Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

One year of Debian

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lysander

One year of Debian

#1 Post by Lysander »

Let's face it, no-one's really interested to hear how random forum member X got into Linux after leaving Windows, which was so manipulative, insidious and generally terrible. However, I will mention that my personal journey into Linux started in Feb last year with Ubuntu and I moved to Debian in April, version 8.7.

I originally found Debian pretty hard, but I was determined to make it work and it took two weeks of learning to get properly settled. I became very comfortable with it and didn't expect to still be here a year later, but yet I am. I've learned a lot in the meantime.

Thanks to all the forum members who have helped me since - some of whom are here and some of whom are here no longer. Hopefully I helped one or two as well.

HuangLao

Re: One year of Debian

#2 Post by HuangLao »

congratulations Lysander, you are a great addition here and at LQ. ;)

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Well done Lysander, great decision — I've been running Debian stable on the family laptop for almost five years without a single hitch (it gets heavy use every day) and I really can't think of anything better for the task.
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Congrats, who would have thought you were here for only a year!
Your contributions are that of an expert.

Lysander

#5 Post by Lysander »

Thank you, Huang and HoaS, those are very kind responses which I didn't expect at all.

Wheeler - it's very generous of you to refer to some of my posts as expert but really I'm just an amateur, or I certainly feel like one. Nevertheless, I was schooled off-forum quite a bit by dasein, which has benefited me a great deal, and probably more than I realise.

Job

#6 Post by Job »

I wish I still have time like I did 10 years ago. I have become lazy because of the little knowledge I acquire over the years running Debian.

Great job Lysander.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

Great solution, Lysander. The longer you use it, the more experience you will gain. Good luck in this cozy Debian land.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

HuangLao

#8 Post by HuangLao »

OMG, Job, is that really you...its been ages! 8)

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Lysander wrote:it's very generous of you to refer to some of my posts as expert but really I'm just an amateur, or I certainly feel like one.
well at least your communication skills are expert!

Innovate

#10 Post by Innovate »

I was thought you were Mint guy lurking around here.
So... you've finally made your mind here.
Congrats

Nili

#11 Post by Nili »

Congrat for your first anniversary Lysander
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

bester69

#12 Post by bester69 »

In my case, i didnt go to debian, Debian came to me.. According to my experience, I think in life things happends this way. The same with women, etc... I dont like things working like that, but life is kind of extrange... things are unnatural and manipulated. but that is my perception, i might be wrong :)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

n_hologram

#13 Post by n_hologram »

bester69 wrote:In my case...Debian came to me...The same with women
NOW I understand your meaning behind this comment:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p656907
bester69 wrote:i will keep letting the door of my apartment unlocked. It just common sense, at least my common sense...
You sly dog.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Lysander

#14 Post by Lysander »

Some very nice comments here, thanks, everyone. I didn't actually expect that - in fact I don't know what I expected when I started the thread. Very pleased to be here and to be with the OS.

rivenathos

#15 Post by rivenathos »

Only a year? It seems like more time than that, for sure. Time flies when you are having fun, eh?
I have been using Debian since the Etch release, and you certainly have me already beaten in knowledge.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

bester69

#16 Post by bester69 »

rivenathos wrote:Only a year? It seems like more time than that, for sure. Time flies when you are having fun, eh?
I have been using Debian since the Etch release, and you certainly have me already beaten in knowledge.
I moved to Linux/Debian with Wheezy, It took me two years long to learn about all distros/apps and knowing how to do things and how to replace windows apps with.

Now, Im stable like debian, and my desktop is KDE plasma, I love dolphin explorer, kdeconnect and kmail.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...