Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DUF is (not) Debian

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Wheelerof4te

DUF is (not) Debian

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Updated on 7th of april, 2018th: I have changed the thread title. As for reasons, read the thread. Also, I've hid an easter egg for all of you anime fans out there :)

Dear DUF, due to the backward views of most of your members, I can only conclude with 99% certanty that a lot of members here are not really Debian users, at all. This does not come as a surprise to me, seeing the extreme anti-Debian stance taken by some prominent members of this forum. Please rename this forum to something more accurate, like "Devuan User Forums" or similar.

I can see why Debian has decided against hosting an official forum, opting for mailing lists instead. This forum is not endorsed by Debian developers. This forum is not Debian. It doesn't even have basic protection, it's insecure by design.
As we say in Serbia: "Mnogo ste vi zatucani, bre."
Thanks to more sane members, you do great things for Debian.
Bye and thanks for all the fish :D
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2018-04-07 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

HuangLao

Re: DUF is not Debian

#2 Post by HuangLao »

99% certainty...WOW. When was that poll posted?

What security measures are missing in the forum?

n_hologram

#3 Post by n_hologram »

Context, fwiw: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 82#p666081
HuangLao: I think he/she means the fact that this site uses http instead of https. (I pointed this out a few years ago in some long-forgotten thread.)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

n_hologram wrote:Context, fwiw: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 82#p666081
HuangLao: I think he/she means the fact that this site uses http instead of https. (I pointed this out a few years ago in some long-forgotten thread.)
why do you need https on a forum site? there is nothing mission critical here, no CC#'s, no account numbers etc.... https being used everywhere is nonsense and overblown by the certificate selling community.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:due to the backward views of most of your members
Please don't be coy: name some names.

I'll go get some popcorn...
HuangLao wrote:https being used everywhere is nonsense and overblown by the certificate selling community
+1

I just wish FF would stop ****ing nagging me about it :roll:
deadbang

HuangLao

#6 Post by HuangLao »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:due to the backward views of most of your members
Please don't be coy: name some names.

I'll go get some popcorn...
HuangLao wrote:https being used everywhere is nonsense and overblown by the certificate selling community
+1

I just wish FF would stop ****ing nagging me about it :roll:
LOL....

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, the same as what I said in this thread 7 months ago,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 72#p653052

Re: Saying goodbye thread

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-08-26 15:54
Well, hope everything works out, and this forum will still be here, any time you decide to
return. Good luck.

--------------------------
NEW toys are Fun
But one question, why say "goodbye", if you are not really going any where ?
The SSL thing, has been discussed several times in the Forum stuff & feedback section, ..............
As far as : DUF is not Debian goes,
Please rename this forum to something more accurate, like "Devuan User Forums" or similar.
But it is NOT the Devuan user forum, it is Debian Users Forum, and most of the members that come here are asking for help with their Debian installation,... yes we do have some members that use Devuan, OpenBsd, Windows, and other OS's as well, Should we ban any body that is not using ONLY Debian ?
We do try our best to keep it specific to Debian, in the help and support areas, "off topic" is another ball game, but after all said and done, it still is specific to Debian, that is why we suggest to Kali user, they use the kali forum, Linux mint, use the linux mint forum,.. and so on.
Sometimes I wonder my self, to me it (at times)seems to be mostly Windows users wanting to "play" Debian or Linux, I mean almost nobody is really only using Debian, and no other OS installed,... but any way, after all said and done, we do try to keep the forum mainly for people needing help with their Debian installation.
I am sorry it is not the "perfect" forum, no matter what, there will all ways be people that don't like something , for some reason,..... so any way, good luck where ever you go, if you really do go any where.

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I'm going to stay on Debian, but maybe go to it's MX Linux cousin. Didn't mean to offend BSD and Slackware users, just felt generally annoyed by rejection of some members of desktop simplifications.
BSD have their uses, and it's seen in server space. Slackware is for tinkers and Linux experts.
Anyway, here's more official Debian support:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2018-02-06 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

HuangLao

#9 Post by HuangLao »

omg..the laughs keep coming...reddit is an official source now? What next lawyers quoting Wikipedia in their summaries?

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

It is. Chris Lamb and other developers are frequent there. It's more official than this forum.

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I'm going to stay on Debian, but maybe go to it's MX Linux cousin. Didn't mean to offend BSD and Slackware users, just felt generally annoyed by rejection of some members for simplifications.
BSD have their uses, and it's seen in server space. Slackware is for tinkers and Linux experts.
/
There you go again...just let sleeping dogs lie man.... Slackware is not for tinkers or Linux experts its for people who see the benefit in Slackware's setup and philosophy, anyone can use it. BSD is used for more then servers...LOL.. This guy! :mrgreen:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by steve_v »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Dear DUF, due to the backward views of most of your members, I can only conclude with 99% certanty that a lot of members here are not really Debian users, at all.
ROFL. I take it "backwards views" really means "don't agree with me". If you want more hugs, try the Ubuntu forums. I hear they're real friendly over there.

