Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Uninstall LinuxCNC

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
electrophile

Uninstall LinuxCNC

#1 Post by electrophile »

I installed LinuxCNC on a notebook, just to test the installation process and kinda familiarise myself with it before moving to the desktop. During the installation the installer made modifications to the MBR and now every time I reboot my notebook I see the GRUB menu asking me to choose the OS I want to boot into. Prior to the LinuxCNC installation, the notebook had Ubuntu and Windows 7 installations.

How do I remove LinuxCNC while going back to the OS selector screen that would show when I had installed Ubuntu. I do not have a lot of linux experience and certainly not enough to mess with boot records. Any help would be much appreciated!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Uninstall LinuxCNC

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Boot Ubuntu and reinstall it's version of grub to the MBR.
Then you can just nuke the LinuxCNC partition without any further effect.

Also, why you asking here?
No Debian seems to be involved.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

electrophile

#3 Post by electrophile »

Thanks! I'll try that. I figured since LinuxCNC is a debian variant, I'd post here.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

electrophile wrote:Thanks! I'll try that. I figured since LinuxCNC is a debian variant, I'd post here.
Not Debian specific. You'll get the exact same problem if you install any new distro and let it handle the booting. A workaround, if the installer allows it, is not to install something like GRUB at all, and let your preferred install handle it with "update-grub".
MX Linux packager and developer