GTK YouTube Viewer in Q4OS?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: GTK YouTube Viewer in Q4OS?

Postby bester69 » 2017-09-07 23:43

RogerRoger wrote:stevepusser Thanks for the info. I tested QMplay2, and it works great. :D

I tried some kind of thoses youtube viewers solutions in the past, and even used minitube for a while, and finally the most usefull solution its to use mpv (gnome-mpv) or vlc, with support drag&drop youtube links. Im using drag&drop with gnome-mpv to watch youtube videos in a more conveniently way. that using the flash embeded. The funny thing is that i discovered drag&drop was supported recentlly. :lol:
bester69

Postby debiman » 2017-09-08 05:44

RogerRoger, with youtube constantly changing it's api, you need software that keeps up with it.
imo, the only one right now is youtube-dl.
it does not have a fancy interface or search capabilites, but some software (notably mpv) is able to integrate it.
it has a '-U' (=update itself) command line option. use it whenever you run into weird errors.

PS: plus one for Q4OS. should i ever need to install linux for a windows user on an old machine, it will be q4os.
debiman

Postby stevepusser » 2017-09-08 18:47

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO. The OP should just have said they are looking for a Jessie-compatible packages.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby bester69 » 2017-09-08 19:26

stevepusser wrote:Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO. The OP should just have said they are looking for a Jessie-compatible packages.

Ive been using mpv for so long without any problem with youtube, so i dont see that problem happening since two years or so. Dont see the point for using thoses tinny players, when we can use vlc,mpv, kodi or totem to watch youtube videos.
bester69

Postby stevepusser » 2017-09-08 20:01

"Tinny"? I didn't add any tin when I built the packages. :D

Anyway, don't knock QMPlay2 if you don't know anything about it. It can do a whole lot more than just play and download Youtube videos, a heck of a lot more.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby debiman » 2017-09-09 06:25

stevepusser wrote:Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.
+2 to that then!

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO.

and another one to that!
debiman

Previous

Return to Offtopic