The first Linux-ready, 64-bit RISC-V SoC

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

The first Linux-ready, 64-bit RISC-V SoC

Postby pylkko » 2017-10-05 16:46

Some people on this forum might find this interesting, as there have been some discussions here about RISC-V, the open instruction set, and possible real (future) processors based on it.

So far there have only been micro-controller type cips that only run bare metal code (no OS). So SiFive have announced that they will be releasing a chip that can run Linux. But if I remember correctly, the Linux port isn't ready yet, but the developers are aiming at 4.15. GCC is already ported. Nevertheless, these chips are appreantly already available, even though they will firstly only be directed at companies that want to use them in products. They claim that a dev board for the general public will be out in 2018. I really wonder if the Raspberry pi foundation will go with this, especially since ARM was sold from their town to owners in was it Japan and I have understood that the new owners want to keep hiking up the license fees.

https://www.sifive.com/posts/2017/10/04 ... x-support/
pylkko

Re: The first Linux-ready, 64-bit RISC-V SoC

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-10-06 17:17

Thanks pylkko!

There is also lowRISC but it looks like SiFive have beaten them to it:

http://www.lowrisc.org/about/
"Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so called powerful programming languages, belong to the solution set rather than the problem set?" — Edsger W. Dijkstra
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: The first Linux-ready, 64-bit RISC-V SoC

Postby pylkko » 2017-10-06 18:04

The lowRISC project claimed that they would come out with a board in 2017, but given that there has been no news from them, I am fairly sure they cannot get anything on the market before this SiFive board. SiFive are also producing their own microcontroller and the Arduino cinque processor, so they are have some real experience under their belt now. Still I think that the lowRISC community is interesting, particularly in that they aim to make a version that is entirely open (as the license allows for partially proprietary design).

This is almost bizarre but the Debian wiki is really up to date on this issue (gotta be a first):

https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V wrote:Status Log

2017-10-05

Version 9 of the kernel upstreaming patchset has been posted to LKML on 2017-09-26. As planned after v8, it has been split into an architecture-core and a driver patchset. The RISC-V architecture maintainer has a kernel.org account now, which is a prerequisite for getting the patches into linux-next, but the actual inclusion into linux-next is still pending as the linux-next maintainer has announced that updating the linux-next tree will be on hold during the whole of October 2017.

So, in other words, a linux capable version of the processor is ready, whereas linux for the processor is not and apparently will not be for some time...
pylkko

Return to Offtopic