Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Christmass Message

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Capitain_Jack

Christmass Message

#1 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Friendship
We have a genuine friendship when it is based on true human feeling. A feeling of closeness where there is a sense of sharing and connectivity. I call this kind of genuine friendship, because it is not affected by the increase or decrease of wealth, status or power individual. the factor that supports this kind of friendship is whether the two people have a mutual feeling of love and affection. friendship truly human is based on human affection, regardless of their position. Therefore, the more you show concern for the well-being and rights of others, the more you are a true friend. the more you remain open and sincere, and then, finally, the more benefits we will receive. If you forget and do not care about others, then you will eventually lose their own benefit.
Dalai Lama
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

golinux

Re: Christmass Message

#2 Post by golinux »

Some verses from the Dhammapada:
210. Seek no intimacy with the beloved and also not
with the unloved, for not to see the beloved and
to see the unloved, both are painful.
211. Therefore hold nothing dear, for separation from
the dear is painful. There are no bonds for those
who have nothing beloved or unloved.
212. From endearment springs grief, from endearment
springs fear. From him who is wholly free from
endearment there is no grief, whence then fear?
213. From affection springs grief, from affection
affection there is no grief, whence then fear?
214. From attachment springs grief, from attachment
attachment there is no grief, whence then fear?
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bill & Ted wrote:Be excellent to each other
:mrgreen:

EDIT: and party on, d00ds!
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

The other day, when I was talking to Buddha, he got mad at me because I suggested he go on a diet, I mean he really is very over weight, and that is not
healthy. I did not intend to offend him, I was genuinely concerned about his health, but now he has not spoken to me ever since.
Therefore, the more you show concern for the well-being and rights of others, the more you are a true friend.
Perhaps, but sometimes, it seems it is better to not show / speak out about it,
So any way, to try to "repair" the damage, I was talking to Mr.Goose, just last night as a matter of fact, and in the spring , when he flies back north, he is going to take a message, that is my apology, and drop it off at Buddha's house on his way.
But any way, hope the coming year is better and happier then the past one for every body.

golinux

#5 Post by golinux »

GarryRicketson wrote:But any way, hope the coming year is better and happier then the past one for every body.
There's nothing that needs to get better than the past year for me. :)
What makes you think the Buddha was fat? That's a specific cultural representation. More human overlay. We can never know something so irrelevant from hundreds of years BC.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

There's nothing that needs to get better than the past year for me.
Well that is great, I am glad to hear everything was that good and perfect for you, I hope others less fortunate, do have a better year, then the past one,
and certainly do not wish anything bad or worse, on any one, even my worst enemy, I hope they have a better year.
What makes you think the Buddha was fat?
Well, I didn't say he was fat, just "over weight", any way, he sure looked over weight to me, but it surprised me when he got so upset when I suggested
he go on a diet,...so any way, that is why I am sending a apology, to try to apologize,,... You know , " I am sorry I said something that offended you, I really didn't mean to "

