Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cosmic revelation, or simulation

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Cosmic revelation, or simulation

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Greg Egan's Permutation City.
Great book!

His latest novel is set in a universe that has two dimensions of space and two dimensions of time :shock:
deadbang

n_hologram

#22 Post by n_hologram »

What if the simulated people that Neo blithely shot in the Matrix were actually self-concious?
I think in the first movie it mentions that they were definitely people, not programs, but because the Agent programs could SSH into normal people whenever it deemed necessary, they all became a liability for the goal of liberating the greater majority of people. Unless you meant the Agents as a program, and not their hosts; in which case, perhaps one might log the output of top as the "killall -9 top" command is run.

Code: Select all

ERROR: It hurts, steve....so...dark
That said, I wonder what pain is felt or maintained by something that is virtually immortal.

There's also a pretty rich tradition of epistemology prevalent in mythological thought. The universe, according to Hindu beliefs, for instance, is nothing more than the dream of the creator deity Vishnu ("Life is but a dream"), in addition to the quasi-schizophrenic idea of Maya (the veil of illusion; all reality is illusion, etc.). Joseph Campbell's books (ie, Hero With a Thousand Faces) touch on some obscure dimensions of all that, and connects it to similar systems of mythological thought.

Unrelated: I dreamed last night that one of my colleagues (not in the computer science/engineering/software fields) recompiled the linux kernel with all the grsec features with no negative repercussions against any programs or GUI features. I think I need to spend a few days camping...
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

edbarx

#23 Post by edbarx »

The problem with investigating how consciousness comes about in a human brain, is the fact that it is a private experience. For this reason the scientific method fails as there is no way to get data without observation. What is known from studying of biological brains is that they are extremely complicated with complex patterns of connections many of which forming intricate feedback loops. Unlike a computer, where a logic circuit, let us say a binary adder must not affect an inverter, in a biological brain, everything seems to be interconnected.

I remember about ten years ago I was interested, and still am, in how consciousness is generated. I searched online for scientific articles making a conscious effort to avoid opinions. After a lot of reading, I came to the conclusion that the best hypothesis to date that attempts to explain consciousness, is Dr Tononi's 'Integrated Information Theory'. The latter is still in its infancy as it cannot explain how the various aspects of consciousness are generated.

In my opinion, please be informed I am no neuroscientist, consciousness is generated at synapses with quantum states at many synapses at different cells, affecting each other as in some form of quantum entaglement that has yet to be understood. This distributed quantum 'dance' is maintained for a period of time by neuronal synchrony. It is known, consciousness only occurs if a large set of neurons oscillate together.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

n_hologram

#24 Post by n_hologram »

On the topic of dreams, I dreamt last night that I wrote a really sophisticated bash script to solve this user's problem: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=136543

I'm disappointed to report that, now that I'm awake, it is not there.
Perchance to dream...
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...