Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Folder viewer/manager (WIP).

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
frank38

Folder viewer/manager (WIP).

#1 Post by frank38 »

I want to get rid of the desktop icons, because I don't like them, to use a program like Conky. But I'd like to have on my desktop a simple folder viewer that simply list the folders and files in the selected directory, even more than one of it. I hope to implement the main features such as drag-n-drop from/to file managers, theme support and (I hope) thumbnails. At the moment I've already tried to make something and the results are promising, albeit the severe lack of the documentation about the drag-n-drop and the iconview widget. Really hard work.

Bulkley

Re: Folder viewer/manager (WIP).

#2 Post by Bulkley »

It looks like you are ready to use a window manager instead of a full features desktop. There are several good WMs so have a look and select one you feel comfortable with. I like Openbox coupled with a Tint2 taskbar. Both can be configured just about anyway you want although they take work. The lightest desktop is XFce and it can be configured very nicely to run without icon launchers. XFce has a good menu.

As to a file manager PCManFM and Thunar are good ones to start with. There are many others.

frank38

#3 Post by frank38 »

Bulkley wrote:It looks like you are ready to use a window manager instead of a full features desktop. There are several good WMs so have a look and select one you feel comfortable with. I like Openbox coupled with a Tint2 taskbar. Both can be configured just about anyway you want although they take work. The lightest desktop is XFce and it can be configured very nicely to run without icon launchers. XFce has a good menu.

As to a file manager PCManFM and Thunar are good ones to start with. There are many others.
Hidpi is the magic word. Nowadays only Gtk3, Qt5 and Efl (from Enlightenment) have full hidpi support, both text and gui. And I am a lazy boy too, so I get tired very soon. Tint2 or Stalonetray give people the ability to build a custom envirinment, but I think an application that let users to set the most common options is needed. At the momente I'm stuck with the Gtk3, dconf (and maybe xsettings) is the right daemon for me. I also thought to make a simple bar in Python including Stalonetray, quite easy to make, but Tint2 and the like are better solutions.
This application is the one I need at the moment,

frank38

#4 Post by frank38 »

How the program appears at the moment (using real rirectory):
(it's better to open the image into a new window)

- no titlebar
- uses the default icon theme
- uses the thumbnails if any
- open files and folders with the default applications
- customizable: directory to show, window size and position, icon size, thumbnail size, etc.
I hope to applay some transparencies to the background of the iconview widget, but I haven't found any info about that.

I'm going to implement the DnD stuff.

frank38

#5 Post by frank38 »

The program is going on well. I've started to write the code for the drag, and it is promising: I can drag and drop in Nautilus multiple files, even at the same time.

frank38

#6 Post by frank38 »

Here is the first preview of the program:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/j2xqj4pkq ... er-0.1.zip
md5sum: ae23e8342c6831576f63386fc212be28

At the moment, it:
- supports drag and drop: accepts and copy files and folders from file managers to the opened folder; files and folders can be copied elsewhere
- multiselection
- thumbnail support (if the folder has been opened with a file manager supporting thumbnailers)
- settings in the config.cfg file
- opens only the folder included (it's my choise, has already full support)

frank38

#7 Post by frank38 »

This is a new preview, just some little changes to make it really usable:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lzngw4141 ... -0.1.1.zip
md5sum: 90efa05ae4edcc31ec7945aaf0b93cea

It's the same as the above, except for some improvement.

frank38

#8 Post by frank38 »

A new preview of the program (V. 0.2):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dc2p6fcjf ... er-0.2.zip
md5sum: aac21bcc0f2d93113b6a8f235722fbf1

What has been added:
- thumbnail support: if chosen in the configuration file, the program can make and use the thumbnail by itself, following the freedesktop suggestions; uses PIL for images, popplers-utils for pdfs, ffmpegthumbnailer for videos: they are optional (but without them no thumbnails);
- thumbnail from others applications: if chosen, can use them if follow the freedesktop suggestions;
- right-mouse menu: rename, delete, compression to zip, extraction from zip;
- when the mouse pointer is over an item, some infos are shown: name, type, size
- more options in the configuration file: more image and video formats can be added, more other settings.

