Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED?] Internet Issues

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ticojohn

Re: Internet Issues

#16 Post by ticojohn »

Now this is weird. After a week of really bad connection speeds I did something that seems to have helped the situation and I am totally perplexed. Thinking that maybe there was something messed up on my computer I renamed the folder ~./mozilla and then launched Firefox. I then closed Firefox, deleted the new ~./mozilla folder and restored the older folder as ~./mozilla. The speed is back to normal. What the heck? I am just going to mark this as solved and move on. LOL!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

bw123

Re: Internet Issues

#17 Post by bw123 »

ticojohn wrote:Now this is weird. After a week of really bad connection speeds I did something that seems to have helped the situation and I am totally perplexed.
Maybe somebody nearby has a wireless printer and it died all of a sudden? My neighbors have one and it has better signal from across the street than my router does at 10 feet.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ticojohn

Re: [SOLVED?] Internet Issues

#18 Post by ticojohn »

Just did a WebPageTest http://www.webpagetest.org/ opening Yahoo News on Firefox browser using the Orlando Florida test site. Full page load time is around 18 seconds, so I guess the problem is not my computer, router, or connection to the web. Yahoo sucks! But we already new that, didn't we.

UPDATE: This will hopefully be my last post regarding this issue. I did several speed tests to different locations and watched the System Monitor Tool while doing so. I get essentially full speed (8 mbps) to every location. Then watched the System Monitor Tool while loading the Yahoo home page. I get barely 240kbps while loading Yahoo. I guess that is enough said on this subject. Need to find a better news service (and I don't use Google News since they changed their format).

ticojohn

#19 Post by ticojohn »

I saw another post where it was recommended to edit /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf and add a line supercede domain-name-servers, with the correct dns info, such that the /etc/resolv.conf would have the desired nameserver addresses after rebooting. I did so, using the Google DNS information and lo and behold it worked. However, I then decided to use the OpenDNS server addresses and made the changes to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf. But the OPenDNS addresses are not being recognized. Here is the code:

Code: Select all

#send host-name "andare.fugue.com";
send host-name = gethostname();
#send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;
#send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
#supersede domain-name "fugue.com home.vix.com";
# opendns servers
supersede domain-name-servers "208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220";
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
I have tried both with and without quotes around the dns addresses. Any clues as to why it's not working with the opendns server addresses?

fmp

#20 Post by fmp »

Here is my /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf:

option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned integer 8;

send host-name = gethostname();
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
        dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search, dhcp6.fqdn, dhcp6.sntp-servers,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
        rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;
and /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 204.152.184.76 #isc
nameserver 208.67.220.220 #opendns
nameserver 208.67.222.222 #opendns

# chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf to make this file writeable
if you try my method; first back up both your files.
then, after editing /etc/resolv.conf, also run:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
(for good measure, after running chattr, check /etc/resolv.conf again, to make sure network manager didn't swoop in and change it at just the right time to evade notice)

chattr +i will prevent network manager (and even root!) from editing and switching resolv.conf back to your isp's dns.
if you want to later on switch to other dns servers, run the following to unlock /etc/resolv.conf:

chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf
note: the isc server is in california, so perhaps try opennic & see if you can get one closer if its speed isn't good enough:
go to https://opennic.org and it will tell you what your nearest server is.

if the dns change fails (and if you're using wifi), also consult this thread for some wifi tips: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=121696
i would have intermittent issues with my wifi until i customized my setup based on some of the suggestions in that thread and it's substantially more stable now.
i wouldn't recommend trying BOTH the dns & wifi changes at the same time. it would be better to test them separately, so you truly know the root of your initial problem.

dotlj

#21 Post by dotlj »

Oops, sorry, wrong topic. :oops:
Last edited by dotlj on 2018-01-29 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by sunrat »

ticojohn wrote:I did so, using the Google DNS information and lo and behold it worked. However, I then decided to use the OpenDNS server addresses and made the changes to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf. But the OPenDNS addresses are not being recognized....
I have tried both with and without quotes around the dns addresses. Any clues as to why it's not working with the opendns server addresses?
That's weird that Google works but not OpenDNS. I have no idea why. It may have been my post that suggested this method.
This works for me :

supersede domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
confirmed by:

$ dig google.com |grep SERVER
;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#53(208.67.222.222)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!