I didn't choose GNU/Linux because it's free..

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

I didn't choose GNU/Linux because it's free..

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-31 06:40

..but I chose it because:
1) There are barely any viruses for this platform and the risk to get malware or spyware is very low.

2) If I want to install something, I do it with a single command in the Terminal; no need for downloading lots of setup executables that waste space on my hard disk.

3) It doesn't read the file extension to determine what type a file is. You can rename a PNG file to MP3 if you like, but GNU/Linux still understands it as PNG.

4) No need for drivers. Ok, your mileage may vary, but I got GNU/Linux to run on my PC without any drivers smoothly and every device worked correctly.

5) It gives very useful debugging data incase a crash happened; In other platforms, they just give you a blue screen with data that even alien wouldn't understand (I guess you know what platform ;) )

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many say that the strength of GNU/Linux would be that it is free as in free speech freedom whatever, but that isn't the case (for me, atleast). I would happily pay for Debian if it was commercial, simply because of the above mentioned plus-features. GNU/Linux does have some minus-features, but that is most likely caused because companies won't port their drivers/programs to GNU/Linux.
thamarok

Postby Dargor » 2007-03-31 07:09

Same, i was quite happy pirating windows:)

Linux is more interesting/leet'er and it doesnt assume I'm a noob.

But most importantly i can do whatever i want, no one is forcing DRM on me.
Dargor

Postby sinical » 2007-03-31 07:17

DRM is a non-issue. Its a hopeless cause, crackers will win
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-31 08:05

Oh yeah, I forgot the most important one: No DRM.
Thanks for pointing it out Dargor!

I actually don't understand why Microsoft and the other companies want to "control" the way how we use our PC's.. it's like we would be their marionettes.. right?
thamarok

Postby sinical » 2007-03-31 10:35

thamarok wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the most important one:

Most important reason,

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install supertux

8)
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-31 12:18

sinical wrote:Most important reason,

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install supertux

8)
:lol:
thamarok

Postby rasebo » 2007-03-31 12:47

Well... I've chosen GNU/Linux for all the reasons that thamarok put above but also because it was free. At the beginning because I saw it being free as in free beer. Later on, i found out that the real freedom was as in free speech. And I began to really love this kind of freedom...

Sebastian.
rasebo

Re: I didn't choose GNU/Linux because it's free..

Postby AgenT » 2007-03-31 13:27

thamarok wrote:I would happily pay for Debian
No one is stopping you. Donate! Donate to the Debian project, to non-Debian programmers of projects that you use, and/or to the FSF. You may not think that freedom is important, but without it and the FSF neither Debian nor GNU/Linux would exist.
AgenT

Re: I didn't choose GNU/Linux because it's free..

Postby thamarok » 2007-03-31 14:31

AgenT wrote:
thamarok wrote:I would happily pay for Debian
No one is stopping you. Donate! Donate to the Debian project, to non-Debian programmers of projects that you use, and/or to the FSF. You may not think that freedom is important, but without it and the FSF neither Debian nor GNU/Linux would exist.
But if the whole world would use free as in freedom software like GNU/Linux, how can people pay server bills and other stuff? Collecting donations only just isn't enough. That's why I somehow prefer the idea of having a commercial and a free "lite" or limited version of some software.
thamarok

Postby Fluenza » 2007-03-31 16:15

I didn't choose Linux because it was free either. I just wanted to try it. That's really all there is to it. I installed it to try it, and I liked it. So I kept it.

It was love at first install. :lol:
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)
Fluenza

Postby Hevoos » 2007-03-31 17:27

I see no other reason why to choose Debian other than "apt-get moo". ;)

No really I chose it because it has no DRM, it's free and it's much better than windows. Windows doesn't let me do what I want with my system, the Debian developers don't care and that's freedom for me. ;)
Hevoos

Postby benuski » 2007-03-31 17:28

I didn't begin to use GNU/Linux because it was free; I did what a lot of people did, tried something new after being fed up with Windows. However, now I've become dedicated to free software principles, so I guess I've been totally converted.
benuski

Postby nP » 2007-04-01 00:32

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_viruses wrote:Virus scanners are available for Linux systems in order to scan for Windows viruses and protect downstream Email users with Windows systems.

^_^
nP

Postby Jackiebrown » 2007-04-04 01:28

h3llfire wrote: At the beginning because I saw it being free as in free beer. Later on, i found out that the real freedom was as in free speech. And I began to really love this kind of freedom...

Sebastian.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If windows became more secure and free (as in beer) I still wouldn't go back for that very reason.
Jackiebrown

Postby Pobega » 2007-04-04 01:47

http://marc.info/?l=debian-user&m=117563015610121&w=2

A mail I wrote today on debian-user. Pretty much sums up how I feel about Debian, why I chose Debian, and all of that.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh
Pobega

Next

Return to Offtopic