Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Speeding Up videos to not getting older!?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Speeding Up videos to not getting older!?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Anyone else Speeding Up videos to finish earlier??,

I decided im very old to wait for some videos to end, so lately Im increasing speed in some narrative videos with mpv so i dont have wait very much, its pretty funny to listen to movies at x1,75 speed. I can't go beyond, but at x1.75, some narrative videos can be listened properly, and you can reduce time for 1.75, so its a good practise.

So, give me your thoughts, anyone else doing these extrange things.. :mrgreen:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Speeding Up videos to not getting older!?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Good one jester, I will have to try that... :lol:

Have you ever read Catch-22?

One of the characters in the novel (Dunbar) aims to prolong his subjective lifespan by cultivating boredom — perhaps try that instead?
deadbang

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

If I speed up more than 1.75 will I get younger? :wink:

pawRoot

#4 Post by pawRoot »

4D696B65 wrote:If I speed up more than 1.75 will I get younger? :wink:
You will but you can't go beyond x1.75 in mpv, that's the problem.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The trick is to not change the pitch when speeding up, so you don't get the chipmunk effect. Some players enable this by default; with command line players like mplayer it's the "scaletempo" argument.

There's lots of studies that seem to show you have better comprehension and retention if you record a lecture or educational podcast, then play it back at a higher speed. Especially if the speaker has a naturally slow delivery--the theory is if you're quick-minded, your attention doesn't have time to wander off in the gaps between words.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

i like to get in the frame of mind required to listen to something at its natural speed. works for me.

of course there's plenty of youtubers who already apply that trick; sometimes it works, sometimes it gives me heartburn.

obviously it was meant as a joke, but nevertheless i need to reply seriously:
these sort of "tricks" don't work; you don't gain anything (like lifespan) except stress.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I remember when I had a record player that some songs recorded at 33rpm sounded better at 45rpm, is it like that?
deadbang

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

debiman wrote:i like to get in the frame of mind required to listen to something at its natural speed. works for me.

of course there's plenty of youtubers who already apply that trick; sometimes it works, sometimes it gives me heartburn.

obviously it was meant as a joke, but nevertheless i need to reply seriously:
these sort of "tricks" don't work; you don't gain anything (like lifespan) except stress.
I guess, it depends if you need to learn or you just need to get the message, for casual subjects, youtube videos of 20minits or so, i sometimes despair myself so speed up the video to 1,75 or more if i can, i get the message and i dont have to wait to end up the whole video ...

I do something similar sometimes in lectures, by jumping much words, and just try to get the message of that lecture.

I started to speedu up some videos as a curiosity, and now i tend to do it with many videos, and it just works.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:The trick is to not change the pitch when speeding up, so you don't get the chipmunk effect. Some players enable this by default; with command line players like mplayer it's the "scaletempo" argument.

There's lots of studies that seem to show you have better comprehension and retention if you record a lecture or educational podcast, then play it back at a higher speed. Especially if the speaker has a naturally slow delivery--the theory is if you're quick-minded, your attention doesn't have time to wander off in the gaps between words.
Very interesting this, I think that might be what i feel sometimes, my attention gets tired, when i just want to get the message of the recording and i have to wait for the whole narration to be passed to decode that message.

the older you get the lazy you are.., at least, thats my case. :mrgreen:

n_hologram

#10 Post by n_hologram »

Unironically, I speed up some Youtube tutorials to two times the normal speed, so I can determine where the absurd amounts of introduction ends and the actual tutorial begins. Car tutorials can be pretty bad, but computer tutorials are notoriously egregious.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

in retrospect, my previous comment assumed a well-made video, or speech.
granted, lot of youtube (and other) content is not like that.

n_hologram

#12 Post by n_hologram »

Lol I figured. And I'm sure bester wasn't referring to Youtube homebrew, either.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...