Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[CLOSED]Setting a static IP address

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
jjanderson5

[CLOSED]Setting a static IP address

#1 Post by jjanderson5 »

I have installed Bunsenlabs Linux, a Debian derivative on my PC and the installation went fine except for one thing -- I was not able to set a static address for my ethernet port. The ethernet port can be seen and I can connect to the rest of my intra-net, but the lastest version of the openbox GUI won't let me set up the static IP. In older releases of Bunsenlabs, I could do this in the GUI.

So, I found the write up at https://www.howtoforge.com/debian-static-ip-address and followed the instructions as follows:

Code: Select all

1) Edited the /etc/network/interfaces file to look like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp70s0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.237
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1
then I ran:

services networking restart
When I run:

ip addr
I find that my IP address is 192.168.0.101, which is the original IP address assigned by DHCP when the PC was booted.

Can anyone provide advise on how to change the ethernet port to my assigned static value?
Last edited by jjanderson5 on 2018-05-11 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

Re: Setting a static IP address

#2 Post by arzgi »

This is Debian user forum.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@Community: I'm sorry about this.
jjanderson5 wrote:

iface enp70s0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.237
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1
Is networking.service enabled and running?

NetworkManager can set static IPs if that's what you want and we have made no changes to networking for Helium apart from removing a few packages.

Finally, please do not post here with BunsenLabs problems — these boards are for Debian users.

EDIT: I can't see "network" as an option in the man page:

https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/ifup ... tic_Method
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The situation is more complicated than the OP has presented:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 638#p71638
deadbang

jjanderson5

#5 Post by jjanderson5 »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Bunsenlabs (BL) is a Linux distribution layered on top of the Debian distribution.

The reason that I came to Debian is that I have already posted a thread on a BL forum, but have not resolved the problem. I have isolated the problem to a networking problem, i.e. not being able to set the IP address of my ethernet port. I think my problem is common to any Debian derivative so it seems it appropriate to ask here. The added benefit is that I think the audience at the Debian forums is larger than the BL forums, so I hope I might get more eyes on my problem. I did note on the BL forum that I am expanding my search for help and that I will post back at the BL forums when I do find a solution.

Please forgive me, if my understanding is wrong.

Jim A.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

If you start with Debian... take things away some, add some things and change some things... what you end up with is not Debian.

There are about 130 distros which started from Debian. They are no longer Debian. Debian based, Debian type, layered on Debian, call it what you will, but they are not Debian.

There may be some problems from these distros which are common to Debian but there are also problems which are distro specific i.e. nothing to do with Debian. People who used Debian cannot know, and have no need to know, every other distro specific problem.

BunsenLabs Linux Forum is probably the best place to ask about BunsenLabs Linux

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

Yeah it was a poor choice to leave out the setup vpn on network-manager part. You can't use ifupdown with /etc/network/interfaces and nm at the same time easily. I'm not sure it's really possible at all, never saw network setup done that way.

Stick to the other thread and stick with the network-manager for setup.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jjanderson5 wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Bunsenlabs (BL) is a Linux distribution layered on top of the Debian distribution
Yes but nobody here (myself excepted) knows which particular changes have been applied, this makes it very difficult to troubleshoot and also makes the thread useless for other *Debian* users.

Please continue this problem over at forums.bunsenlabs.org, thanks.
deadbang

jjanderson5

Re: [CLOSED]Setting a static IP address

#9 Post by jjanderson5 »

I'm closing this thread. I recognize the reasoning behind the general consensus. I largely agree with the thoughts expressed, but I hope all understand my confusion. When I run:

uname -a
I get:
Linux furillo 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-2 (2017-12-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Jim A.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: [CLOSED]Setting a static IP address

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jjanderson5 wrote:I hope all understand my confusion. When I run:

uname -a
I get:
Linux furillo 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-2 (2017-12-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Yes, I can see why that might confuse you but that is the name of the kernel version and BunsenLabs uses the stock upstream Debian stable kernel.
deadbang