Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Last Multimedia Codecs

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Last Multimedia Codecs

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

It seems last libavcodecs have not yet been ported to backports, Do you know something about this??,

Ive had to use deb-multimedia sources to been able to upgrade mpv and libavcodecs. :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Wheelerof4te

Re: Last Multimedia Codecs

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Software in Debian backports is not updated automagically. Someone has to backport it from Testing. And in order for someone to be able to do that, it has to first *be* in Testing.
My advice is: wait a bit. And stay clear of deb-multimedia, it's obsolete.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The latest ffmpeg is now 4.0, and that's not in upstream Debian as of yesterday.

I keep the backports in my own multimedia OBS repo free of those problems that deb-multimedia can create; for doubters, I need only to point at MX Linux, which has the same backports. Mpv 0.28 requires ffmpeg >= 3.5, so the version in my repo has an internal pre-release ffmpeg 3.5/4.0.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

@bester69 - which media codec did you need that wasn't supported in the current Debian version?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:@bester69 - which media codec did you need that wasn't supported in the current Debian version?
I dont know, sometimes I like to use newer software.. I guess last codecs will improve a litle bit video performance.. Ive seen recentlly BDRIP compilations have decrease size and keeping quality at the same time... a lot of movies under 1GB with 720p resolution.

I wanted to see if last libavcodecs use less CPU or/and have faster response, and check quality sounds improves as well.
Im now using de-multimedia only for the multimedia codecs, I only had to upgrade these few packages, so i think its Ok, Its all under control, i could drop them if i had any trouble. My system is very stable as im using btrfs-snapshots points for controlling stability installations, I can rollback anytime..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

You said you already got the stuff, so did it improve anything? Why do you need it to be backported to stable if you got it somewhere else? Are you now using stable, or still a 'mixed' system?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

bester69, I think you will enjoy running Sid. I know I do.
Who knows what sort of FrankenDebians you could create on Sid :mrgreen:

BTW, did I mention I run Sid?

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

bw123 wrote:You said you already got the stuff, so did it improve anything? Why do you need it to be backported to stable if you got it somewhere else? Are you now using stable, or still a 'mixed' system?
I cant ensure if it improves, perhaps improves a litle bit movie latency response, when you scroll throught the movie. For me it's ok for now, I was having some issues with gnome-mpv and youtube videos , it doesnt play them sometimes, and i thought it was something about codecs. Still dont know whats the matter with youtube-dl and gnome-mpv, I even upgrade last youtube-dl version and keeps doing the same.

I alway follow same criteria, I keep a stable base system, and then i use some third party esencial packages mixed, As they are very few, the stable base keeps under control.

My stable system has:
Ubuntu's kernel 4.4.125 (I always use ubuntu's kernel)
firmware-intel-sound (bpo)
inte-microcode (bpo)
mpv, libav-* (deb-multimedia)
kodi 17.6 (Zesty ubuntu)

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

bester69 wrote:My stable system has:
firmware-intel-sound (bpo)
inte-microcode (bpo)
mpv, libav-* (deb-multimedia)
kodi 17.6 (Zesty ubuntu)
So Debian Stable system with:
-Debian backports repo
-Ubuntu 16.04's kernel
-mpv from deb-multimedia repo
-kodi from Ubuntu 17.04

dasein would be proud :D

jibberjabber

#10 Post by jibberjabber »

So it is not really Debian Stable, is it ?
It is Ubuntu, Ubuntu is not Debian.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

bw123

#11 Post by bw123 »

bester69 wrote:
I cant ensure if it improves, perhaps improves a litle bit movie latency response, when you scroll throught the movie. For me it's ok for now, I was having some issues with gnome-mpv and youtube videos , it doesnt play them sometimes, and i thought it was something about codecs. Still dont know whats the matter with youtube-dl and gnome-mpv, I even upgrade last youtube-dl version and keeps doing the same.
Why don't you give an url of a problem vid, and maybe somebody else can check it out? Which format are you getting through youtube-dl?

I have tried these so far, and all seem fine on stretch, but I use the old cclive app to get them, vlc for playback. Youtube is dam tricky, they make changes all the time that makes stuff break.

Code: Select all

fmt_17        3GP     144p    MPEG-4 Visual
fmt_36        3GP     240p    MPEG-4 Visual
fmt_5         FLV     240p    Sorenson H.263
fmt_18        MP4     360p    H.264
fmt_22        MP4     720p    H.264
fmt_43        WebM    360p    VP8
If something stops working, especially youtube, the last thing I do is go around installing a lot of new 'codecs' and crap. i really haven't had any problems like that since I left windows media player. That whole "get the latest" it's better idea is really a myth, ya know?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

You know, your dmo libav* 3.3.7 and mpv 0.27.2 are old and busted compared to the 3.4.1 and 0.28.2 I have in my own multimedia backports repo, Mr. "I thought I had the latest shiny new stuff!" :lol:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... eg-stretch

Hmmm...let me upgrade that to ffmpeg 3.4.2 while I'm at it.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#13 Post by bester69 »

jibberjabber wrote:
So it is not really Debian Stable, is it ?
It is Ubuntu, Ubuntu is not Debian.
Its debian system with ubuntu kernel, so in my opinion its a 95% debian system (there must be very litle differences between debian and ubuntu kernels).
Ive been doing this for long and its wonderfull, but dont say to anyone..,they dont approve these practices :mrgreen:

Funkygoby

#14 Post by Funkygoby »

bester69 wrote:I alway follow same criteria, I keep a stable base system, and then i use some third party esencial packages mixed, As they are very few, the stable base keeps under control.
How can you be sure of that? Are you the maintainer of all those different package and do you know the ins and outs of them?
bester69 wrote: Its debian system with ubuntu kernel, so in my opinion its a 95% debian system (there must be very litle differences between debian and ubuntu kernels).
Ive been doing this for long and its wonderfull, but dont say to anyone..,they dont approve these practices :mrgreen:
You have created a bizaro-distro and you are the only one using it (no peer testing). I would say that Sid is much more reliable since there are hundreds of potents people using it.

