Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Very happy with Etch

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
plugwash

#16 Post by plugwash »

bash is fine as an interactive shell but its a bit heavyweight for shell scripts.

dash is a minimal bourne like shell more suited to simple shell scripts and considerablly faster for such uses.

The problem is if you don't make the /bin/sh link point at it then hardly anyone will use it but if you do make the /bin/sh link point at it (like ubunutu did) you will get lots of breakage of software that assumed /bin/sh will always mean bash.

AgenT

#17 Post by AgenT »

plugwash wrote:bash is fine as an interactive shell but its a bit heavyweight for shell scripts.

dash is a minimal bourne like shell more suited to simple shell scripts and considerablly faster for such uses.

The problem is if you don't make the /bin/sh link point at it then hardly anyone will use it but if you do make the /bin/sh link point at it (like ubunutu did) you will get lots of breakage of software that assumed /bin/sh will always mean bash.
Thank you for explaining that. I think that I will stick to bash and my advanced bash scripting ability.