Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DUF is (not) Debian

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: DUF is not Debian

#16 Post by steve_v »

golinux wrote:Very few of you were around when DUF was born out of the chaos on FDN.
Indeed. IIRC, I was running Arch at the time, so I missed the fun. Not by much though.
I've watched many of the more knowledgeable and interesting personalities disappear from these boards since, even more so after the recent systemd debacle. The thread you mention is full of familiar names I haven't seen in years.
I'll probably hang about as long as I have one box that uses apt though, so long as the downward spiral doesn't steepen too dramatically.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Thorny

#17 Post by Thorny »

As I commented personally to dasein, just before that username disappeared.

I'm finding it difficult to find posters that I want to help.

Nuff said!

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

Wheeler, I'm going to cut you some slack [haha, geddit?]. I agree with you largely. But systemd is such a contentious issue that I imagine it will always be part of discussion here.

I would just encourage you not to make any 'goodbye' threads since one can never be certain that one will not return.
Thorny wrote:As I commented personally to dasein
dasein is sorely missed.
Thorny wrote:I'm finding it difficult to find posters that I want to help.
And I thought it was just me.
HuangLao wrote:There you go again...just let sleeping dogs lie man.... Slackware is not for tinkers or Linux experts its for people who see the benefit in Slackware's setup and philosophy, anyone can use it.
Well, it's not for experts but I would agree it is for tinkerers. It does need, I would say, considerably more maintenance than Debian [stable, anyway]. Appropriately, I will quote something dasein said to me about it:
Slack has a very specific focus, and it's not ease-of-use.
Though I imagine as time goes on its maintenance will become second-nature to me [note to self - must upgrade kernel to 4.4.115].

Anyway, this topic isn't about Slackware. More to the point:
steve_v wrote: If you want more hugs, try the Ubuntu forums. I hear they're real friendly over there.
I think you mean the Mint forums. They're very huggy down that way. Most [NB: 'most' may be an exaggeration] posts on the Mint forums are just people saying, "yay I left Windows, go me!" etc.
golinux wrote:there was a HUGE exodus from this forum
The word 'exodus' already implies [actually, expresses] a large quantity.

Thorny

#19 Post by Thorny »

Lysander wrote:dasein is sorely missed.
Chuckle! Not by everyone, some had him "foed" if that is a word I can use.
Thorny wrote:I'm finding it difficult to find posters that I want to help.
Lysander wrote:And I thought it was just me.
Chuckle again!
steve_v wrote: If you want more hugs, try the Ubuntu forums. I hear they're real friendly over there.
Yes, yes, yes, I want more hugs and pets and bulletproof step-by-steps. I have a silver spoon, please spoon feed me because I deserve it. :-)

[edit] And censure those posters who are not nice to me. :-)
golinux wrote:there was a HUGE exodus from this forum
Lysander wrote:The word 'exodus' already implies [actually, expresses] a large quantity.
There were some "lively" discussions. :-) Personally I just lurked.

Glad to see you post here again, "admiral", you have a brain.

n_hologram

#20 Post by n_hologram »

GarryRicketson wrote:Well, the same as what I said in this thread 7 months ago,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 72#p653052
Lol I completely forgot about that. I knew my deja-vu meant something.
Interesting how the conversation has changed since then, though -- specifically, how this goodbye thread is based on the complete opposite premise as the one from awhile ago...
Earlier this year, wheelerof4te, OP of this thread, wrote:And frankly, I don't care about the future of Debian or any other GNU/Linux distro anymore. I had my cup of coffee...with them, and now I want out.

And also:
Time will tell which OS will survive and which will fade into oblivion. I also want to thank developers of Debian 7 Wheezy for creating the last good GNU/Linux OS, your wonderful creation had served me well for some time. Never again will there be another one like it, and I'm sad it's gonna be EOL next year. And this will sound harsh, but someone needs to say it nevertheless. Since Ian's death, this OS has went under and it's getting worse with each new release. Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
We might notice some obvious contradictions with the original post in this new goodbye thread, including (but not limited to):
Yesterday, the same user wrote:This does not come as a surprise to me, seeing the extreme anti-Debian stance taken by some prominent members of this forum.
Is this not the same anti-Debian stance taken in your original leaving thread? If not, please explain. At the least, I guess I'm glad you had a change of heart?
These are my honest thoughts, and I believe there are others who think the same.
I'm sure we do think the same, but probably not for the same reasons -- hence why derivatives exist. I saw that you're considering switching to MX; it's a solid distro as well. It's made possible because of user choice.

Freedom to choose is key.

(Final Edit, I swear) I do still think your intentions are more-or-less pure, and you seem to want to help new Linux members. Why not start a blog or something that's targeted towards new Linux users?
Last edited by n_hologram on 2018-02-07 19:56, edited 3 times in total.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

golinux

#21 Post by golinux »

The attributions in n_hologram's post were inaccurate but I finally found this quote. I remember reading it at the time and wondering how anyone who knew anything about Debian's history could make this statement:
Wheelerof4te wrote:Since Ian's death, this OS has went under and it's getting worse with each new release. Without it's creator to guide Debian, I fear it won't last long in The OS Swamp with so many crocodiles.
This is pure fantasy. Ian left the Debian project in the early 90s. Are you saying it's been downhill since then? Or did you think that he was still involved with Debian at the time of his death?