To try it, just exec folder-viewer.py from a terminal. It will open the example folder (but any can be chosen by changing the path in the configcfg.py file ).
Last edited by frank38 on 2018-06-13 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

frank38

#9 Post by frank38 »

I've started playing with the layout:
- please open the image in a new tab -
The first item is selected, the second is highlighted. The third shows the link symbol (in fact, it is a link to the first file).

frank38

#10 Post by frank38 »

The program is going on well. The copy, cut and paste functionality and implementation is in progress, despite I had to write some python missing method :( (related to copy/cut) in c/gtk code.

frank38

#11 Post by frank38 »

I'll develop this project no more, because I haven't found any solutions for a nice graphic interface (maybe, one day...). So, I've moved to another project from this one, a (an almost) complete file manager.

frank38

#12 Post by frank38 »

Here is the really first shot of the program:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/2h73wrd.jpg
The last tab shows the raw content of one of my usb mass storage device.

At the moment, only the tab funcionality has been implemented.
My goal is to make a program with all I want from a file manager:
- tabs
- preview of files
- searching
- a place to show the data and the preview of the selected file/folder
- some king of support for (custom) plugins
- emblems
- comments
- rating
- some missed ideas

If some users have some ideas to share, let me know :)

frank38

#13 Post by frank38 »

Some progress since yesterday:
http://oi65.tinypic.com/3446r0o.jpg

The tab system has been implemented. Each page has its own close button.
Each folder can be opened in the same page, or in a new page.
At bottom a preview of the info e management part. There, image files will have a larger preview; etc.
I hope to finish this program by this year. :!:

frank38

#14 Post by frank38 »

What I did so far:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/fwqec6.jpg

- tab system: fully implemented
- using the system icon theme: done
- top left button: go to the upper folder: fully implemented
- top right button: history of all opened folders: fully implemented
- the two buttons in the middle of the picture: show hidden items and search for files and folders: fully implemented
- at the bottom of the picture: a new tab appears when the search button is pressed: the searching for files and folders is fully implemented.
Last edited by frank38 on 2018-06-13 16:40, edited 4 times in total.

Wheelerof4te

#15 Post by Wheelerof4te »

While it is great that you have made something so lightweight and useful for various wm builds, have you considered offering your support to an already working project?

A lot of smaller projects like rox file manager, even thunar and caja could use more manpower. You can also choose any other project, I'm sure they could use someone skilled enough with ideas to improve their software. Someone who can review the code, fix bugs, add UI tweak, things like that.

n_hologram

#16 Post by n_hologram »

frank38 wrote:What I did so far:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/fwqec6.jpg

- tab system: fully implemented
- using the system icon theme: done
- top left button: go to the upper folder: fully implemented
- top right button: history of all opened folders: fully implemented
- the two buttons in the middle of the picture: show hidden items and search for files and folders: fully implemented
- at the bottom of the picture: a new tab appears when the search button is pressed: the searching for files and folders is fully implemented.
What are the dependencies?

Also, where's the source?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

frank38

#17 Post by frank38 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:While it is great that you have made something so lightweight and useful for various wm builds, have you considered offering your support to an already working project?

A lot of smaller projects like rox file manager, even thunar and caja could use more manpower. You can also choose any other project, I'm sure they could use someone skilled enough with ideas to improve their software. Someone who can review the code, fix bugs, add UI tweak, things like that.
I'm making some programs for myself, and at cost of a few more lines of code they could be useful to some users too. I'm not interested in being part of any group.

frank38

#18 Post by frank38 »

n_hologram wrote: What are the dependencies?

Also, where's the source?
The source code is in my PC. :) At the moment the program isn't usable because it lack of the right-mouse button menu. All you can see in the pictures has been implemented (plus most of the recicle bin functionality today).
Very little dependencies: python3, Gtk3, and a couple of python modules every distro have in they repo.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

n_hologram wrote:Also, where's the source?
i did ask op about that a while back.
it seems they haven't quite grasped the concept of FOSS.
i'm certainly not going to click a mediafire zip file to find out what it contains...
honourable intentions, just a little misguided? or needy of attention (yet not really sharing)?

frank38

#20 Post by frank38 »

debiman wrote:
n_hologram wrote:Also, where's the source?
i did ask op about that a while back.
it seems they haven't quite grasped the concept of FOSS.
i'm certainly not going to click a mediafire zip file to find out what it contains...
honourable intentions, just a little misguided? or needy of attention (yet not really sharing)?
The source code is always the source code, even at mediafire.
The program is written in python, so everybody can watch it.
At the moment the program is at early stage of development, yet not usable at all.
When it will be ready for a preview, I'll upload the code somewhere.