Meltdown and Spectre patches

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Meltdown and Spectre patches

Postby bw123 » 2018-01-14 20:09

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bw123 wrote:According to the changelog "on debian" they added a "nokaiser" switch

Do you have a source for this please?

There is a changelog in /usr/share/doc/linux-image* for every kernel installed, are you even using debian anymore? Your posts in the past have been really excellent, but lately you seem a little off balance with regard to debian.
bw123

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-01-14 20:38

bw123 wrote:are you even using debian anymore?

I haven't used Debian myself for several years, I prefer less complicated operating systems :)

I do maintain the family laptop though and that's always run Debian stable, I did enable unattended-upgrades once stretch rolled out and I hardly ever touch the box these days. It's wonderful :D
"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education." — Bertrand Russell
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby stevepusser » 2018-01-14 23:32

Hmmm...just did a rebuild of the backported MX 17 4.14.12-2 kernels overnight on generic Stretch pbuilders to add the Ryzen amd64-microcode patch and have the headers pull in libelf-dev, which is still not fixed in Sid. Headaches: some report the Spectre-mitigated 384.111 Nvidia driver just added to stretch-backports won't build on that kernel, but I was able to do so and use it on my Optimus laptop. They had no issue with the Liquorix kernel, though. That kernel isn't in stretch-backports, though.

If that's true about older kernels, are standard Jessie users up the creek with all 32-bit users now?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.3, Pale Moon 27.7.2, Yacreader 9.0, Calligra 3.1, VLC 3.0.0, Firefox 58.0.2, OBS-Studio 21.0.2
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-01-15 06:30

stevepusser wrote:If that's true about older kernels, are standard Jessie users up the creek with all 32-bit users now?

Well, I wouldn't say that 32-bit users were "up the creek" because the patch developer has committed to work on it, albeit without a timeframe.

Also, the KAISER fix appears to have been used for all kernels not of the 4.14-series so that would mean stretch, jessie and wheezy.

The KAISER patch was originally designed as a strengthened form of KASLR[1] that incorporated more of Grsecurity's work but it does not offer the same level of protection as KPTI, so again I think "up the creek" is perhaps putting it a little strongly.

[1] https://gruss.cc/files/kaiser.pdf
"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education." — Bertrand Russell
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-01-18 14:53

https://skyfallattack.com/
Skyfall and Solace are two speculative attacks based on the work highlighted by Meltdown and Spectre.

:lol:
Wheelerof4te

Re: [Switzerland/Usa/Germany] - Cheap SSD VPS 2GB RAM, Disk

Postby acewiza » 2018-01-24 00:31

Neironvps wrote:Neironvps - fast ssd vps Switzerland/Usa/Germany.

Has your equipment all had the Spectre/Meltdown patches applied? :roll:

If so, I don't think you can claim "fast" any longer. :lol:
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.
acewiza

Previous

Return to Offtopic