Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia Drivers didnt work, Purged them, Now I cant login

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Debian4life

Nvidia Drivers didnt work, Purged them, Now I cant login

#1 Post by Debian4life »

Its weird, Everyone gets a error installing Nvidia GPU's and no 2 problems are alike. So many people cant get standard Nvidia Drivers working for high end, state of the Art GPU's on Some Debian systems. Im using kernel 4.14.0-parrot7-amd64. I have a Nvidia 1050ti GPU (which worked fine on Linux Mint 16.04 and the updated Mint Kernels) The Debian setup I have uses Mate, I installed all the Nvidia and Cuda updates. Nvidia GPU wouldnt work. and it took out my normal Motherboard HDMI connections installing the Nvidia stuff.
So I Purged all the Nvidia drivers/updates/etc now login from Main login Screen only allows Root to get a desktop manager which is lightdm, ive reconfigured the xorg.conf and lightdm.conf all back to standard. But It wont let me login as my non-root user. it just lags for about 1 minute and returns to the login screen. Login as Root no issues. using a console terminal I tried su - non-rootuser and then ran starx and again when I see my desktop manager, I'm loged in as Root again!?

This is the only thing close to a nightmare ive ever had using Linux. Why dosent Debian support Nvidia 1050/1050ti GPU's? it supports the GTX980ti and the TitanX then jumps to GTX1060-1070-1080 cards? Maybe im missing something?

what logs and commands do you guys need the output from to help me troubleshoot this because im lost?

Although I'm realizing when Linux Breaks, Your learn tons about Linux, which is the only bonus to this and incentive to continue

I tried dpkg-reconfigure lightdm.

also #/usr/sbin/lightdm --show-config

Code: Select all

[Seat:*]
A  greeter-session=lightdm-greeter
B  greeter-hide-users=false
A  session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession
B  greeter-allow-guest=false
B  greeter-show-remote-login=true
B  allow-user-switching=true
B  allow-guest=false

Sources:
A  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf
B  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf 
The Contents of my lightdm.conf file :

#
# General configuration
#
# start-default-seat = True to always start one seat if none are defined in the 
configuration
# greeter-user = User to run greeter as
# minimum-display-number = Minimum display number to use for X servers
# minimum-vt = First VT to run displays on
# lock-memory = True to prevent memory from being paged to disk
# user-authority-in-system-dir = True if session authority should be in the syst
em location
# guest-account-script = Script to be run to setup guest account
# logind-check-graphical = True to on start seats that are marked as graphical b
y logind
# log-directory = Directory to log information to
# run-directory = Directory to put running state in
# cache-directory = Directory to cache to
# sessions-directory = Directory to find sessions
# remote-sessions-directory = Directory to find remote sessions
# greeters-directory = Directory to find greeters
# backup-logs = True to move add a .old suffix to old log files when opening new
 ones
[LightDM]
#start-default-seat=true
#greeter-user=lightdm
#minimum-display-number=0
#minimum-vt=7
#lock-memory=true
#user-authority-in-system-dir=false
#guest-account-script=guest-account
#logind-check-graphical=false
#log-directory=/var/log/lightdm
#run-directory=/var/run/lightdm
#cache-directory=/var/cache/lightdm
#sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/sessions:/usr/share/xsessions:/usr/share/
wayland-sessions
#remote-sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions
#greeters-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/greeters:/usr/share/xgreeters
#backup-logs=true

