Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Who is using old laptops, thanks to linux?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Who is using old laptops, thanks to linux?

#46 Post by oswaldkelso »

Private + Shared = RAM used Program

44.0 KiB + 0.5 KiB = 44.5 KiB perpboot
64.0 KiB + 0.5 KiB = 64.5 KiB socklog
72.0 KiB + 1.5 KiB = 73.5 KiB crond
92.0 KiB + 0.5 KiB = 92.5 KiB perpd
124.0 KiB + 0.5 KiB = 124.5 KiB init
68.0 KiB + 114.5 KiB = 182.5 KiB rc.main
72.0 KiB + 114.5 KiB = 186.5 KiB startx
196.0 KiB + 0.5 KiB = 196.5 KiB acpid
152.0 KiB + 49.5 KiB = 201.5 KiB tinylog (9)
156.0 KiB + 314.5 KiB = 470.5 KiB xinit
284.0 KiB + 224.5 KiB = 508.5 KiB dbus-daemon
420.0 KiB + 92.5 KiB = 512.5 KiB dhcpcd
664.0 KiB + 232.5 KiB = 896.5 KiB mksh (3)
1.5 MiB + 162.5 KiB = 1.7 MiB wpa_supplicant
2.7 MiB + 918.5 KiB = 3.6 MiB dwm
3.5 MiB + 4.8 MiB = 8.4 MiB udevd (15)
7.9 MiB + 665.5 KiB = 8.5 MiB Xorg
---------------------------------
25.6 MiB
=================================
Linux dragora 4.18.9-gnu #2 SMP Tue Sep 25 02:05:05 UTC 2018 i686 GNU/Linux

D3 alpha2 on my 11 year old Dell inspiron 6400.
Dragora-ice is nearly there as a more conventional choice for alpha3, albeit getting a wee bit heavier.
Now we just need to build some packages!
Qi the package builder can be used on other distros with a bit of work and without interference (allegedly) testers required if your feeling brave.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

debiman

#47 Post by debiman »

piperdan wrote: I didn't knowingly switch anything.
Ksysguard monitor showed that the cpu had a couple of spikes up to 70%, with the average 40-50% during the playing of the hi-res video.
I was also able to add a couple of gpu sensor trends, which remained unchanged through the playing of the video (at GPU Core: 0.98V, and 57 deg.C)

Hope that helps.
on second inspection, your output doesn't say anything about hybrid graphics except that i'm pretty sure that these intel CPUs include a GPU; plus the nvidia, makes two.
anyhow, i recently put my hands on a very similar machine, they're really nice. compact, beautiful, sturdy.
unfortunately the video test was abysmal (probably because the seller had put a new copy of win 10 on the machine) so i decided not to buy it. have settled on a new and super cheap jumper ezbook 3 pro now.

pylkko

#48 Post by pylkko »

That sounds like a deal. However, how did you install Debian? Was there any hardships with installing to the emmc? That's under a kilo right? how's the performance?

debiman

#49 Post by debiman »

^ are you asking me?
it hasn't arrived yet.
manjaro seems to be running fine on it (touchpad issue has also been fixed by now).

cagehooper47

#50 Post by cagehooper47 »

I have an old Toshiba A1 that still has Winxp on it. I tried (like hell) to get Debian on it. But I found there are known, not fixable, problems with the beast. Wanted to get it to work on today's wifi, since Xp only has wep authentication. But just couldn't get it to work. SO it stays as an old WinXP games box (starcraft :D Diablo2 :twisted: ) But I have a Thinkpad W700 that is my go-to testing box. I recently enlisted it in a Trinity Desktop test that worked. I also picked up an old highschool surplus Thinkpad X100e as an expendable toter. I had Debian buster with cinnamon on it (some idiot before TRIED to upgrade it to windows 10 :shock: :lol: ) Anyway. Debian ran OK on it but there is a known issue with the fan not working right. I was in the process of trying to fix it when I go my hands on a Windows 7 usb install and put it back in (as it was meant to be) The Z700 has dual hard drives and I'm tempted to move everything off drive 1 and setting it up as a Dualboot. I swapped them out for a spare to test the Trinity load-over.

emariz

#51 Post by emariz »

emariz wrote:May 11, 2018 http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=672960#p672960

My work terminal is a 2011 Sony Vaio with a Sandy Bridge i3 processor. It however was not 'resurrected' but only maintained by Debian, for it has always been running Debian since day one.

I added some RAM, replaced the battery last year and moved from a hard drive to an SSD, but the operating system has always been Debian (starting with Squeeze, which was used for as long as I could, and then Testing.) It runs so well that I have been constantly delaying the purchase of a new laptop. Hell!, I got a 2017 ThinkPad earlier this year and I have yet to migrate. This Vaio with Debian is awesome; no need to change.

In the past couple of years, some co-workers have expressed their interest in buying my laptop because they were surprised how long it has worked flawlessly. They have no idea what Linux is, but they do love the idea of never requiring a service or facing a system halt, and so on.
I ended up selling that Vaio to a co-worker, and it still runs great with Debian Stable (she would not know what to do with Testing.) And that ThinkPad finally became my main system, with Testing.

Last month, my boss asked me if I could "save" an HP Stream from 2017-18, which was not particularly old, but who was by all means unusable with Windows 10.
With a 32 Gb soldered e-MMC everything took ages to load on that laptop, even though the system had no multimedia files at all. The OS alone occupied the great majority of the disk space, and the constant updates turned it into hell.
I tested the HP Stream with Parted Magic, everything seemed to work in GNU/Linux and no hardware component seemed obscure. Since I was given complete control over the laptop, I did not hesitate to wipe the disk right away, re-partition it and then load a Debian 10 installer. Everything, and I mean, everything worked flawlessly in Debian. And a complete Gnome system took only 3.5 Gb of disk space (plus 3 Gb of swap, so that it could hibernate.)

My boss could not believe how responsive the system was with Debian, and how easy it was to use an alien system. This laptop was used for Internet browsing and office tasks, thus no migration was necessary. And since my boss and his family also use Mac OS on other devices, they were not scared of using something other than Windows.

For that price, now I would actually recommend getting an HP Stream with Debian Stable was a secondary laptop, for it is super light and silent, has a bright screen and everything works as expected. Who would have believed my recommending such "garbage"?!

Deb-fan

#52 Post by Deb-fan »

An 11yr old Dell 1545 Inspiron laptop. Thing still blazes running Debian Buster as it could with plenty of other gnu/Linux distros which are configured correctly for it. Thing actually still has the computing muscle to run whatever nix, De's etc. Pretty much have always had a strong preference for minimalistic gnu/Linux, regardless of system specs. Doing more with less is yet another area Linux clearly excels in and of course I <heart> Debian and Debian minimal netinstalls. :)

Rough specs: 4gbs memory, dualcore proc @ 2.17ghz. It's really cool to see people keeping these systems productive using open source that otherwise would've just been trashed. Everytime someone dumps a perfectly good pc into the landfill because it's no longer rated to keep up with modern bloatwares requirements, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames and dies a fiery screeching death.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

cagehooper47

#53 Post by cagehooper47 »

I still have an old Toshiba Satellite 2250 in the bottom drawer. I don't really use it for much more than running a few old (OOOOOLD) dos games. Ah the good old days. But it has Win98. I don't think I ever tried Linux on it. If I did it would have been Debian, but nope. I also have a Tecra A1 with XP. I tried to get Debian on it to get it to network (try to get WAP wifi logon to work in XP :roll: ) But I could never get the video to work right. Eh no biggie.

Edit: OOPS looks like I reposted to an old thread I already picked on....my bad!