Those who forget history are doomed to reinvent it poorly . . .
May the FORK be with you!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

n_hologram wrote:you seem to want to help new Linux members. Why not start a blog or something that's targeted towards new Linux users?
Another one?
Surely that would just be increasing the confusing choices - there should clearly be only ONE linux newbie blog, that all the bloggers could work on together, so it would be the bestest newbie blog eva, and take all the market shares away from that nasty windows blog.
:roll:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiman

#23 Post by debiman »

dear Wheeleroffourte, i own 3 computers:

laptop runs armbian
desktop runs archlinux
server runs debian

so that makes only 33.333333333333333% debian (and oldstable at that).

am i allowed to post here?

yours sincerely,

a confused penguin.

Wheelerof4te

#24 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Lysander wrote:Wheeler, I'm going to cut you some slack [haha, geddit?]. I agree with you largely. But systemd is such a contentious issue that I imagine it will always be part of discussion here.

I would just encourage you not to make any 'goodbye' threads since one can never be certain that one will not return.
Thank you for the understanding. I'll stick around in the beginners and help sections, but don't expect any wise words and ideological discussions from me on this forum.

bw123

#25 Post by bw123 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
Lysander wrote:Wheeler, I'm going to cut you some slack [haha, geddit?]. I agree with you largely. But systemd is such a contentious issue that I imagine it will always be part of discussion here.

Thank you for the understanding. I'll stick around in the beginners and help sections, but don't expect any wise words and ideological discussions from me on this forum.
Welcome back Wheelerof4te!!

I like your idealogical crap, even if it is crap. You should give up all them evil pretenders and join with the "debian way" before something really idealogical grabs you.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#26 Post by steve_v »

Lysander wrote:dasein is sorely missed.
Yup.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bedtime

#27 Post by bedtime »

I like the icecream metaphor:

Debian is like vanilla icecream; when we have vanilla icecream, we are apt to mention other flavors.

Does that make our love for vanilla icecream any better or worse?

Some people act like we should be pledged to a particular distro. That is binding IMO; one should be free to express if one lives by the Linux philosophy.

n_hologram

#28 Post by n_hologram »

I am indebted to dasein for most of my initial success using Debian.
There's also another lovable user who might be more relevant to this thread: el_koraco.

If one plans to leave a forum, one should do so as he did -- with a track record of technical contributions, without making a goodbye thread, and one-time only.

(The user was, notwithstanding his departure, a strong voice in the crunchbang forums.)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

debiman

#29 Post by debiman »

n_hologram wrote:If one plans to leave a forum, one should do so as he did -- with a track record of technical contributions, without making a goodbye thread, and one-time only.
touché!
or, as some other user recently put it: sick burn!
:mrgreen:

golinux

#30 Post by golinux »

So what exactly happened to dasein?

He is still registered and it's possible to send him a PM which I did several weeks ago. When he didn't pick it up, I started to poke around and saw this thread (to which I had cluelessly posted).

He was by far one of the best things going for this forum and I'm bummed that there's a possibility that he is really gone, gone and not just taking a break.

If you have any clues why, please do share. Maybe I missed a blowout thread? It does seem that users expected that he was going to leave and some even said goodby . . .
May the FORK be with you!

Lysander

#31 Post by Lysander »

golinux wrote:So what exactly happened to dasein?

He is still registered and it's possible to send him a PM which I did several weeks ago. When he didn't pick it up, I started to poke around and saw this thread (to which I had cluelessly posted).

He was by far one of the best things going for this forum and I'm bummed that there's a possibility that he is really gone, gone and not just taking a break.
Yes - he is really gone, gone. He was getting increasingly disillusioned with the quality of posting on this forum. That, combined with his leaving Debian come Wheezy's EOL made his posting here rather futile. He won't be making a return. I have also noticed the decline in the relatively short time I have been here.

dcihon

#32 Post by dcihon »

Sorry to jump in here but what does this mean:
He was getting increasingly disillusioned with the quality of posting on this forum.

Lysander

#33 Post by Lysander »

dcihon wrote:Sorry to jump in here but what does this mean:
He was getting increasingly disillusioned with the quality of posting on this forum.
Try 'disappointed', then. And that's putting it mildly.

n_hologram

#34 Post by n_hologram »

If you read through his post hisory, it's evident that he spent a lot of time recently saying the same things over and over again.

bw123

#35 Post by bw123 »

n_hologram wrote:If you read through his post hisory, it's evident that he spent a lot of time recently saying the same things over and over again.
A common thing to do when you see the same questions asked over and over again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus
dasein wrote: User statistics Joined: 2011-03-03 21:06 Last visited: - Total posts: 7775 | Search user’s posts (1.28% of all posts / 3.00 posts per day)
resigned by AI ChatGPT