Very happy with Etch

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Postby plugwash » 2007-04-12 22:55

bash is fine as an interactive shell but its a bit heavyweight for shell scripts.

dash is a minimal bourne like shell more suited to simple shell scripts and considerablly faster for such uses.

The problem is if you don't make the /bin/sh link point at it then hardly anyone will use it but if you do make the /bin/sh link point at it (like ubunutu did) you will get lots of breakage of software that assumed /bin/sh will always mean bash.
plugwash

Postby AgenT » 2007-04-13 00:27

plugwash wrote:bash is fine as an interactive shell but its a bit heavyweight for shell scripts.

dash is a minimal bourne like shell more suited to simple shell scripts and considerablly faster for such uses.

The problem is if you don't make the /bin/sh link point at it then hardly anyone will use it but if you do make the /bin/sh link point at it (like ubunutu did) you will get lots of breakage of software that assumed /bin/sh will always mean bash.
Thank you for explaining that. I think that I will stick to bash and my advanced bash scripting ability.
AgenT

Previous

Return to Offtopic