Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ignore user not possible! meaning of colors for usernames?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
debiman

ignore user not possible! meaning of colors for usernames?

#1 Post by debiman »

there's this wall of writing.
i have long since given up reading it, because it rarely hits the topic and often repeats the same advice.
it is of no use to me.
but even scrolling over it is a nuisance.
in other words, there's a user i'd like to ignore - it is called "Add foe" on fdn, which i find a little too dramatic but whatever.
only, i cannot ignore, because this user has their name in purple.
so, what exactly do these colour codes mean? i think there was a page on fdn explaining them, but cannot find it now.

anyhow, i think forcing this wall of words, this logorrhea, down my throat again and again, and me not being able to stop that, is - well, not very nice.

i would suggest that users who have some sort of job here on fdn, and cannot restrict their outpours, open a secondary account for just that, and use the color coded account for whatever their task is, and only for that.
thank you.

Lysander

Re: ignore user not possible! meaning of colors for username

#2 Post by Lysander »

debiman wrote:logorrhea
Great, I wasn't aware of this word.

I know the user you are referring to, and he's the only one who I've had an issue with here on FDN. I personally just ignore his posts now. Nothing else to do.

Ironically, he has me on his ignore list. I didn't know we couldn't do the same.

To answer your question as best I can:

Administrators [red] - can do anything with the forum, delete/create boards, users etc.

Global moderators [green] - moderate posts, delete posts, lock threads etc.

Server Admins [orange] - erm server admin?

Spam Hunters [purple] - can flag spam to mods but can't delete it, as far as I can tell.

There may be a 'mods forum' which is hidden to all but the above.

I may be wrong on the finer details, but this is my take on things from when I used to be admin over at a couple of other fora.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

I have thought about ignoring just about everybody on here at least once over the years. Now I just use "foes" for people that post repeated questions that could be answered with a search, or brief read through the man page... or people who argue about why debian is doing things all wrong, or why it's okay to mix stable and testing/sid because it works fine today.

Really the only reason I ignore people is to remind me not to reply or feed the trolls. OTOH I have found that people who try my patience, or get under my skin often have the weird ability to make me think and examine my own opinions, which actually can help me better understand issues and the way I see things.

Feel free to ignore this, but if a person on a forum is able to annoy you, then maybe you are too easily annoyed?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

this topic is apart from the personal annoyance i feel for some individuals.

but i don't see why all sorts of admins should be treated differently than us lusers.
debiman wrote:so, what exactly do these colour codes mean? i think there was a page on fdn explaining them, but cannot find it now.
does this page exist somewhere on fdn, or was i dreaming?
Last edited by debiman on 2018-03-25 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

>>> http://forums.debian.net/faq.php

>>> http://forums.debian.net/faq.php#f4r0
Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.
Moderators have the ability to issue a "warning" to a user. How would that be if that user could block the moderator?

Since I am not an Administrator does that make me a rent-a-cop?

(Maybe I should find that offensive! :roll: )

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

arochester wrote:Moderators have the ability to issue a "warning" to a user. How would that be if that user could block the moderator?
i never requested anything like that; maybe you'd like to re-read my op?
sorry, but i still don't see the color codes explained.
i think i saw it once, here somewhere, but maybe it was just a user that explained it.
Since I am not an Administrator does that make me a rent-a-cop?

(Maybe I should find that offensive! :roll: )
yeah sorry, that was pointless & i removed it now, but i hope you noticed that i also offend myself in that same sentence.

i am not a victim here.
if you look at my OP, you will see that i am not shouting abuse, not requesting or formally complaining about anything.
it's just an expression of disagreement, and a request to those who - in my eyes - "overdo it".

n_hologram

#7 Post by n_hologram »

What if you wrote a greasemonkey/user script that replaces their comments with some prescribed text? In an ideal world, the replacement text would be snippets of something you'd intend to read anyway, like a preferred news source or eBook.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

debiman wrote:sorry, but i still don't see the color codes explained.
i think i saw it once, here somewhere, but maybe it was just a user that explained it.
It's at the bottom of the Board index page, titled Legend :)

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Dai_trying wrote:It's at the bottom of the Board index page, titled Legend :)
thank you, i knew i missed something in plain sight...

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

You're welcome

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

OK, fine, I'll STFU...
deadbang

jibberjabber

#12 Post by jibberjabber »

n_hologram wrote:What if you wrote a greasemonkey/user script that replaces their comments with some prescribed text? In an ideal world, the replacement text would be snippets of something you'd intend to read anyway, like a preferred news source or eBook.
This is the best method to control what you see on a website, if you are using FireFox.
https://www.techradar.com/news/internet ... ing-598247
The beginner's guide to Greasemonkey scripting

By Juliet Kemp May 17, 2009 Internet
How to make the web work exactly as you want it to
There are some samples here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/916 ... -a-website

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name     _Remove annoying divs
// @include  http://YOUR_SERVER/YOUR_PATH/*
// @require  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.0/jquery.min.js
// @grant    GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==
//- The @grant directive is needed to restore the proper sandbox.

/*--- Use the jQuery contains selector to find content to remove.
    Beware that not all whitespace is as it appears.
*/
var badDivs = $("div div:contains('Annoying text, CASE SENSITIVE')");

badDivs.remove ();

//-- Or use badDivs.hide(); to just hide the content. 
In stead of whining and crying , the OP and their buddie could do some research and just remove anything they don't want to see , from any page, instead of starting rants and useless threads like this one.
debiman wrote:
logorrhea
That is a funny word, and it fits perfect, that is exactly true. This Debiman, wrote pure logorrea, he or she seems to be good at that.

jibberjabber

#13 Post by jibberjabber »

It is sad to see this on this forum, Mr. or Mrs. Debiman could have really caused some harm to the person they are directing the term Logorrhea to, I guess they don't realize that there are some people not quite as "gifted and perfect" as they are.
This Debiman should really think twice before throwing around insults like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logorrhea_%28psychology%29
Logorrhea (psychology)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the psychological term. For the linguistic and stylistic term, see Logorrhoea (rhetoric).