We can never know something so irrelevant from hundreds of years BC.
Are you sure about that, ? who is we ?,... Not me, the past is very relevant, history is very relevant, remembering our mistakes from the past, is the key to
a better future.
When one falls into the abyss, but is fortunate enough be be caught in a net,
and lifted out of the abyss, and then taken up to heights beyond our wildest imagination, the hardest part is to avoid going mad (insane), but that is what the great Teachers are for, teaching us how to survive, and live , each year should be better then the last one, sadly for some, it is not so,...but we do know, we will never fall into the abyss again, because the great Teachers have shown us, it is there, and what happened.
I think the Joy and celebration of the Teacher, that shows us a way to live eternally, well, enough on that, it is sad, to hear someone like you, all I can really do is pray, and hope that one day you see the truth and the light that shines , in the truth.
In the meantime, believe it or not, there are many whom are standing at the edge of the abyss, we all have nets, and are trying our best to catch everything that falls in, and lift all that is precious, and worthy, up to the Great Kingdom, where our Lord rules, and reigns.
I did not really believe any thing, but my travels, experiences , some are extremely hard to believe, but reading and studying histories, of various cultures, for one, combined with real life experiences, well there is no doubt in my mind, that we have something, or some one, that started it all, and will keep it all going eternally.
In another thread, I mention "The Ant People", do a search for details, on the ant people, then also do a search, on what some of the other religions, history say about the ants,.. Key words "What does the Bible say about the Ants ?"
Mostly in proverbs : one result: Learning from the Ants, http://www.bible.ca/ef/expository-proverbs-6-6.htm
I hope the admins do not lock the thread, because it touches on religions, but I am not promoting any given religion, the point is, I have also met and been
with some of the ones that know about the Ants, it is part of their religion, and
I have been in the pit, and seen the Ant spirits myself, .... one interesting thing,
When the earth was flooded, and science even agrees, at one time most of the
earth was below water,... before it was flooded, the Ant spirits showed them to live underground, seal up the entrance, so the water did not come in, years of storing food and supplies, but it was not enough, and the ants shared what they had, so we could live, ... This is part of what Christmas is about, the good will, between mankind and the spiritual world, the love and sharing that is necessary, and part of what keeps it all happening.
The thing of it is, The People, on the west side of the planet, never heard the story about Noah, and his boat, The People recorded the history about the Great Flood, 1000's of years BC, I have seen the paintings in the depths of the earth, ...Was it just a coincidence, that 2 totally separated cultures survived the Great Flood, ? Why does God tell the Christians to take heed, and pay attention to the ants, ? Why did the Great Spirit show the People how to communicate with the ants ?.... Why do so many very different religions have so much in common ? ... It is not about religion, it is about truth and the right
way (right as in correct) the correct way, leads to higher and higher levels, that are eternal, infinite. On the other side, is the abyss , which is bottomless, and empty, the "secret", is to know how to see the truth, and not fall into the false,
and something that can not exist. Yes both sides exist, the beginning and the end, the trick, or secret is to be able to cross over the abyss, or stand on the edge, and not fall in, when the "END" is over, that is the funny part, the end never existed, there is no end to infinity, and we start a new cycle,..it really is fun, I enjoy it. Of course, these things are very difficult for mediocre minds, to comprehend, .... I saw Einstein many years ago, he was riding a beam of light,
laughing and shouting "Whoopee--- this is great, I found it ,...", then he was gone, it all happened so fast, when I fell into the abyss, and they carried me up in the net, ... For me, it was when I quit drinking, that is a longer , other story,
but , in a nut shell, I really went off the deep end, and had crashed my car some where in the middle of the desert out side of El Paso Texas. Some where between there and White sands, N.M,... I had gotten off the high way, and there were no real roads, no traffic or any one to rescue me, took me several days to get to a highway, I fell into a dry quick sand pit, and it was the abyss,
I knew it was the end,... to my surprise , it wasn't the end, well it was, but it wasn't, I saw things that most people have not seen, I saw Isaiah and I saw what Isaiah saw, I even heard what he said when he prophesied, and when I was standing on a mountain, there were others, strangers, I could not see their faces, but then a angel told me to not worry, and also told me I would have to return to the world. The angel also instructed me to start reading the Bible , as soon as possible, after I returned, it (the angel) said that was essential , to avoid going totally mad, and insane, when I fell back to the earth (ground), it was a jolt, and it hurt, but to my joy I was alive, I found the strength to walk out of the desert, no water, no food, nothing. When I did finally get to a highway, on the other side of the highway there was a trailer park, and a public phone booth, I called 911, but could not talk, my throat was parched. The operator
said "don't hang up", I didn't,... they came and took me to a hospital, at first the doctors did not think I would recover, so they sent me to a state hospital for long term care, at the hospital, I managed to get my hands on a Bible, King James version, but that does not matter.
Once I started reading the Books, things started making more sense, after 3 months, I was released. That really happened, about 30 years ago, ... but any way, to keep it simple, By the Grace of God , I am sober and alive to day, and it does not matter to me who believes it or not, I know it all happened, and I get through each day, sober, alive and by the Grace of God, nobody really knows
His name, that is not relevant, the fact that there is only One, and no other is relevant, the things that happened and were recorded even 1000s of years BC, are very relevant, the things that happened before I fell into the abyss, are important as well, now I know the signs, and can see when I am on the wrong path.
I do not usually talk about this, because most people don't believe it. But I guess it is time for me to say what happened, and what I saw.
I do realize, for those of you that
We can never know something so irrelevant from hundreds of years BC

Many can not ever know these things, they can not comprehend them, and simply can not believe it, that's ok, in fact it is better for them to not know to many things. When you fall off the edge , into the abyss there is someone there, with a net, and a snare, you also will be lifted up, and the rest will be up to you.

