Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GTK YouTube Viewer in Q4OS?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
debiman

Re: GTK YouTube Viewer in Q4OS?

#16 Post by debiman »

RogerRoger, with youtube constantly changing it's api, you need software that keeps up with it.
imo, the only one right now is youtube-dl.
it does not have a fancy interface or search capabilites, but some software (notably mpv) is able to integrate it.
it has a '-U' (=update itself) command line option. use it whenever you run into weird errors.

PS: plus one for Q4OS. should i ever need to install linux for a windows user on an old machine, it will be q4os.

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO. The OP should just have said they are looking for a Jessie-compatible packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#18 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.

All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO. The OP should just have said they are looking for a Jessie-compatible packages.
Ive been using mpv for so long without any problem with youtube, so i dont see that problem happening since two years or so. Dont see the point for using thoses tinny players, when we can use vlc,mpv, kodi or totem to watch youtube videos.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

"Tinny"? I didn't add any tin when I built the packages. :D

Anyway, don't knock QMPlay2 if you don't know anything about it. It can do a whole lot more than just play and download Youtube videos, a heck of a lot more.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#20 Post by debiman »

stevepusser wrote:Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the current version of QMPlay2 downloads and keeps current youtube-dl for its download "engine". Youtube-dlg (youtube download GUI) also does the same thing, but you have to manually keep abreast of updates to youtube-dl.
+2 to that then!
All the kerfluffle about Q4OS not being a true Debian is beside the point, IMO.
and another one to that!