#
# Seat configuration
#
# Seat configuration is matched against the seat name glob in the section, for e
xample:
# [Seat:*] matches all seats and is applied first.
# [Seat:seat0] matches the seat named "seat0".
# [Seat:seat-thin-client*] matches all seats that have names that start with "se
at-thin-client".
#
# type = Seat type (xlocal, xremote, unity)
# pam-service = PAM service to use for login
# pam-autologin-service = PAM service to use for autologin
# pam-greeter-service = PAM service to use for greeters
# xserver-command = X server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. X -
special-option)
# xmir-command = Xmir server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. Xmi
r -special-option)
# xserver-config = Config file to pass to X server
# xserver-layout = Layout to pass to X server
# xserver-allow-tcp = True if TCP/IP connections are allowed to this X server
# xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and session
# xserver-hostname = Hostname of X server (only for type=xremote)
# xserver-display-number = Display number of X server (only for type=xremote)
# xdmcp-manager = XDMCP manager to connect to (implies xserver-allow-tcp=true)
# xdmcp-port = XDMCP UDP/IP port to communicate on
# xdmcp-key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 (stored in keys
.conf)
# unity-compositor-command = Unity compositor command to run (can also contain a
rguments e.g. unity-system-compositor -special-option)
# unity-compositor-timeout = Number of seconds to wait for compositor to start
# greeter-session = Session to load for greeter
# greeter-hide-users = True to hide the user list
# greeter-allow-guest = True if the greeter should show a guest login option
# greeter-show-manual-login = True if the greeter should offer a manual login op
tion
# greeter-show-remote-login = True if the greeter should offer a remote login op
tion
# user-session = Session to load for users
# allow-user-switching = True if allowed to switch users
# allow-guest = True if guest login is allowed
# guest-session = Session to load for guests (overrides user-session)
# session-wrapper = Wrapper script to run session with
# greeter-wrapper = Wrapper script to run greeter with
# guest-wrapper = Wrapper script to run guest sessions with
# display-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter session (runs as 
root)
# display-stopped-script = Script to run after stopping the display server (runs
 as root)
# greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
# session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
# session-cleanup-script = Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as r
oot)
# autologin-guest = True to log in as guest by default
# autologin-user = User to log in with by default (overrides autologin-guest)
# autologin-user-timeout = Number of seconds to wait before loading default user
# autologin-session = Session to load for automatic login (overrides user-sessio
n)
# autologin-in-background = True if autologin session should not be immediately 
activated
# exit-on-failure = True if the daemon should exit if this seat fails
#
#type=xlocal
#pam-service=lightdm
#pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
#pam-greeter-service=lightdm-greeter
#xserver-command=X
#xmir-command=Xmir
#xserver-config=
#xserver-layout=
#xserver-allow-tcp=false
#xserver-share=true
#xserver-hostname=
#xserver-display-number=
#xdmcp-manager=
#xdmcp-port=177
#xdmcp-key=
#unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor
#unity-compositor-timeout=60
#greeter-session=example-gtk-gnome
greeter-hide-users=false
greeter-allow-guest=false
#greeter-show-manual-login=false
greeter-show-remote-login=true
#user-session=default
allow-user-switching=true
allow-guest=false
#guest-session=
#session-wrapper=lightdm-session
#greeter-wrapper=
#guest-wrapper=
#display-setup-script=
#display-stopped-script=
#greeter-setup-script=
#session-setup-script=
#session-cleanup-script=
#autologin-guest=false
#autologin-user=
#autologin-user-timeout=0
#autologin-in-background=false
#autologin-session=
#exit-on-failure=false

#
# XDMCP Server configuration
#
# enabled = True if XDMCP connections should be allowed
# port = UDP/IP port to listen for connections on
# listen-address = Host/address to listen for XDMCP connections (use all address
es if not present)
# key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 or blank to not use a
uthentication (stored in keys.conf)
# hostname = Hostname to report to XDMCP clients (defaults to system hostname if
 unset)
#
# The authentication key is a 56 bit DES key specified in hex as 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn
n.  Alternatively
# it can be a word and the first 7 characters are used as the key.
[XDMCPServer]
#enabled=false
#port=177
#listen-address=
#key=
#hostname=

#
# VNC Server configuration
#
# enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
# command = Command to run Xvnc server with
# port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
# listen-address = Host/address to listen for VNC connections (use all addresses
 if not present)
# width = Width of display to use
# height = Height of display to use
# depth = Color depth of display to use
#
[VNCServer]
#enabled=false
#command=Xvnc
#port=5900
#listen-address=
#width=1024
#height=768
#depth=8
I think something to do with Xauthority not being loaded to non-root user logins might be why?

