Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Only eth0 in a virtual machine, no wlan0 possible?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
s0drak

Only eth0 in a virtual machine, no wlan0 possible?

#1 Post by s0drak »

Hello,

I've searched and didn't really see a thread for what I'm looking for. I'm computer savvy but not the best at Linux.

I've used the Kali Linux 64 bit VBox image in VirtualBox. Everything is up and running nicely. I'm attempting to capture handshakes on my own router to learn, but VirtualBox will only bridge my wireless adapter as a wired connection. Instead of a wlan0, I have an eth0 adapter, etc. I'm just starting out and following a tutorial on how to use some of the tools, but it's only talking about wlan0 (obviously).

If Kali can't have a wireless adapter in a virtual machine, how do I use it? Am I missing something or not understanding correctly? I appreciate any help with this question. Thank you!

stevepusser

Re: Only eth0 in a virtual machine, no wlan0 possible?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Kali is designed to be used in a live pendrive session...
MX Linux packager and developer

s0drak

#4 Post by s0drak »

arochester wrote:Kali Linux Forums >>> https://forums.kali.org/
Yes, I asked the same question in their forum. A moderator didn't approve the post because it was more of a linux question and not a Kali question.

I registered in another linux forum. I wasn't allowed to post for some reason, so I am now at the Debian forum since Kali uses Debian.

s0drak

#5 Post by s0drak »

stevepusser wrote:Kali is designed to be used in a live pendrive session...
OK, so running a virtual machine on a desktop is useless as I will never get a wireless adapter going. Got it. I'll go the live pendrive session route like you mention. Thank you.