Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Christmass Message

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
debiman

Re: Christmass Message

#21 Post by debiman »

n_hologram wrote:Well, since somehow a Christmas thread derailed into Western Buddhist criticism, I'll attempt to find a middle way between the two belief systems...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSircOd1w4
unholy crap.
20s into the video he claims that jesus said "I am god".
he never said that, even in the wildest bible mistranslations.
guy must have been listening to TV preachers.

also thanks to golinux for keeping us informed on what buddhism REALLY is.

to clarify, i previously said there's a big difference between buddhism as such, and the religion that was created from it - not in the West but in the (far) East. I prefer the real message, and not a church's struggle for power. Same goes for Jesus btw.
though, as far as institutionalised religions go, buddhism is probably still better. :D

n_hologram

#22 Post by n_hologram »

Wow, well that's the last lighthearted comment I ever make here. Om mani padme hum...

@golinux: It is not my intent to argue about what Buddhism is or is not, since you are clearly more qualified to do so, but I certainly never said it was a "dogmatic belief system" (as, for example, Roman Catholicism is dogmatic), and it was never asked that I clarify; however, one could read the Siddhartha myth as a myth, despite the myth's intent: a practical guide, in your words (although this is the intent of most myths, for the cultures from which they emerge). Also, I wasn't referring to you, specifically, and i surely would not argue you given your credentials; I just find it odd how the conversation seemed to nosedive from the former to the latter. Lastly, I thought the video might be entertaining, not mortifying, so i apologize to anyone whose top hat is coated in mud.
If the counter is that i should not have limited Buddhism to the Siddhartha narrative, I'll accept that criticism in advance. However, I speculate, without the germinating myth, would Buddhism really exist in its current form, or even a similar one?

@debiman: Lol, far from a "wild interpretation"...
John 8:58 wrote: Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.
This is not reflexive (ie, "Jesus is"), but rather an assertation that Jesus is the great "I Am": the answer YHWY gave to Moses when Moses asked the Abrahamic deity who he was.
This assertion aggravated some serious theological issues.
There is a very long and historical argument about the whole, well, "son of god" thing: whether Christ was just a man with divine blessing or insight, the actual incarnation of god himself, and everything in between and beyond. The gnostic interpretation, for example, is that Jesus was the "son of god" in a similar way that (DON'T SHOOT ME DOWN GOLINUX) Siddhartha became (or realized he was (please clarify if needed lol)) the Buddha: in other words, that God (or some level of transcendence) is within all of us, and we therefore have the same potential to be as Christ himself; consequently, this "wild interpretation" (which really transcends gnosticism itself, and has been around as long as Apostolic Christianity, that awkward phase before it was institutionalized) constitutes a close analogue to the Siddhartha myth, which is often used as a talking point for Buddhism, especially in the treatment of myths.
Whether you realized it or not, your point and Campbell's point are actually pretty similar.
Campbell's ambition for comparative mythology, by the way, far from tv evangelicism, was to treat differences with respect while attempting to find what world myths have in common. I think you might appreciate some of his ideas if you gave it more than twenty seconds. :)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#23 Post by arochester »

Forum guidelines #7
Discussions in "Off topic" should still be in the spirit of this board, that is related to Linux/ Computers/ Software etc. Political, religious or racial discussions do not belong on this board.