Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My adventures making a live USB

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: My adventures making a live USB

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thorny wrote:I'm sorry for offending you
No, please, no offence was taken at all and I do hope my rather colourful reply did not ruffle your feathers too much — I was trying to have a little bit of banter but my social skills are somewhat lacking so that is always a risky move.

:mrgreen:

EDIT: to stay on topic: the MX-17 ISO image does appear to support UEFI booting:

Code: Select all

alpine:~$ parted Downloads/MX-17_x64.iso print
WARNING: You are not superuser.  Watch out for permissions.
Model:  (file)
Disk /home/empty/Downloads/MX-17_x64.iso: 1273MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      170kB  3586kB  3416kB  primary               esp

alpine:~$
deadbang

Innovate

#22 Post by Innovate »

It's a cross-platfrom application.
I've known that liveusb install before unetbootin since on windows before came here.
How could many linux ppl forget about it?
Debian was lack unetbootin from jessie, stretch long ago
download liveusb install .deb file & install would be piece of cake on debian jessie, stretch.

Thorny

#23 Post by Thorny »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Thorny wrote:I'm sorry for offending you
No, please, no offence was taken at all and I do hope my rather colourful reply did not ruffle your feathers too much — I was trying to have a little bit of banter but my social skills are somewhat lacking so that is always a risky move.
No problem. I am Aspie. However I have lived long enough and had enough painful experience to learn some ways to exist along with the normals. Banter is fine and yours is generally intelligent and that is appreciated. Sometimes I chuckle at what you write to others. I have a lot of respect for your technical skill, I don't know even half of what you know about video cards. Thumbs up.

And now, before someone accuses me of "white knighting" you, I'll STFU. ;-)

Bulkley

#24 Post by Bulkley »

Innovate wrote:download liveusb install .deb file & install would be piece of cake on debian jessie, stretch.
It is. Liveusb install can be installed via

gdebi live-usb-install-2.5.12-all.deb
or one can open

zxvf live-usb-install-2.5.12.tar.gz
and run from inside ~/live-usb-install with

./live-usb-install.py
. Either way, while you can do practise runs as user you need to be root for it to stick.

As Innovate noted, Liveusb install is a Windows application that has been Linuxized.

Bulkley

#25 Post by Bulkley »

[quote="Thorny"]. . . I've seen quite a few posts about early UEFI on older machines that are not standards compliant./quote]

That explains a lot. Thanks. I suspect that much has changed since the first time I made a live-CD. For one thing, distros have become bloated and won't fit on a CD, thus the USB. To put this in perspective, my first Linux (Caldera) came on a single 3 1/2" floppy disk that I found in the back of a magazine.

Pick2

#26 Post by Pick2 »

Thorny wrote:... to learn some ways to exist along with the normals. ;-)
We call them Mundanes here :)

Just kidding :P

Thorny

#27 Post by Thorny »

[OT]
Pick2 wrote:We call them Mundanes here :)
Chuckle!

Innovate

#28 Post by Innovate »

Bulkley wrote: As Innovate noted, Liveusb install is a Windows application that has been Linuxized.
I should thank you for you to confirm review how far better it is. Now I'm confident with this tool.
In fact, I was doubt how far it's good/bad from unetbootin it's been underrated so long no review until finally today.
I was planned to choose pre-install between unetbootin vs liveusb install on my custom build debian but hesitate until now.

There're many rare gems of these apps floating every where on internet & github.