Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Android Security

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
makh

Android Security

#1 Post by makh »

Hi

[Deleted by Moderator]

Using AOSP is too common, these days. Unfortunately the debian development is way too slow or other issues, and I cant install debian on my mobile.

What should be done to make the mobile more secure and hack free? All the solutions via play store or other advises/blogs dont seem to be good enough. Any good opensource technique...?

Thankyou
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

HuangLao

Re: Android Security

#2 Post by HuangLao »

there are hacks like:
F-Droid https://f-droid.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

and others, however, to be completely honest the best method is to have your PC be your computer and have your phone be a phone and just a phone. I switched back to a basic flip phone. My GPS is an actual GPS separate from my phone (that only runs when I need it otherwise its off, its also not on your physical body all the time either), I don't text anymore only email or phone calls.....Reason they promote texting so much is its intrinsically easier for the computers/databases to harvest and scan then the human voice.

I did the whole burn a more open OS to the phone, use F-Droid et all....however, for me the best for security and privacy was to go more in the opposite direction. ;)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

makh wrote:What should be done to make the mobile more secure and hack free?
Run an iptables firewall. Use sensible permissions. Don't install random apps. Keep up to date with security news and patches. Limit your attack surface.
Same as a PC really, just common sense.
Personally, I run a modified version of Cyanogen, with no google stuff at all. But my mobile is old, unusual, and options are limited. There are no updates for this model, so I rely on backporting patches and workarounds for vulnerabilities as they emerge.
Using AOSP is too common, these days.
There's nothing wrong with AOSP, all Android builds are based on it. If you don't want to run that, go buy an iphone.

Anyway, hacks are good. Hacking is fun. Go hack something.
If my devices were all "hack-free", I would be very bored.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

alan stone

#4 Post by alan stone »

makh wrote:What should be done to make the mobile more secure and hack free?
Use this to switch it on/off, tap the screen.

And/or only call from here.

:mrgreen:

makh

#5 Post by makh »

Hi
steve_v wrote:...
Personally, I run a modified version of Cyanogen, ...
It doesnt seem that easy to run it using a bootable cd/usb.
steve_v wrote:...
There's nothing wrong with AOSP, all Android builds are based on it. If you don't want to run that, go buy an iphone.
I dont believe that apple products are better than AOSP, from both the privacy and security. If it was, then BSD/OpenBSD should be fully compatible and funtional to install on it, atleast.

makh

#6 Post by makh »

alan stone wrote:Use this to switch it on/off, tap the screen.
Is it FOSS certified? :lol:

alan stone

#7 Post by alan stone »

makh wrote:Is it FOSS certified? :lol:
Nope. FOSH is possible though. :wink: