Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Best solution to change all your web registration passwords

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Deblib

Best solution to change all your web registration passwords

#1 Post by Deblib »

Hello.
If someone is robbed of their computer with all the log-in passwords on web pages stored in their browser (in my case Firefox), you should change them. What would be the best solution for this? (Logging into your profile on each page and changing it would be slow and laborious and I don't know if there can be any more automated way)

Dai_trying

Re: Best solution to change all your web registration passwo

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

Slow and laborious would be the only way, if it were too easy to log in to these accounts and change the password then there would be no (or very little) security involved which would defeat the point of using usernames/passwords in the first place.

dcihon

#3 Post by dcihon »

If you are worried about your passwords being stolen then don't have the browser store them.
Write them on a piece of paper. Then the only thing you have to worry about is someone breaking into your house and stealing them or your house catches on fire.
Last edited by dcihon on 2018-03-09 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

If you have set a Master Password:
If you have lost or forgotten your master password or you want to disable the feature, you can reset the master password. Resetting the master password will remove all stored password information. Upon resetting, you will lose all the stored information in the Password Manager, as this is a built-in security feature to prevent people from simply resetting your Master Password to gain access to your passwords.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password

JayEgger

#5 Post by JayEgger »

Personally, I just use an in-browser password manager and store my master password in a project management tool.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

i use keepassx (both on my desktop and on my phone).
set up carefully, it can inject login credentials with a hotkey i believe, so you wouldn't need your browser's password storage at all.