properly with kde until I installed the 4GB.
At first i Upgraded to 2GB RAM, and i could not yet work, so I next upgraded to 4GB, now no more problems anymore with RAM.

By the way, Im a telecommunication engineer, so I do know somethings.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 69#p653013
bester69 wrote:I like forums in which you can just interact, but i like to take it all with some humor. So i like offtopic and come here in mode troll or ironic sometimes, just to have a good time.
I genuinely thought you had some form of Aspberger's until I ran across this thread.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Gaius

#31 Post by Gaius »

Last edited by Gaius on 2018-10-12 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Albert Einstein

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

For really truly old machines, I recently added a 32-bit palemoon-nonsse2 package to my repo that does not require SSE2--examples are some old AMD Athlon or Via processors.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#33 Post by debiman »

Gaius wrote:Image
ein bild sagt mehr als tausend worte...
yeah, let's keep on flogging it!
:mrgreen:

THX1138b

#34 Post by THX1138b »

I don't know why there are some people in this thread being dicks instead of suggesting lightweight browsers. Qupzilla is considerably faster than Firefox. Additionally, I've disabled Netscape plugins, Javascript and Java but I have very simple requirements.

Dillo is the fastest browser I've used but it's virtually useless because it doesn't format pages properly.
antiX 16, Wyse V90L thin client with VIA Eden 32-bit 800 MHz CPU and 1 GB 533 MHz DDR2
Raspberry Pi 3 B and 3 B+, both running Raspbian Stretch

We don't inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.

Thorny

#35 Post by Thorny »

THX1138b wrote:I don't know why there are some people in this thread being dicks instead of suggesting lightweight browsers.
They aren't being "dicks", they're having a bit of fun. If you take the time to read more of bester69's threads, you'd find that the OP doesn't mind a bit of criticism and comes here to have fun too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if bester69 is chuckling too. After all, this is the Offtopic Forum.