Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tech Career For A Lazy Person?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
HuangLao

Re: Tech Career For A Lazy Person?

#16 Post by HuangLao »

Gary K wrote:
I thought about QA, but I don't know. I want to avoid a job that would require me to continually learn tons of new skills/technologies (a small amount is ok). Going back to school is not an option (except maybe community college). I need very little money (way beneath poverty line). I'd rather choose something I can do from home/part time/freelance.

Any ideas?
Well, if you don't like learning you could always flip burgers, be a garbage collector, work on an assembly line, etc....

Guess I've never understood people who don't like learning. There is an old saying that addresses this idea: The day you stop learning is the day you die. Sounds as if you're pretty close to dying to me.

I'm an old retired guy, and I still spend time learning: five or six hours every day. I'm physically dying, bad heart, but my curiousity keeps me reading and learning. It's that curiousity about things that most likely keeps me alive. To tell the truth, I pity the person who has so little curiousity about whatever they find in life that learning is something they think is a negative.

Any job that will keep a person's interest over any length of time is going to require learning. Just taking pride in your skill level at that job means thinking about it and thus learning on a continuing basis. An artist, whether they be a musician, writer, or painter, learns until they die. A professional basketball player continually learns. A carpenter is always learning. Anyone who is any good at what they do learns every day. Anyone who takes pride in doing a job well will always be looking at how they can do their job better.

I don't think you know who you are for you seemingly look at work as something to be endured and something you want to put as little effort into as possible. If you knew who you are you would know what you love doing. Find what you love doing and you will never "work" a day in your life, and you will love learning until the day you die.
+infinity

kedaha

Re: Tech Career For A Lazy Person?

#17 Post by kedaha »

(This is tongue-in-cheek :wink: ).
I think that running a Debian stable server is the ideal system for a Lazy Person. The only caveat is that getting everything up and running involves a lot of hard work but the reward is that when the initial work is over, then one can sit back idly, for example on a deck chair in some sunny location 8) , while the system just works. Administrative efforts are reduced to a minimum and apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and backing up the system are at the pinnacle of systems maintenance.
But good things come to an end; current stable becomes old stable or even to oldold stable and "end-of-life" or EOL is reached when the systems administrator must stir from his habitual lethargy and upgrade, which can be a bit of a bummer.
Conclusion: Hint: A Tech Career using Debian stable may well be a solution to the problem.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.