Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cambridge Analytica

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Cambridge Analytica

#91 Post by None1975 »

Fernando Negro wrote:Ever wondered why Zuckerberg covers the camera and microphone of his laptop?
Due to the fact that the Central Intelligence Agency and NSA is not drowning :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

n_hologram

#92 Post by n_hologram »

I know this is old news -- which it shouldn't be, since Facebook is still happily mining data -- but I happened across this interview with Antonio Martinez, who used to work at Facebook. I agree with his position that the real harm isn't necessarily with advertisers, or the amoral internal directors, but with some very human natures that Facebook is really good at probing.

Cognitive dissonance means monetary capital. (It isn't like we don't see cognitive dissonance on these forums, either.)
In my mind, the scary sort of parts of Facebook is the fake news, the filter bubble, the online tribes that don’t speak to each other, the political polarization. The organic side, to me, is scarier than the ad side...the reality is that Facebook is cognitive dissonance at scale. Cognitive dissonance is the feeling of awkwardness you feel when your worldview gets contradicted in some concrete way...the algorithm, by default, is designed to placate you by shielding you from the things you don’t want to hear about.
Job security always threatens activism.
One thing that I think is annoying is the lack of moral courage in Silicon Valley. No one takes a stand on anything ‘cause the opportunity costs can be so great given the winner-take-all nature of it...
(Nonexistent) editorship is also something I never really considered with the way Facebook selectively hashes ads:
The other way of looking at it is that historically, we had editorship for a few reasons. One, it was an appeal to authority. “These people just understand these political issues, whatever, better.” The other is — maybe not so much in the U.S., but certainly in Europe — that the editor should edify us...Basically, editors are there to tell you to eat your vegetables. Facebook is kind of like, “Well, the algorithm says to feed you just endless sugar and fat, right, and that’s what we’re going to do.” These people have just abdicated any sort of responsibility toward informing or educating the public. Somehow, we have subconsciously accepted that.

It's a good read for anyone who no longer uses Facebook, and is therefore unaware of its burdensome user experience.
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/anto ... rview.html
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#93 Post by oswaldkelso »

Cambridge Analytica’s dead

Welcome to Emerdata
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

debiman

#94 Post by debiman »

i wrote about CA's bankruptcy yesterday, and without yet knowing about Emerdata, I "predicted" this exact scenario...

It's good that facebook got slapped around by this, but an equally important issue is that these practices (*) aren't illegal - and nobody seems to give a rat's ass about that. It's infuriating.

(*) let's recap:
exploiting user data, of course, duh, then using it to influence people through fake advertisement, fake facebook users, and other fake content, like blogs created especially to spread a certain opinion.
how is all that fake content not illegal? deliberately spreading lies, with intent? i don't understand.
and the client that pays for all this, decides which opinion...

alan stone

#95 Post by alan stone »

debiman wrote:nobody seems to give a rat's ass about that.
Z(s)uck to begin with: Facebook moves 1.5bn users out of reach of new European privacy law.

It's for the common good: FB Dating.

Next: FB Mating? :lol:

nsuchy

#96 Post by nsuchy »

Not sure if anyone saw the news but apparently the firm is shutting down.

debiman

#97 Post by debiman »

nsuchy wrote:Not sure if anyone saw the news but apparently the firm is shutting down.
duh:
debiman wrote:i wrote about CA's bankruptcy yesterday
and also read the rest of this page. wouldn't want you to miss important information.

facebook as a company might be a bit safer in Trumpistan, it migth save them from (further) fines, but - AFAICS - this has little impact on the fact that their services have to abide to EU's stricter privacy law.

alan stone

#98 Post by alan stone »

^ Oh, does FB provide a service? :mrgreen:

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#99 Post by oswaldkelso »

Netflix: The Great Hack ... Democracy is dead
Free Software Matters

Head_on_a_Stick

#100 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oswaldkelso wrote:Netflix: The Great Hack ... Democracy is dead
Yeah, that looks interesting.

Did you see Carole Cadwalladr's TED talk? https://www.ted.com/talks/carole_cadwal ... _democracy
deadbang

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#101 Post by oswaldkelso »

Hos
Cheers. I shall be sharing that.

A clip from her TED talk featured at the end of The Great Hack.
Free Software Matters

golinux

#102 Post by golinux »

Was there supposed to be a link there?
May the FORK be with you!

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#103 Post by oswaldkelso »

I think the options are sign up for Netflix or just visit just about any torrent provider
Free Software Matters

pylkko

#104 Post by pylkko »

That's the irony here, the complete picture with respect to ICT and electronics. Multiple people in this thread saying they stopped using facebook. Yet, to know about it you need to use netflix (which essentially is facebook). Many places around the world schooll systems teach children the importance of critical thinking. the capacity to evaluate sources and find their own sources by themselves, as oposed to trusting hearsay, their parents or whatever. Yet at the same time those same schools teach children to "google it". As if google were some kind of unbiased portal to free information about anything. They don't teach that Peter and Alice get different results and different possibilities because they have been profiled in distinct ways for distinct purposes.

Furthermore, how do you even avoid it any more? Whatsapp the most used messaging platform is owned by facebook. I don't know about you, but my colleagues use whatsapp for communicating about work. A person in their teens now, can "delete their facebook etc", but then they will face not being able to have a relationship, kids, a job.

Head_on_a_Stick

#105 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:A person in their teens now, can "delete their facebook etc", but then they will face not being able to have a relationship, kids, a job.
Depends on the relationships, kids & job — I have all three but no FaceBook account. I don't even need email for $DAY_JOB :)
deadbang

sickpig

#106 Post by sickpig »

fb was fined what just 5 bil by d.duck administration for cambridge fiasco, while fb's revenue is 55 bil.

So, these are the times we are living in.

more surprises in store. watch this space :)

pylkko

#107 Post by pylkko »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pylkko wrote:A person in their teens now, can "delete their facebook etc", but then they will face not being able to have a relationship, kids, a job.
Depends on the relationships, kids & job — I have all three but no FaceBook account. I don't even need email for $DAY_JOB :)
I see your point, but I fear that the kind of situation you describe will become ever more rare as time passes.

Also, if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.

sickpig

#108 Post by sickpig »

pylkko wrote:Also, if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.
:lol: the trick is to hide in plain sight 8)

Head_on_a_Stick

#109 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.
That can be mitigated to some extent by using something like LineageOS with FDroid instead of the Play Store and startpage as the search engine in FF.
deadbang

pylkko

#110 Post by pylkko »

Here is another interesting documentary:
China is developing a "social credit system" to evaluate its citizens' behavior. The system uses a point scheme to reward good conduct and punish bad conduct -- such as criticizing the government, or even running a red traffic light.

People who pay their bills too late or drink too much alcohol will be given penalty points, and could face travel restrictions or have their financial credit rating lowered. Good conduct could be rewarded with discounts on bookings for hotels or rental cars. The system will use the millions of suveillance cameras that have been installed throughout China -- plus facial-recognition- and motion-profile technology -- to keep track of people. The "social credit system" is now in the testing phase, and it's already become controversial. It's scheduled to be introduced in Beijing next year.
In our report, we'll meet a young woman who works as a marketing manager, and has a good behavior rating. She says it may help to get her young son into a top-quality school. We also talk to a journalist whose reports on corruption earned him a bad score. The authorities then blocked his social-media accounts, and banned him from flying on passenger jets. The "social credit system" has hit one of China's ethnic minorities particularly hard: the mostly-Muslim Uighurs, who live in the northwestern autonomous region of Xinjiang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8a8yG0uEaw
Last edited by pylkko on 2019-07-30 15:39, edited 1 time in total.