Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems booting files from my usb

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Idonotknow

Problems booting files from my usb

#1 Post by Idonotknow »

I have successfully exported all the files from an ISO file onto my USB. However, whenever I select my USB from the boot menu, it loads up a black screen. I assume this is because I downloaded a faulty ISO file, but I am unable to remove the files from my USB for some reason. I believe this is because I don't have the right user permissions, but the same thing occurred when I tried removing them via terminal as root. So my question is, how do I replace the files in my USB with ones from a different ISO?

(Edit: I do not believe I installed a malware, since I downloaded this file from the official Microsoft website.)

Palmstroem

Re: Problems booting files from my usb

#2 Post by Palmstroem »

If you try to boot from your USB stick and get a black screen then the firmware bootloader does not recognize the USB as bootable. You said
I have successfully exported all the files from an ISO file
Maybe the error lies here. Start your computer in Linux, plug in the USB stick, look (as superuser) with

Code: Select all

dmesg
how the stick is recognized (for example, under /dev/sdb), and then use a low-level copy tool (as superuser) to move the one-and-only ISO file to your stick, e.g.

Code: Select all

dd if=/path-to-your-iso-file.iso of=/dev/sdb
Make sure /dev/sdb is the right device, otherwise you could destroy data on your disks.

Reboot and the OS on the USB stick should start.

Idonotknow

#3 Post by Idonotknow »

I followed these instructions, and the USB still won't boot properly. I am positive that I am using the right USB device.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby Idonotknow » 2017-08-30 20:45
I have successfully exported all the files from an ISO file onto my USB
I think maybe it would help if the OP clarifies ,exactly what ISO file, ? Where did they get
it ?
by Idonotknow »
(Edit: I do not believe I installed a malware, since I downloaded this file from the official Microsoft website.)
At risk of getting some people angry, (windows lovers) but, I avoid anything from Microsoft,
it is all mal ware, that is to say, it does not work on a Linux or Debian system.

Idonotknow

#5 Post by Idonotknow »

I think maybe it would help if the OP clarifies ,exactly what ISO file, ? Where did they get
it ?
I downloaded Windows 10 from the Microsoft website, and have been attempting to switch operating systems for compatibility with my work.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

OP, sorry to sound brash, but what the hell are you talking about? Which file did you download from the MS website? Which OS are you trying to use, what are you even trying to accomplish? How did you 'transfer' the ISO, which software did you use? It's like trying to put together an Ikea cabinet without instructions.
Last edited by Lysander on 2017-08-31 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

If you used the Windows iso creator (online) then it should give you the option to write it direct to your usb device, it's what I did when I wanted to get rid of all the manufacturers software, and it worked without issue that way.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

by Idonotknow » I downloaded Windows 10 from the Microsoft website, and have been attempting to switch operating systems for compatibility with my work.

So why are you asking about this on a Debian, forum ?

Windows 10 is not even Linux, nor Debian.

Idonotknow

#9 Post by Idonotknow »

GarryRicketson wrote:So why are you asking about this on a Debian, forum ?

Windows 10 is not even Linux, nor Debian.
I am trying to switch to Windows 10 from Debian, and was hoping I could receive some guidance on how to do so. Sorry if my questions seem a little vague, I am fairly new to this operating system.

Lysander wrote:OP, sorry to sound brash, but what the hell are you talking about? Which file did you download from the MS website? Which OS are you trying to use, what are you even trying to accomplish? How did you 'transfer' the ISO, which software did you use?It's like trying to put together an Ikea cabinet without instructions.
I downloaded Windows 10 Creators edition, and transfered it by using dd if=/path-to-your-iso-file.iso of=/dev/sdb via terminal.

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

by Idonotknow »I am trying to switch to Windows 10 from Debian, and was hoping I could receive some guidance on how to do so. Sorry if my questions seem a little vague, I am fairly new to this operating system.
Then you need to ask them at the MS forums, how to install it.

You can completely 0 out the drive, remove all the files, using the 'dd' command
as mentioned. To install Windows 10 on it, is NOT a Linux or Debian issue. It is a
Microsoft issue.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-08-31 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Idonotknow

#11 Post by Idonotknow »

GarryRicketson wrote: Then you need to ask them at the MS forums, how to install it.

You can completely 0 out the drive, remove all the files, using the 'dd' command
as mentioned. To install Windows 10 on it, is NOT a Linux or Debian issue. It is a
Microsift issue.
Ok, thank you for the clarification. Sorry for all the confusion.