Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Last Multimedia Codecs

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Last Multimedia Codecs

#16 Post by sunrat »

What do you use to check the performance of different kernels? Exactly how are the Ubuntu kernels better than Debian kernels?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#17 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote:I read someplace ubuntu's kernel is the same as debian kernel with some tunning..
I read a lot of things, it doesn't make them true. Got any objective benchmarks?
bester69 wrote:Ive installed and testing a lot of ubuntu's kernels in debian and all of them worked fine, so in my own experience and for my purposes theyre totally compatible, at least in debian's direction.
A kernel is unlikely to break anything... until the DKMS packages you need to compile against it get out of sync, or you pull in a rare kernel that has userspace-breaking API changes. It's probably fine for a desktop, but on a machine that needs to work all the time (like a production server), it would be inviting disaster.
bester69 wrote:As you should know some packages doesnt affect the base of the system, they are very bounded. You can install libavcodec from other distros, and it will only affect that part of the system, the dependcyies are very controlled, so your system keep being a debian Stable. Can you see the point?
If you want to micromanage a bunch of libraries that may break unexpectedly when things they link against get upgraded, fall behind, or don't exist in the debian packages, sure.
Personally, I think this kind of defeats the purpose of running stable - namely peace of mind that nothing is going to require manual intervention if you turn on automatic updates for a server in Timbuktu that you can only physically visit once a year.
Again, it's probably fine for a desktop. Everyone has their own tolerance for random breakage and micromanagement.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

steve_v wrote:
bester69 wrote:I read someplace ubuntu's kernel is the same as debian kernel with some tunning..
I read a lot of things, it doesn't make them true. Got any objective benchmarks?
But it's the "Debian kernel" with some fine-tuning. Who wouldn't want some of that? Ubuntu is 'effectively' Debian GTI, after all.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-04-23 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

bester69

#19 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:
steve_v wrote:If you want to micromanage a bunch of libraries that may break unexpectedly when things they link against get upgraded, fall behind, or don't exist in the debian packages, sure.
I had a deb-multimedia library offer to break Sid more than a year after I installed it.
Its very easy to rollback and drop those dbo packages when they are just a few ones, You only need to ask to aptitude what option to choose in order to downgrade back those packages. Ive never broken anything since years, so I again will defend there's nothong wrong with using some few foreign controlled packages in the stable debian, that wont change anything.

But my best advice, is procced with btrfs tested snapshots of the stable system. Thanks to btrfs snapshots ive never had to reinstall debian again, tou can do anything and rollback in a minit.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#20 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:What do you use to check the performance of different kernels? Exactly how are the Ubuntu kernels better than Debian kernels?
Normally, You can feel if it performance worse with your own senses, and normally is more or less the same performance (no appreciable differences) , so you upgrade as you'll get a better one. I was stuck in ubuntu's 4.4.39 and couldnt upgrade cos the Opera browser i used, went slower responsive or/and laggy. from 4.4.125 on (last i tested) i see that issue has vanished, and thought "Meltdown and Spectre" downgrade patch are by now applied I cant nearly sense that cpu's lost performance. So I upgraded kernel to last one 4.4.x.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#21 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote:You only need to ask to aptitude what option to choose in order to downgrade back those packages.
Like I said, micromanagement. With stable packages nothing breaks in the first place, and you don't have to aptitude anything.
bester69 wrote:You can feel if it performance worse with your own senses
So no quantifiable reason for the Ubuntu kernel then, just some vague "feels". :roll:
bester69 wrote:"Meltdown and Spectre" downgrade patch are by now applied I cant nearly sense that cpu's lost performance.
If you bothered to benchmark this stuff, you'd see a very measurable performance penalty from the FUCKWIT patches.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.