Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing nintendo 64 emulator on a debian system

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ap3sc@ped

#1 Post by ap3sc@ped »

Hi folks, I recently bought a raspberry pi 3 in order to learn about computers and the Linux system (total newbie).

As far as I know, it runs on Raspbian, a Debian-based OS.

As playing is probably the first thing I'd want to do with a computer, and being interested by anything retro-gaming related, the first step I want to fulfill is to install a N64 emulator on my system.

So, I am now faced with two problems;

1. I don't know which emulator to install.
2. I don't know how to install anything on Linux.

I'll be gratefull of any help/advice, thanks.

Wheelerof4te

Re: Installing nintendo 64 emulator on a debian system

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

There are few NES emulators in Debian repos. Tried Nestopia?

jibberjabber

#4 Post by jibberjabber »

It is all ways good to do some searches first, before asking something, sometimes the answers are all ready available some where.
About:
First 3 hits:
Mupen64Plus - Debian Wiki

https://wiki.debian.org/Mupen64Plus Proxy Highlight

13 Mar 2016 ... Mupen64Plus is a cross-platform N64 emulator that works with many ROMs that are publically available. It is maintained by richard42 and was originally based off of ... Installation. apt-get install mupen64plus-ui-console. or to install Mupen64Plus-Qt: apt-get install mupen64plus-qt. or to install M64Py:.
Emulator - Debian Wiki

https://wiki.debian.org/Emulator Proxy Highlight

26 Jul 2017 ... This portal explain how to emulate other systems on your Debian system. Emulators allow you to use non-native applications written for systems like Windows, Playstation, Super Nintendo ...etc. Technical words can be used but explained. Note that emulation is different than Virtualization.
Debian Games Emulator packages

https://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/emulator Proxy Highlight

CEN64 is a new Nintendo 64 emulator which aims for perfect emulation by simulating the hardware inside the Nintendo 64 itself, down to the register- transfer level ..
==============
2. I don't know how to install anything on Linux.
Not going to go into Linux in general, the forum is intended for Debian,
How to install packages on Debian
1. I don't know which emulator to install.
That might be mostly preference, which one you like the best, only after trying the ones you can install, then decide which one you like the best.
===== off topic ---jibberjabber=====
As playing is probably the first thing I'd want to do with a computer,
Well that is ok, and your toy should be fine, as for me, playing games is the last item , and not very important, a system that can do the work I need to do, is more important,... For my kids , the same, the main thing is a system that can help them with there studies and school work. Computers are to expensive to be considered "toys", they should be productive, to warrant the expense of having one.
All ways have wondered why Debian releases are all ways named after "Toy Story" Toy's , now I know.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

jibberjabber wrote:All ways have wondered why Debian releases are all ways named after "Toy Story" Toy's , now I know.
Ironically, Debian is not advertised as one of the distros for "toying around". Stable version, at least. It's one of two the most production-ready distros (along with RHEL/CentOS).

jibberjabber

#6 Post by jibberjabber »

I know, I was going to edit my post, and add that I was kidding, but see you posted,....most Debian users are using it for serious work stations, but I suppose it would also be a great "educational" toy, my kids seem to enjoy it,...
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

kopper

#7 Post by kopper »

I do gaming a lot and Debian Stable works great with emulators and Steam. Debian doesn't have to be all about bizniz. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. :D
ap3sc@ped wrote:1. I don't know which emulator to install.
If you used Debian, which you are not, Mupen64 performs well with controllers (I use wired XBOX360). I reckon Raspbian has it too, but can't say anything about controller compatibility etc. Raspbian forums will most likely have the most accurate answers for you, like stated before.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

Awesomegamer656

#8 Post by Awesomegamer656 »

Use emulationstation it has most emulators packed into 1!
my life sucks, so does my computer :.(

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

A quick look at packages.debian.org shows that Mupen64 is only available for amd64 and i386 architectures, not the armhf that the Pi uses. I'd advise checking first before making more suggestions to avoid further muddying the waters.

Maybe Raspian has an emulator build in their own repos, but then again, we can't know about that here. That's an argument for asking on the Raspian forums in the first place.
MX Linux packager and developer