Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to boot from iso image disk?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

How to boot from iso image disk?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Im looking for a way to be able to boot a iso (win, linux, any) from disk.. I remember ive used some software in past, like a Super-grub or so that was able to do this (i think to remember), but now I cant find that software, and neither an easy way to go, something like a livecd or so.

I though this should be very easy to do.. :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to boot from iso image disk?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

See the "SharpBang" menu entry in my grub.cfg:

https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/conf ... ub.cfg#L27

I've saved the ISO image at ~/sharpbang/sharpbang-stretch.img in the "Arch" subvolume of my btrfs partition on /dev/sda4, adjust to fit your box ;)

There was an ArchWiki page detailing this but it looks like Alad has chopped it out 'cos it's not Arch-centric enough :mrgreen:

EDIT: add the stanza to the end of /etc/grub.d/40_custom and run `update-grub` (as root) to update your boot menu (if you use an auto-generated GRUB menu).
deadbang

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:See the "SharpBang" menu entry in my grub.cfg:

https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/conf ... ub.cfg#L27

I've saved the ISO image at ~/sharpbang/sharpbang-stretch.img in the "Arch" subvolume of my btrfs partition on /dev/sda4, adjust to fit your box ;)

There was an ArchWiki page detailing this but it looks like Alad has chopped it out 'cos it's not Arch-centric enough :mrgreen:

EDIT: add the stanza to the end of /etc/grub.d/40_custom and run `update-grub` (as root) to update your boot menu (if you use an auto-generated GRUB menu).
ok Thanks for help, Head, that works very well, i noted down

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Sparky' {
	loopback loop (hd0,5)/BACK-UP/linux/sparkylinux-4.5.4-x86_64-minimalgui.iso
	linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live toram=filesystem.squashfs config fromiso=/dev/sda5/BACK-UP/linux/sparkylinux-4.5.4-x86_64-minimalgui.iso
	initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}
Ive installed recetlly Win10 from disc, following something similar:
mount -o loop Win10x64.iso /mnt
rsync -aAXv /mnt /media/sda3

menuentry 'Microsoft Windows 10' --class windows {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        insmod ntldr
	search --set=root --label dvd10 --hint hd0,msdos3
	drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
        ntldr /bootmgr
}

now, what i was really looking for, was something more automatic, like a kind of "daemon tools" in boot, some tool/livecd i can use/install that emule the dvd at booting, so i can do boot a iso image without having to set a setup grub... I wonder if that tool exists. :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote:now, what i was really looking for, was something more automatic, like a kind of "daemon tools" in boot, some tool/livecd i can use/install that emule the dvd at booting, so i can do boot a iso image without having to set a setup grub... I wonder if that tool exists. :?
You can do that in VirtualBox. Just don't create a virtual HD and select "Live something" (I forget the actual term) in the section where you select the iso.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

sunrat wrote:
bester69 wrote:now, what i was really looking for, was something more automatic, like a kind of "daemon tools" in boot, some tool/livecd i can use/install that emule the dvd at booting, so i can do boot a iso image without having to set a setup grub... I wonder if that tool exists. :?
You can do that in VirtualBox. Just don't create a virtual HD and select "Live something" (I forget the actual term) in the section where you select the iso.
or just

qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom filename.iso
or qemu-kvm,

or virt-manager

etc

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I use this alias to test ISO images:

alias qmu='qemu-system-x86_64 -boot order=d -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga std'
So I can then run `qmu example.img` to spin up a KVM-enabled VM with high-resolution capabilities and no need for any silly "guest additions" :)
deadbang