Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

w3m rotate?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ignatius

w3m rotate?

#1 Post by ignatius »

Hi,
I'm having problems with the w3m web browser. When I browse a web site with graphics, the images are sideways. So, I was wondering if it is at all possible to "rotate" the screen for w3mimgdisplay? I've searched the web on this topic, and I haven't found anything on it. Would I have to modify the code to achieve this?
I've tried passing "--dfb:layer-rotate=90" to w3mimgdisplay, but no luck. Anyone have any ides?

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm running Arch Linux ARM on this machine. It's actually on a Zipit Z2 (A cool little palmtop computer)...
The line I need to change is this:

imgdisplay w3mimgdisplay
Last edited by ignatius on 2018-02-14 02:23, edited 4 times in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: w3m rotate?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well it might depend on what OS you are using, you don't bother to mention that, it also would depend on your default image viewer is.

On both my Debian 7( wheezy ), and OpenBsd 6.2, when I view a image , my default image viewer is, ImageMagick, and display to display the images, and they usually appear as they should.
I just now checked, using OpenBsd at the moment. When image is viewed, I can hover the mouse over it, left click, this opens a menu, select :transform > rotate right (or left), and I can rotate the image side ways, or if it all ready was side ways, rotate it left or right as needed.
Or the command is :

Code: Select all

display -rotate 90 chanate-tmb.jpg  
(where it says chanate-tmb.jpg, would be the path to the image, and it's name)
For example, on my system, it would be:

Code: Select all

display -rotate 90 /home/garry/.w3m/w3mtmp47726-0.JPG
As you can see, it is much easier just to use the "left click", select > transform > rotate, in the menu,..... of course if your default viewer is not imagemagick, and the display command, for example some people use "feh", but I don't know , never used it my self.

Really , you don't give enough details to be able to give any solid answer,...

ignatius

#3 Post by ignatius »

What is this "display" line you are posting?

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

'display' is the command that let's me view a image, using ImageMagick, which is my default graphics program.
The line I showed is the command that would rotate the image, when it is "opened" or displayed. When you are view images, w3m has them in temporary files, in your /home/user/.w3m directory.
Since you can view a image, even though it is side ways, that shows you have some kind of graphics, or image viewer. From what I read last night, some people do use one called 'feh' as well.
I do not know much about w3m, don't really use it much, don't like it. Normally I use "Links" or "Lynx", but that is not important. Any way, I did a whole bunch of searches as well, and you are right , there does not seem to be any information
in relation to w3m, and configuring the w3mimgdisplay option.
I did find it, in the "options", but the same as what you said, any changes I made, did not effect anything.
Any way, this is why I asked about what your default graphics program is ,(image viewer). I mean for example, with out w3m, or a browser, how do you view images, on your system ? Do you have a Window manager, or Desktop Environment ? it might help to know which , if you do.
Since I don't know much about w3m, the only thing I could do was try searching, and sadly, like you said , I can not find anything on this, I also looked for maybe some forums for w3m, and nothing, apparently there is a
mailing list, but I did not see any details on joining that list,...maybe if I have a chance today I can look some more. Or, hopefully maybe we do have some members here that are more familiar with w3m, and the options, configuring, etc.