In psychology, logorrhea or logorrhoea (from Ancient Greek λόγος logos "word" and ῥέω rheo "to flow") is a communication disorder that causes excessive wordiness and talkativeness, which can sometimes lead to incoherency. Logorrhea is sometimes classified as a mental illness and can result from a variety of psychiatric and neurological disorders[1] including aphasia,[2] localized cortical lesions in the thalamus,[3][4] mania,[citation needed] or most typically in catatonic schizophrenia.[citation needed]

Examples of logorrhea might include talking or mumbling monotonously, either to others, or more likely to oneself. This may include the repetition of particular words or phrases, often incoherently. The causes of logorrhea remain poorly understood, but appear to be localized to frontal lobe structures known to be associated with language. As is the case, for example, in emotional lability in a wide variety of neurological conditions, other symptoms take priority in clinical management and research efforts. Other symptoms include excessive talking, words that avoid any logic or reason, words that may offend other people and random words which hearers may ascribe unintended meaning to.

Logorrhea should not be confused with pressure of speech, which is characterized by the "flighty" alternation from topic to topic by tenuous links such as rhyming or punning.[5] Logorrhea is a symptom of an underlying illness, and should be treated by a medical professional.[citation needed]
Just like someone with a speech disability, it is hard for people with these kind of handicaps, they are accused of being drunk , when they are not,...In school , the other kids constantly tease them, people in general ,constantly put them down, and make fun of them . Life is not easy for those that are not as perfect as Mr/Mrs Debiman, and their buddies like Lysander.
Some people that have had strokes, also are affected in ways that make them appear drunk, or something, and it can affect the way they write.
I do happen to know the person they are referring to, and I am sure they will be happy to know the member they are referring to will not be around any more, at least posting anything, nor trying to help any one. The damage is done. I suppose in the opinion of Debiman, any one that is not as prefect as he is, should be shot in the head, I saw in another topic where he/she actually did suggest that, so that kind of shows what kind of person Debiman is. "Shoot em in the head", if you don't like them.

n_hologram

#14 Post by n_hologram »

I've never actually used userscripts or touched javascript (aside from blocking it), so this was about as far as I got.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name New Script
// @namespace Violentmonkey Scripts
// @include http://forums.debian.net/*
// ==/UserScript==

var w = document.getElementsByClassName("author");
var x = document.getElementsByClassName("content");
var y = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
var i;
for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) {
  // https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/prop_element_nextelementsibling.asp
    x[i].style.backgroundColor = "red";
    x[i].innerHTML = "I DON'T NEED TO READ THIS NONSENSE.";
    w[i].innerHTML = "FORGET THIS JERK";
  //  should pull the next sibling text, which contains usernames, so that a true blacklist capability can be implemented
  //  however, some null strings break the script: instead of ignoring them, it just stops.
  //  console.log(y[i].nextElementSibling.innerText);
} 
Despite it's status as sub-alpha-quality trash, in its defense, it's bound to increase productivity at the workplace.

None of this solves the issue of splicing @horse_ebooks quotes in place of every post, however.
horse_ebooks wrote:Everything happens so much
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

jibberjabber

#15 Post by jibberjabber »

n_hologram>> Despite it's status as sub-alpha-quality trash, in its defense,it's bound to increase productivity at the workplace.
Thanks, n_hologram for sharing this script,
I don't know if you will read the reply, based on your screenshot, maybe not.
But that's great, I like how that works.

yeti

#16 Post by yeti »

debiman wrote:i would suggest that users who have some sort of job here on fdn, and cannot restrict their outpours, open a secondary account for just that, and use the color coded account for whatever their task is, and only for that.
Big fat "+1"!
"I have a natural instinct for science" — DJ Trump.
"Vrijdag voor VT100!" — Yeti.
"There is no PLANET-B!" — ???

Lysander

#17 Post by Lysander »

jibberjabber wrote:It is sad to see this on this forum, Mr. or Mrs. Debiman could have really caused some harm to the person they are directing the term Logorrhea to
Going by your citation it's a perfectly reasonable diagnosis.
jibberjabber wrote:Life is not easy for those that are not as perfect as Mr/Mrs Debiman, and their buddies like Lysander.
Strange comment. I don't see my life as particularly perfect: I do have some physical advantages, very true, but the psychological ones are a different matter. I personally would not make such assumptions about someone I didn't know on the internet, and I would extend such an invitation to yourself.
jibberjabber wrote:Some people that have had strokes, also are affected in ways that make them appear drunk, or something, and it can affect the way they write.
That is indeed true, I have met one such person and I thought he was inebriated, turns out he had, I think, a tumour or was recovering from a stroke.
jibberjabber wrote:I do happen to know the person they are referring to, and I am sure they will be happy to know the member they are referring to will not be around any more, at least posting anything, nor trying to help any one. The damage is done.
I dare say that's for the best. That is not meant to sound heartless, it's purely a statement of fact.
jibberjabber wrote:I suppose in the opinion of Debiman, any one that is not as prefect as he is, should be shot in the head, I saw in another topic where he/she actually did suggest that, so that kind of shows what kind of person Debiman is. "Shoot em in the head", if you don't like them.
People should have a thicker skin, especially on the internet. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are far more lethal in their commentary than the Debian forums . Having said that, I have mentioned in a previous topic that I acknowledge the harm that can be caused by such comments.