Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

List of good Debian based distros.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Bulkley

Re: List of good Debian based distros.

#41 Post by Bulkley »

Capitain_Jack wrote:Do you guys recommend any debian direct derivation distro good for a firewall?
Setting up IPtables is not difficult. I can do it. I used these instructions.

Does your router have a built-in firewall? If so, set it to maximum security. That's the easiest protection.

Wheelerof4te

#42 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Bulkley wrote:Setting up IPtables is not difficult.
Installing gufw is even easier.

Code: Select all

apt install gufw

Capitain_Jack

#43 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Bulkley wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:Do you guys recommend any debian direct derivation distro good for a firewall?
Setting up IPtables is not difficult. I can do it. I used these instructions.

Does your router have a built-in firewall? If so, set it to maximum security. That's the easiest protection.
Ok, I got it, but do you know how the opnsense/pfsense firewall distros are?
"..OPNsense is open source, FreeBSD-based firewall and routing software developed by Deciso, a company in the Netherlands that makes hardware and sells support packages for OPNsense. It is a fork of pfSense, which in turn was forked from m0n0wall, which was built on FreeBSD.[2] It was launched in January 2015.[1] When m0n0wall closed down in February 2015 its creator, Manuel Kaspar, referred its developer community to OPNsense.[3].."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPNsense

They have an html interface to config and manage it, that's what I seek, out of box, derivated directly from Debian, do you know any?

Sometimes, you have a windows head as boss of IT, and one thing taken into consideration is how many hours he'll need to pay for you to set up the firewall, and I love Debian, so....
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

Wheelerof4te

#44 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Capitain_Jack wrote:Sometimes, you have a windows head as boss of IT, and one thing taken into consideration is how many hours he'll need to pay for you to set up the firewall, and I love Debian, so....

apt install gufw
is literally seconds with a good connection :D
Or minutes, if you need to fine-tune the firewall settings.

Capitain_Jack

#45 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:Sometimes, you have a windows head as boss of IT, and one thing taken into consideration is how many hours he'll need to pay for you to set up the firewall, and I love Debian, so....

apt install gufw
Is it a complete solution? With PPtP, IPSec and other things integrated an accessible by a browser based interface? Than no, you do not know what a opnsense type of firewall is...please, take a time to take a look before offering a partial solution.
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#46 Post by 4D696B65 »

Capitain_Jack wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:

apt install gufw
Is it a complete solution? With PPtP, IPSec and other things integrated an accessible by a browser based interface? Than no, you do not know what a opnsense type of firewall is...please, take a time to take a look before offering a partial solution.
Please do not hijack this thread for your firewall questions.
Also try to be polite.

Capitain_Jack

#47 Post by Capitain_Jack »

4D696B65 wrote: Please do not hijack this thread for your firewall questions.
Also try to be polite.
I am not trying to hijack any thread for any other propouse than the topic, witch is about Debian based distros, and I am asking for one that is firewall intended. One not being polite is one posting aswer to a question not even asked, even thought, I am trying to be polite asking if is the program complete into what that distro do.

Is this some kind of pursuing?
Albert Einstein
Buddha

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#48 Post by 4D696B65 »

Capitain_Jack wrote:
4D696B65 wrote: Please do not hijack this thread for your firewall questions.
Also try to be polite.
I am not trying to hijack any thread for any other propouse than the topic, witch is about Debian based distros, and I am asking for one that is firewall intended. One not being polite is one posting aswer to a question not even asked, even thought, I am trying to be polite asking if is the program complete into what that distro do.

Is this some kind of pursuing?
:roll:

Capitain_Jack

#49 Post by Capitain_Jack »

4D696B65 wrote: :roll:
Capitain_Jack wrote:Do you guys recommend any debian direct derivation distro good for a firewall? I've been using opnsense i386 into an old dell server Pentium 4 with sucess, but wish to go Debian without loosing much time and effort on the task, as the machine is suffering from oldness..
Bulkley wrote:Setting up IPtables is not difficult.
Wheelerof4te wrote: Installing gufw is even easier.

apt install gufw
^ @4D696B65 Can you you please point where did I asked for firewall help? Didn't my question was clear enought?
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Thorny

#50 Post by Thorny »

I don't understand what you expect to accomplish by arguing each time an admin of DUF tries to instruct you about what is appropriate here and what is not. Do yourself a favour and try to learn how to operate so you won't always have to be corrected.

I've noticed your signature quote and I understand the ego that caused you to use it. I also noticed your first post in this thread started with a link to yesterday's thread which had to be locked, indicating to me that you didn't learn from it.

