Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solutions to install without screen?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Solutions to install without screen?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
Ive an old computer without screen, and I'd like to install something in it by using the LAN, So im looking for something (a Liveusb or Livecd?) to give the possibility to do a remote DD in the harddisk of the old laptop.
or
I also would like something (Liveusb or livecd) that bind the screen to my laptop, so i can use it as a remote screen to manage the installation in a remote.

SO im looking for:
1- Mounting the hdd's old pc to install in it with DD.
2- Being able to bind scree in remote laptop, to install without screen.

Do you happend to know what could i use/do??

thanks.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Solutions to install without screen?

#2 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote:im looking for something (a Liveusb or Livecd?) to give the possibility to do a remote DD in the harddisk of the old laptop.
Use a repair/utility livecd that loads an SSH server by default. Partedmagic does, and there are probably others. One can then pipe dd over ssh or netcat.
As for installing Debian, I'd probably install to a local VM, copy the data over with ssh, then chroot into it and install grub. Or use a serial console...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

steve_v wrote:
bester69 wrote:im looking for something (a Liveusb or Livecd?) to give the possibility to do a remote DD in the harddisk of the old laptop.
Use a repair/utility livecd that loads an SSH server by default. Partedmagic does, and there are probably others. One can then pipe dd over ssh or netcat.
As for installing Debian, I'd probably install to a local VM, copy the data over with ssh, then chroot into it and install grub. Or use a serial console...
thanks,a lot. :o

So partedmagic loads by default a ssH, good!, something like that is what I was looking for. And can It be loaded and manage in /dev/ as It was an additional local disk (NAS or something??), so i can edit it with gparted in my laptop; is it possible?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

Don't know about remote access via /dev... probably not going to work as you expect.
Why make things so complicated? Just do the partitioning over SSH, there are plenty of CLI tools for this.
If you want remote GUI stuff, there's always x11 forwarding over ssh. Run gparted on partedmagic and have the window on your laptop. Kinda what X is (was) for...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

steve_v wrote:Don't know about remote access via /dev... probably not going to work as you expect.
Why make things so complicated? Just do the partitioning over SSH, there are plenty of CLI tools for this.
If you want remote GUI stuff, there's always x11 forwarding over ssh. Run gparted on partedmagic and have the window on your laptop. Kinda what X is (was) for...
x11 over ssh, yeah
ok, thanks A LOT, steve :o