Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Saying goodbye thread

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
kedaha

Re: Saying goodbye thread

#16 Post by kedaha »

Wheelof4te wrote:Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
For those who fear Debian won't last long in the croc-infested OS Swamp, there's always Slackware, which is still guided by its creator.
Lead on the Benevolent_dictator_for_life!
Lead on? Wouldn't the concept of personal guidance be contrary to Ian Murdock's own criterion for the success of Debian?
Yea and I was in school and basically at that point we had a thriving community. We had infrastructure, we had lots of users. And my final test as to whether or not Debian succeeded was: could the founder step away from the project and could the project keep going because that is the only point at which you know that the project has basically taken a life of its own.
Quoted here.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

deborah-and-ian

#17 Post by deborah-and-ian »

kedaha, that's too many facts and it's not aggressive enough! Isn't it more interesting to spill bile and end times scenarios of Red Hat conspiracies, Lennart Poettering raping our sisters, Arch Linux shoving DRM videos up our cavities and systemd trying to smother our toasters? Without the guidance of the mythical guru Ian, Debian is turning to crap. And by mythical Ian, I don't mean the real historical person and all the real things he said that can be found online, I mean this reactionary conspiracy theory version of him that apparently stepped down when Wheezy went EOL (thanks Wheeler for this "information"). All that's left to do is to leave the sinking ship and go to Slackware... Well, that's not enough. Let's all just go into our nuclear basements and build Linux from Scratch with the software snapshot of before systemd, PulseAudio or even Red Hat were conceived in someone's mind. I might still have a working CD ROM of Ygdrasil Linux somewhere. See you in 30 years. Gear up on weapons, you'll need them against Lennart Skynet.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

VentGrey

#18 Post by VentGrey »

I can't make out if that "Debian thing" has conceived and has a wee little Devuan growing n side it or just been shot! :mrgreen:
Kids, this is how derivative babies are made :D
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

HuangLao

#19 Post by HuangLao »

deborah-and-ian wrote:kedaha, that's too many facts and it's not aggressive enough! Isn't it more interesting to spill bile and end times scenarios of Red Hat conspiracies, Lennart Poettering raping our sisters, Arch Linux shoving DRM videos up our cavities and systemd trying to smother our toasters? Without the guidance of the mythical guru Ian, Debian is turning to crap. And by mythical Ian, I don't mean the real historical person and all the real things he said that can be found online, I mean this reactionary conspiracy theory version of him that apparently stepped down when Wheezy went EOL (thanks Wheeler for this "information"). All that's left to do is to leave the sinking ship and go to Slackware... Well, that's not enough. Let's all just go into our nuclear basements and build Linux from Scratch with the software snapshot of before systemd, PulseAudio or even Red Hat were conceived in someone's mind. I might still have a working CD ROM of Ygdrasil Linux somewhere. See you in 30 years. Gear up on weapons, you'll need them against Lennart Skynet.
You might not be aware of this, however, there was a time when Ian approached Patrick V. regarding merging Debian and Slackware projects together. It almost happened. Now I need to find the interview to post a reference.

Edit: Found it.... https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2750

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#20 Post by 4D696B65 »

HuangLao wrote: You might not be aware of this, however, there was a time when Ian approached Patrick V. regarding merging Debian and Slackware projects together.
Ian approached Patrick?
Ian Murdock (of the Debian distribution) and I have tossed around the idea of a merger since last fall.

HuangLao

#21 Post by HuangLao »

4D696B65 wrote:
HuangLao wrote: You might not be aware of this, however, there was a time when Ian approached Patrick V. regarding merging Debian and Slackware projects together.
Ian approached Patrick?
Ian Murdock (of the Debian distribution) and I have tossed around the idea of a merger since last fall.
You got it.

Lysander

#22 Post by Lysander »

HuangLao wrote:
4D696B65 wrote:
Ian approached Patrick?
You got it.
I think the query was in the syntax?