My Contents of /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01debian.conf

# Debian specific defaults
#
# - use lightdm-greeter session greeter, points to the etc-alternatives managed
# greeter
# - hide users list by default, we don't want to expose them
# - use Debian specific session wrapper, to gain support for
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d scripts

greeter-session=lightdm-greeter
greeter-hide-users=true
session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession
To be honest I'd Rather have my Nvidia GPU GTX1050ti working then using the Intel 560HD builtin to my MOBO. That 1050tiGPU worked Mint on Mint16.04 and was better at Graphics then on my Windows Box lol, I just cant get it to work and its probably something easy im missing. Dealing with a Xsession Xorg Starx and Lightdm and have all the 20+ .conf files randomly everywhere in the Debian system would be so much easier if things were planed out better? I'm on Parrot Security, but good Luck getting any support from them. Its basically a Hardened Debian Server with the security tools, and I cant use my Nvidia to crack Hashes which im upset about. This is my pen-test training box and I need some help. Thanks in advance Debian gurus

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nvidia Drivers didnt work, Purged them, Now I cant login

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Moved to Offtopic as Parrot != Debian.

If you were running Debian, you could follow this:
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Debian4life

#3 Post by Debian4life »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Moved to Offtopic as Parrot != Debian.

If you were running Debian, you could follow this:
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Ask anyone with a Parrot system. Parrot Sec Official word on help for Parrot Sec
The Parrot Project is based on top of the testing branch of Debian GNU/Linux, then most of the Debian documentation is valid for parrot too.

The following is a list of good Debian resources every Parrot user should know

The Debian Administrator's Handbook, the comprehensive user manual
Debian Reference, a terse user's guide with the focus on the shell command line
The Debian Wiki

So odd there's no real help for Parrot, the owner of Parrot even says Learn Debian Admin Guide/Handbook and gives Debian Wiki site to refer to. Almost as if its a Debian system? Lol This is the problem with people in the world, you rather pass the buck then advise a real answer and not be petty about off topic. People at this site mist know what I need to do????? But you rather click buttons instead of type out a real answer. Ive already tried everything I could first and its been down for root login o my for 3 weeks and nothing normal works for root like Video Players. VLC errors because of the root login . You know I've never worked on a Toyota, however since I'm trained in American cars and can build one from scratch with raw materials. I could still change the Oil or give a filter change for the tranny or standard tuneup and I could use knowledge never learnt from Toyota, Japan, or off-topic? There's people at Debian that know what to do, but you felt your more important then anything else on that page and smashed my question. Karma sucks dude. I see yours making sure you get got good, yea that's definitely your future.

Seventh

#4 Post by Seventh »

Maybe have a look at your dmesg, may hold some clues for you.

dmesg|grep -i nvidia
or

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i "VGA"

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

How did you install the drivers? If on the command line, you can see the output so you can see if the build was successful. Did you get the message about having to reboot to blacklist the nouveau drivers?
MX Linux packager and developer

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Debian4life wrote:Ask anyone with a Parrot system.
That would be your best bet if you are running Parrot.
So odd there's no real help for Parrot
That might be a factor in deciding which distro to choose, no?
Almost as if its a Debian system? Lol
Almost ... see http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... quote]This is the problem with people in the world, you rather pass the buck then advise a real answer and not be petty about off topic. People at this site mist know what I need to do????? But you rather click buttons instead of type out a real answer.[/quote]Because it's all been typed already, and I linked you to the (Debian) instructions.
Ive already tried everything I could first and its been down for root login o my for 3 weeks and nothing normal works for root like Video Players. VLC errors because of the root login . You know I've never worked on a Toyota, however since I'm trained in American cars and can build one from scratch with raw materials. I could still change the Oil or give a filter change for the tranny or standard tuneup and I could use knowledge never learnt from Toyota, Japan, or off-topic? There's people at Debian that know what to do, but you felt your more important then anything else on that page and smashed my question. Karma sucks dude. I see yours making sure you get got good, yea that's definitely your future.
Being all whiny and entitled and making silly analogies doesn't help.
Posting actual data from any errors you encounter following the instructions does.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

