Cambridge Analytica

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Cambridge Analytica

Postby None1975 » 2018-04-10 12:04

Fernando Negro wrote:Ever wondered why Zuckerberg covers the camera and microphone of his laptop?

Due to the fact that the Central Intelligence Agency and NSA is not drowning :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
Linux User #607425
None1975

Postby n_hologram » 2018-04-19 13:13

I know this is old news -- which it shouldn't be, since Facebook is still happily mining data -- but I happened across this interview with Antonio Martinez, who used to work at Facebook. I agree with his position that the real harm isn't necessarily with advertisers, or the amoral internal directors, but with some very human natures that Facebook is really good at probing.

Cognitive dissonance means monetary capital. (It isn't like we don't see cognitive dissonance on these forums, either.)
In my mind, the scary sort of parts of Facebook is the fake news, the filter bubble, the online tribes that don’t speak to each other, the political polarization. The organic side, to me, is scarier than the ad side...the reality is that Facebook is cognitive dissonance at scale. Cognitive dissonance is the feeling of awkwardness you feel when your worldview gets contradicted in some concrete way...the algorithm, by default, is designed to placate you by shielding you from the things you don’t want to hear about.

Job security always threatens activism.
One thing that I think is annoying is the lack of moral courage in Silicon Valley. No one takes a stand on anything ‘cause the opportunity costs can be so great given the winner-take-all nature of it...

(Nonexistent) editorship is also something I never really considered with the way Facebook selectively hashes ads:
The other way of looking at it is that historically, we had editorship for a few reasons. One, it was an appeal to authority. “These people just understand these political issues, whatever, better.” The other is — maybe not so much in the U.S., but certainly in Europe — that the editor should edify us...Basically, editors are there to tell you to eat your vegetables. Facebook is kind of like, “Well, the algorithm says to feed you just endless sugar and fat, right, and that’s what we’re going to do.” These people have just abdicated any sort of responsibility toward informing or educating the public. Somehow, we have subconsciously accepted that.

It's a good read for anyone who no longer uses Facebook, and is therefore unaware of its burdensome user experience.
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/anto ... rview.html
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Postby oswaldkelso » 2018-05-03 17:11

Cambridge Analytica’s dead

Welcome to Emerdata
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby debiman » 2018-05-04 02:50

i wrote about CA's bankruptcy yesterday, and without yet knowing about Emerdata, I "predicted" this exact scenario...

It's good that facebook got slapped around by this, but an equally important issue is that these practices (*) aren't illegal - and nobody seems to give a rat's ass about that. It's infuriating.

(*) let's recap:
exploiting user data, of course, duh, then using it to influence people through fake advertisement, fake facebook users, and other fake content, like blogs created especially to spread a certain opinion.
how is all that fake content not illegal? deliberately spreading lies, with intent? i don't understand.
and the client that pays for all this, decides which opinion...
debiman

Postby alan stone » 2018-05-04 11:51

debiman wrote:nobody seems to give a rat's ass about that.

Z(s)uck to begin with: Facebook moves 1.5bn users out of reach of new European privacy law.

It's for the common good: FB Dating.

Next: FB Mating? :lol:
Debian 8.10 32bit, WM: Openbox
If everyone is thinking alike then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
alan stone

Postby nsuchy » 2018-05-04 17:12

Not sure if anyone saw the news but apparently the firm is shutting down.
nsuchy

Postby debiman » 2018-05-04 18:10

nsuchy wrote:Not sure if anyone saw the news but apparently the firm is shutting down.
duh:
debiman wrote:i wrote about CA's bankruptcy yesterday
and also read the rest of this page. wouldn't want you to miss important information.

facebook as a company might be a bit safer in Trumpistan, it migth save them from (further) fines, but - AFAICS - this has little impact on the fact that their services have to abide to EU's stricter privacy law.
debiman

Postby alan stone » 2018-05-05 04:35

^ Oh, does FB provide a service? :mrgreen:
Debian 8.10 32bit, WM: Openbox
If everyone is thinking alike then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
alan stone

Previous

Return to Offtopic