Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

After the fact stories

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Mad_7

Re: After the fact stories

#76 Post by Mad_7 »

n_hologram wrote:
pcalvert wrote:aptosid apate
Lolwut?
Is that a Harry Potter spell?
:-)
Indeed! :-)

Aptosid is an abandoned distro.
Απάτη (apate) means scam.
It was it's last release name.
For the glorious men, every land is a grave.
Pericles' Funeral Oration. Thucydides.

CraigHB

#77 Post by CraigHB »

Hi guys, first post here.

I've been away from Debian and Linux since Etch. I'm back working with Jessie. Systemd feels like a really big change to me after the old familiar sysvinit I know so well. Fortunately I found I don't ~have~ to use it. It's possible to preseed the installer to use sysvinit instead; https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Install ... ut_systemd I'm happy the option is there.

I hope the Debian developers make this a more up front choice in the future. Seems there's enough people that prefer Sysvinit to keep it going and make it a more obvious option. A forced change to systemd feels proprietary.

Mad_7

#78 Post by Mad_7 »

CraigHB wrote:Hi guys, first post here.
Welcome aboard CraigHB! :D
CraigHB wrote:Hi guys, first post here.
It's possible to preseed the installer to use sysvinit instead; https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Install ... ut_systemd I'm happy the option is there.
If you're trying to install Debian without systemd, consider also the possibility installing Devuan from the beginning: https://devuan.org/index.html#download.

Personally I didn't it, because when I choose to get rid of the systemd abomination, I was already at a fully-working Jessie installation.
What I did, is following the instructions there: http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.p ... stallation.
This way, I was unable to uninstall systemd, but I installed Sysvinit and continue with it. Systemd is always an option at GRUB advanced settings, for the (highly unlike) possibility, to work with it.
Of course, you can delete this (useless) GRUB entry! :D

golinux

#79 Post by golinux »

Mad_7 wrote:If you're trying to install Debian without systemd, consider also the possibility installing Devuan from the beginning: https://devuan.org/index.html#download.

Personally I didn't it, because when I choose to get rid of the systemd abomination, I was already at a fully-working Jessie installation.
Debian without systemd enabled is quite different than Devuan without systemd. There is a lot of confusion about what constitutes systemd-free which the sub-topic in this thread attempts to clarify.

@Mad_7 . . . Are you aware that it is possible to upgrade from Debian to Devuan? Many users have come to Devuan that way.
May the FORK be with you!

Mad_7

#80 Post by Mad_7 »

golinux wrote:Debian without systemd enabled is quite different than Devuan without systemd. There is a lot of confusion about what constitutes systemd-free which the sub-topic in this thread attempts to clarify.
Oh...I see!
My personal experience, is that when I was installing a package (I use Synaptic. with console output enabled), systemd config files was installing also, (throwing out error messages in the process, because systemd wasn't enabled) and autostarting wasn't possible out of the box and I had to do it manually (if I was in need, for that).
golinux wrote: @Mad_7 . . . Are you aware that it is possible to upgrade from Debian to Devuan? Many users have come to Devuan that way.
Actually I'm waiting for the ASCII (stable) release , but I can always try! :D

CraigHB

#81 Post by CraigHB »

I spent some time reading on the Duvuan web page and I see that Jessie was the last distro making Systemd easy to remove. I was actually able to remove it pretty easily from my Jessie installation. Man I don't like the direction Debian is heading. When I can no longer use Jessie, I guess I'll be jumping ship to Duvuan. This is all old news, but it's news to me since I was out of touch with Linux and Debian for a while.