I expect the majority of users here do run Debian, and the is a pretty strict "on topic" vibe. Hell, even I have a Debian box around here somewhere.
Perhaps they don't have the same views on the direction the distro is taking as you do, but they're still users.
Wheelerof4te wrote:This does not come as a surprise to me, seeing the extreme anti-Debian stance taken by some prominent members of this forum.
Citation needed. I've been around a while and I see no evidence of an "anti-debian stance" from anyone.
Wheelerof4te wrote:This forum is not Debian. It doesn't even have basic protection, it's insecure by design.
If you're concerned about the lack of SSL here, I assume you use the same password for your intenet banking? Either that or you don't grok the purpose of SSL...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

Duf is not Debian, it's beer. :) This place has always had the FDN acronym.
MX Linux packager and developer

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#14 Post by steve_v »

stevepusser wrote:Duf is not Debian, it's beer.
Err, isn't that Duff?
I thought Wheelerof4te was talking about debianuserforums.org (which would be DUF) for a minute, but then it would make no sense to post it here. Perhaps he's just confused.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

golinux

#15 Post by golinux »

Very few of you were around when DUF was born out of the chaos on FDN. As a result there was a HUGE exodus from this forum of some of the most knowledgeable people. If you search "free cynwulf" or start here you will get quite an education. This forum has been going downhill ever since.
May the FORK be with you!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#16 Post by steve_v »

golinux wrote:Very few of you were around when DUF was born out of the chaos on FDN.
Indeed. IIRC, I was running Arch at the time, so I missed the fun. Not by much though.
I've watched many of the more knowledgeable and interesting personalities disappear from these boards since, even more so after the recent systemd debacle. The thread you mention is full of familiar names I haven't seen in years.
I'll probably hang about as long as I have one box that uses apt though, so long as the downward spiral doesn't steepen too dramatically.

Thorny

#17 Post by Thorny »

As I commented personally to dasein, just before that username disappeared.

I'm finding it difficult to find posters that I want to help.

Nuff said!

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

Wheeler, I'm going to cut you some slack [haha, geddit?]. I agree with you largely. But systemd is such a contentious issue that I imagine it will always be part of discussion here.

I would just encourage you not to make any 'goodbye' threads since one can never be certain that one will not return.
Thorny wrote:As I commented personally to dasein
dasein is sorely missed.
Thorny wrote:I'm finding it difficult to find posters that I want to help.
And I thought it was just me.
HuangLao wrote:There you go again...just let sleeping dogs lie man.... Slackware is not for tinkers or Linux experts its for people who see the benefit in Slackware's setup and philosophy, anyone can use it.
Well, it's not for experts but I would agree it is for tinkerers. It does need, I would say, considerably more maintenance than Debian [stable, anyway]. Appropriately, I will quote something dasein said to me about it:
Slack has a very specific focus, and it's not ease-of-use.
Though I imagine as time goes on its maintenance will become second-nature to me [note to self - must upgrade kernel to 4.4.115].

Anyway, this topic isn't about Slackware. More to the point:
steve_v wrote: If you want more hugs, try the Ubuntu forums. I hear they're real friendly over there.
I think you mean the Mint forums. They're very huggy down that way. Most [NB: 'most' may be an exaggeration] posts on the Mint forums are just people saying, "yay I left Windows, go me!" etc.
golinux wrote:there was a HUGE exodus from this forum
The word 'exodus' already implies [actually, expresses] a large quantity.

Thorny

#19 Post by Thorny »

Lysander wrote:dasein is sorely missed.
Chuckle! Not by everyone, some had him "foed" if that is a word I can use.
Thorny wrote:I'm finding it difficult to find posters that I want to help.
Lysander wrote:And I thought it was just me.
Chuckle again!
steve_v wrote: If you want more hugs, try the Ubuntu forums. I hear they're real friendly over there.
Yes, yes, yes, I want more hugs and pets and bulletproof step-by-steps. I have a silver spoon, please spoon feed me because I deserve it. :-)

[edit] And censure those posters who are not nice to me. :-)
golinux wrote:there was a HUGE exodus from this forum
Lysander wrote:The word 'exodus' already implies [actually, expresses] a large quantity.
There were some "lively" discussions. :-) Personally I just lurked.

Glad to see you post here again, "admiral", you have a brain.

n_hologram

#20 Post by n_hologram »

GarryRicketson wrote:Well, the same as what I said in this thread 7 months ago,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 72#p653052
Lol I completely forgot about that. I knew my deja-vu meant something.
Interesting how the conversation has changed since then, though -- specifically, how this goodbye thread is based on the complete opposite premise as the one from awhile ago...
Earlier this year, wheelerof4te, OP of this thread, wrote:And frankly, I don't care about the future of Debian or any other GNU/Linux distro anymore. I had my cup of coffee...with them, and now I want out.

And also:
Time will tell which OS will survive and which will fade into oblivion. I also want to thank developers of Debian 7 Wheezy for creating the last good GNU/Linux OS, your wonderful creation had served me well for some time. Never again will there be another one like it, and I'm sad it's gonna be EOL next year. And this will sound harsh, but someone needs to say it nevertheless. Since Ian's death, this OS has went under and it's getting worse with each new release. Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
We might notice some obvious contradictions with the original post in this new goodbye thread, including (but not limited to):
Yesterday, the same user wrote:This does not come as a surprise to me, seeing the extreme anti-Debian stance taken by some prominent members of this forum.
Is this not the same anti-Debian stance taken in your original leaving thread? If not, please explain. At the least, I guess I'm glad you had a change of heart?
These are my honest thoughts, and I believe there are others who think the same.
I'm sure we do think the same, but probably not for the same reasons -- hence why derivatives exist. I saw that you're considering switching to MX; it's a solid distro as well. It's made possible because of user choice.

Freedom to choose is key.

(Final Edit, I swear) I do still think your intentions are more-or-less pure, and you seem to want to help new Linux members. Why not start a blog or something that's targeted towards new Linux users?
Last edited by n_hologram on 2018-02-07 19:56, edited 3 times in total.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...