As a side note, have you considered that using incompatible parts might make your system less perfomant?

Anyway, cuídate.

bester69

#15 Post by bester69 »

Funkygoby wrote:
bester69 wrote:I alway follow same criteria, I keep a stable base system, and then i use some third party esencial packages mixed, As they are very few, the stable base keeps under control.
How can you be sure of that? Are you the maintainer of all those different package and do you know the ins and outs of them?
bester69 wrote: Its debian system with ubuntu kernel, so in my opinion its a 95% debian system (there must be very litle differences between debian and ubuntu kernels).
You have created a bizaro-distro and you are the only one using it (no peer testing). I would say that Sid is much more reliable since there are hundreds of potents people using it.

As a side note, have you considered that using incompatible parts might make your system less perfomant?

Anyway, cuídate.
I read someplace ubuntu's kernel is the same as debian kernel with some tunning..Ive installed and testing a lot of ubuntu's kernels in debian and all of them worked fine, so in my own experience and for my purposes theyre totally compatible, at least in debian's direction. To me this is very good , cos i can go to kernel-ppa/mainline and install any kernel, and check performance in my system and pick the better one in my laptop.

My system is totally stable, as im using a stable base with some very few controlled mixed packages. As you should know some packages doesnt affect the base of the system, they are very bounded. You can install libavcodec from other distros, and it will only affect that part of the system, the dependcyies are very controlled, so your system keep being a debian Stable. Can you see the point?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

What do you use to check the performance of different kernels? Exactly how are the Ubuntu kernels better than Debian kernels?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#17 Post by steve_v »

bester69 wrote:I read someplace ubuntu's kernel is the same as debian kernel with some tunning..
I read a lot of things, it doesn't make them true. Got any objective benchmarks?
bester69 wrote:Ive installed and testing a lot of ubuntu's kernels in debian and all of them worked fine, so in my own experience and for my purposes theyre totally compatible, at least in debian's direction.
A kernel is unlikely to break anything... until the DKMS packages you need to compile against it get out of sync, or you pull in a rare kernel that has userspace-breaking API changes. It's probably fine for a desktop, but on a machine that needs to work all the time (like a production server), it would be inviting disaster.
bester69 wrote:As you should know some packages doesnt affect the base of the system, they are very bounded. You can install libavcodec from other distros, and it will only affect that part of the system, the dependcyies are very controlled, so your system keep being a debian Stable. Can you see the point?
If you want to micromanage a bunch of libraries that may break unexpectedly when things they link against get upgraded, fall behind, or don't exist in the debian packages, sure.
Personally, I think this kind of defeats the purpose of running stable - namely peace of mind that nothing is going to require manual intervention if you turn on automatic updates for a server in Timbuktu that you can only physically visit once a year.
Again, it's probably fine for a desktop. Everyone has their own tolerance for random breakage and micromanagement.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

steve_v wrote:
bester69 wrote:I read someplace ubuntu's kernel is the same as debian kernel with some tunning..
I read a lot of things, it doesn't make them true. Got any objective benchmarks?
But it's the "Debian kernel" with some fine-tuning. Who wouldn't want some of that? Ubuntu is 'effectively' Debian GTI, after all.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-04-23 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

bester69

#19 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:
steve_v wrote:If you want to micromanage a bunch of libraries that may break unexpectedly when things they link against get upgraded, fall behind, or don't exist in the debian packages, sure.
I had a deb-multimedia library offer to break Sid more than a year after I installed it.
Its very easy to rollback and drop those dbo packages when they are just a few ones, You only need to ask to aptitude what option to choose in order to downgrade back those packages. Ive never broken anything since years, so I again will defend there's nothong wrong with using some few foreign controlled packages in the stable debian, that wont change anything.

But my best advice, is procced with btrfs tested snapshots of the stable system. Thanks to btrfs snapshots ive never had to reinstall debian again, tou can do anything and rollback in a minit.

bester69

#20 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:What do you use to check the performance of different kernels? Exactly how are the Ubuntu kernels better than Debian kernels?
Normally, You can feel if it performance worse with your own senses, and normally is more or less the same performance (no appreciable differences) , so you upgrade as you'll get a better one. I was stuck in ubuntu's 4.4.39 and couldnt upgrade cos the Opera browser i used, went slower responsive or/and laggy. from 4.4.125 on (last i tested) i see that issue has vanished, and thought "Meltdown and Spectre" downgrade patch are by now applied I cant nearly sense that cpu's lost performance. So I upgraded kernel to last one 4.4.x.