Sincerely, I really do hope and pray everyone has a better year then the past one, even if it is impossible for some, ...
And I apologize if what I say offends any one, I really did not intend to offend any body,... but then again, there is all ways some body that gets offended by anything, it is hard to predict what might offend someone , any way I do not do it on purpose.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-12-26 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

Gary, you never offend. ;)

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

actually, my index finger is a little offended from so much scrolling.

tl;dr - buddhism, be very careful whether you refer to a collection of ancient wisdom, or an institutionalised religion.
as far as institutions go, the dalai lama is as far as i'm willing to go.
or at least Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso, i mean c'mon, you gotta love this guy:

enjoy the darkness, people of the northern hemisphere! and hopefully a bit of proper winter, too!

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Years ago I read a book named "Tales of the Dali Lama" I enjoyed reading it,
it was fun.

alan stone

#10 Post by alan stone »

GarryRicketson wrote:Years ago I read a book named "Tales of the Dali Lama" I enjoyed reading it,
it was fun.
It's fun to dig a little deeper too. :wink:

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by None1975 »

“Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
– Buddha
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

golinux

#12 Post by golinux »

None1975 wrote:“Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
– Buddha
Bottom line is that samsara sucks. Make haste to stop the wheel :
Sabbe sankhara anicca
Sabbe sankhara dukka
Sabbē dhammā anattā

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

golinux wrote:Make haste to stop the wheel
now that reminds me of game of thrones! :D

golinux

#14 Post by golinux »

debiman wrote:
Funny. Have never seen the show. OTA only.

Wheelerof4te

#15 Post by Wheelerof4te »

debiman wrote:
Raziel, you are worthy! The Wheel of Fate is turning, and I need every human soul! Now go forth, my faithful servant, my Soul Reaver!
:mrgreen:

dotlj

#16 Post by dotlj »

https://reason.com/volokh/2017/12/22/ho ... -bad-or-go
A little late, but still on Christmas, and it applies to every day of the year. Funny.

You'd better watch out,
You'd better not cry,
You'd better not pout;
I'm telling you why.
Santa Claus is tapping
Your phone.

He's bugging your room,
He's reading your mail,
He's keeping a file
And running a tail.
Santa Claus is tapping
Your phone.

He hears you in the bedroom,
Surveills you out of doors,
And if that doesn't get the goods,
Then he'll use provocateurs.

So–you mustn't assume
That you are secure.
On Christmas Eve
He'll kick in your door.
Santa Claus is tapping
Your phone.

n_hologram

#17 Post by n_hologram »

Well, since somehow a Christmas thread derailed into Western Buddhist criticism, I'll attempt to find a middle way between the two belief systems...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSircOd1w4
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Capitain_Jack

#18 Post by Capitain_Jack »

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
John Lenon
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

golinux

#19 Post by golinux »

n_hologram wrote:Well, since somehow a Christmas thread derailed into Western Buddhist criticism . . .
Criticism? Hardly. Try conversation. I may be a westerner but my guides have been primarily Burmese and Sri Lankan monks. Can't get closer to the source than that. I instinctively knew to steer clear of the Western adaptations.
I'll attempt to find a middle way between the two belief systems...
Good grief! Talking heads only muddy the waters. Buddhism as it was intended is most definitely NOT a dogmatic belief system. It is a practical guide how to break through the blindness and bondage of self-delusion. Few actually try to do that though . . .

alan stone

#20 Post by alan stone »

^ Thanks for the reference and contribution to my :D -ness.

May the Source (Code) be with you.