I don't think you are being pursued, I think you are being monitored, appropriately.

It's not too late to make useful contributions to DUF. If you are as knowledgeable as you stated in yesterday's post, you should be able to figure this out even though English isn't your first language.

I hope this helps you.

Capitain_Jack

#51 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Thorny wrote:I don't understand what you expect to accomplish by arguing each time an admin of DUF tries to instruct you about what is appropriate here and what is not. Do yourself a favour and try to learn how to operate so you won't always have to be corrected.

I've noticed your signature quote and I understand the ego that caused you to use it. I also noticed your first post in this thread started with a link to yesterday's thread which had to be locked, indicating to me that you didn't learn from it.

I don't think you are being pursued, I think you are being monitored, appropriately.

It's not too late to make useful contributions to DUF. If you are as knowledgeable as you stated in yesterday's post, you should be able to figure this out even though English isn't your first language.

I hope this helps you.
When something is wrong, even if is the administrator or the oldest member, it still wrong, and it's ok, people make mistakes, but than you have to pin ponit where were those failures committed, if you wish to welcome someone that do not know (even that I read the terms and found nothing on my words to let people sick of hate) your secret rules, you must teach him right?

I am sorry if Albert Einstein is someone you don't admire, I do. About the EGO, I am not saying anyone knowledge here is questionable, why are you?? Try to be more polite please.

How many no response threads have you managed to help? It's not a competition, but you cannot say what you said, if you seeked me than you know where I am making contributions, and I don't need to prove you, only help people, you should consider into helping also...
I hope you can answer the topic issue, witch is that I am asking for a direct derivation good distro for a firewall, do you know any?
On my research I found only one, wich has been sold and is not entirely free:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untangle
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Head_on_a_Stick

#52 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Can we please stay on topic folks?

Another one from me:

CrunchBang

(RIP)
deadbang

anticapitalista

#53 Post by anticapitalista »

siduction and kanotix
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Capitain_Jack

#54 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Just to update my previous question about a Debian based distribution that have a web GUI to manage it like pfsense or opnsense.

I have not only found, but the news is even better, I found a nice one software to completly manage a Debian server without having an actual GUI installed, and can make it so by Browser.
This one should be included into Debian repos, where can I make such a suggestion? (another question, I know...)

http://www.webmin.com/

To install on Debian (I added the repository)
http://webmin.com/deb.html
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Caluser2000

#55 Post by Caluser2000 »

Devuan. Installed it on my Celeron 2.8 with one gig of ram and it picked up all of my hardware including wireless. Using MATE as the DE.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#56 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Captain_Jack wrote:This one should be included into Debian repos, where can I make such a suggestion? (another question, I know...)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmin wrote:While Webmin was included in the official repositories of the major GNU/Linux distributions Debian and Ubuntu, it was removed from those because Webmin is not compatible with the way that those distros' packages handle configuration files, and caused unexpected issues with people's systems.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Capitain_Jack

#57 Post by Capitain_Jack »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:This one should be included into Debian repos, where can I make such a suggestion? (another question, I know...)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmin wrote:While Webmin was included in the official repositories of the major GNU/Linux distributions Debian and Ubuntu, it was removed from those because Webmin is not compatible with the way that those distros' packages handle configuration files, and caused unexpected issues with people's systems.
Did you saw the age of that decision? It was back on 2006...
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:26:15 +0100
just now webmin is being removed from the archive. the
ex-maintainer jaldhar@debian.org had filed a bug for it's
removal.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/200 ... 00124.html
...The following operating systems are supported by version 1.881 of Webmin :
Debian Linux...
http://www.webmin.com/support.html
Albert Einstein
Buddha

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#58 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Capitain_Jack wrote:Did you saw the age of that decision? It was back on 2006...
Yep, and nothng has changed in Debian packaging policy or how webmin works.
Use at own risk.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Capitain_Jack

#59 Post by Capitain_Jack »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:Did you saw the age of that decision? It was back on 2006...
Yep, and nothng has changed in Debian packaging policy or how webmin works.
Use at own risk.
Very welcoming your message and explanation. I haven't saw anywhere nothing mentioning that issue, but the maintainer of the package that dropped supporting it by that time. The official website says is compatible without any warning or configuration issue.

It's normal to don't have it on repository and that is because the policy of Debian is very strict, but it does not mean it will break your system or configuration....
Albert Einstein
Buddha

MALsPa

#60 Post by MALsPa »

https://www.salentos.it/

Not sure if others would think SalentOS is a "good" Debian-based distro, but I enjoy using it. Ships with Openbox; the current release ("Neriton") uses the Stretch repos.