Debian4life wrote:... or off-topic? There's people at Debian that know what to do, but you felt your more important then anything else on that page and smashed my question. Karma sucks dude. I see yours making sure you get got good, yea that's definitely your future.
take a few slow, deep breaths.
nothing untoward happened.
nobody closed your thread; it's just been moved to off-topic.
imagine the shear amount of debian derivates out there (over 300 on dw alone), and imagine the additional workload it would inflict on all debian help channels if they were all equally entitled to get help.
voluntary, non-paid help, i might add.

incidentally, one of my very first posts on ubuntu forums went the same way. i was using linux mint, and the thread was moved to off-topic.
i got much angrier than you! but after a few years of trawling various linux forums i understand much better.
dilberts_left_nut wrote:
So odd there's no real help for Parrot
That might be a factor in deciding which distro to choose, no?
word!

PS:
debian4life, i'm sorry that your thread is going even further off-topic, but you must admit that it was your emotional reaction that started it. of course people will push back then.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by steve_v »

Debian4life wrote:Its weird, Everyone gets a error installing Nvidia GPU's and no 2 problems are alike.
I haven't had any problems with Nvidia cards in the last 5 years, probably longer. Who is this "everyone" you speak of?
Debian4life wrote:Why dosent Debian support Nvidia 1050/1050ti GPU's? it supports the GTX980ti and the TitanX then jumps to GTX1060-1070-1080 cards?
Because the 1050 was released after the 1080, and Debian does not, by default, have the new driver. Backports does. Then again, parrot probably doesn't ship the same versions as Debian stable, so who knows. As stated (repeatedly), Parrot != Debian.
If you have Parrot problems, go ask on the Parrot forums. If they're not helpful, reconsider your choice of distros.
If you want to "crack hashes" on your GPU, and you want support from the Debian forums, why not install the relevant software on a real Debian system? I can assure you that CUDA works just fine here (1070). So does hashcat, if that's where you're going.
Debian4life wrote:This is the problem with people in the world, you rather pass the buck then advise a real answer and not be petty about off topic. People at this site mist know what I need to do????? But you rather click buttons instead of type out a real answer.
People at this site are likely to tell you to piss off, if you act like an entitled brat. Your question is not about Debian, so it belongs in Offtopic. No big deal.

If you really want to fix this "Parrot" thing, I suggest looking in your Xorg log, and possibly in ~/.xsession-errors. Try it with a new user too.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Debian4life wrote:People at this site mist know what I need to do?????
oh, i missed that the first time. supposing you meant "must".
no, we don't know what to do. honestly. we're not some sort of freemasons with secret handshakes, and an arrogant snigger for the uninitiated.

i can only repeat, if you want to solve this, please concentrate on the task at hand, search the web or debian wiki for your problem, and give us some real info.
then we might arrive at some sort of solution together.

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

Debian4life wrote:Karma sucks dude. I see yours making sure you get got good, yea that's definitely your future.
Is this supposed to be some kind of threat ? The funny thing about karma, and why it is effective, it has a way coming back to the person that threatens somebody with it. Sort of like a boomerang, when the thrower does not know what they are doing, they throw it and start to walk away, and then it comes back and hits them in the back of the head. :idea:

Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-01-11 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Wheelerof4te

#11 Post by Wheelerof4te »

As a side-note, why did you choose Parrot over Debian? What feature does Parrot OS have, that isn't avaiable on Debian?
As you can see, what it does have is incompatibility with Debian. I might as well add that almost all the info on Debian wiki is made for official Debian Stable versions.

n_hologram

#12 Post by n_hologram »

Why aren't we? We've had plenty of time to develop a handshake.

OP: Nvidia drivers are particularly wonky, in no small part because the company errs towards keeping their secrets proprietary. I wouldn't be surprised if the nvidia userbase here (most of us are users, btw, not developers) use anything but nvidia.

Also, there's way too much going on in the original post, so I have no idea what the issue even is.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...