Devuan ASCII 2.0 RC available

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Devuan ASCII 2.0 RC available

Postby golinux » 2018-05-11 20:16

For those of you who might be interested:

https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/ascii ... nce-050918

It has been a very quiet release. No one squawking about bugs. YEA! Oh yes, someone on Distrowatch docked us for DEBIAN's Synaptic pkexec bug. LOLOL! I suspect that Ascii stable will follow soon. Then on to Beowulf. With the delayed Buster release to mid-2019 Devuan will soon be pretty much caught up with the Debian release cycle. All good news. Enjoy!
Last edited by golinux on 2018-05-14 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Re: Devuan ASCII 2.0 RC available

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-05-11 20:57

Great job on the release. More power to free software, and more choice for the users. Howewer...
golinux wrote:Oh yes, someone on Distrowatch docked us for DEBIAN's Synaptic pkexe bug. LOLOL!

Really, no need for bashing Debian for one kinda minor bug. You are Debian-based distro, so it's expected.
Wheelerof4te

Postby yeti » 2018-05-11 22:04

golinux wrote:I suspect that Ascii stable will follow soon.

On Towel-Day?
Pleaaaaaaaseeeee...
"Stay OmmmMMMmmmPtimistic!" — yeti
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." — The 2nd Doctor
"Don't we all wait for SOMETHING-ELSE-1.0?" — yeti
yeti

Postby n_hologram » 2018-05-14 11:19

Wheelerof4te wrote:Really, no need for bashing Debian for one kinda minor bug. You are Debian-based distro

I don't think this was intended to "bash" Debian so much as point out the err in the critique.
I prefer ksh anyways.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Postby stevepusser » 2018-05-14 17:27

What's the pkexec "bug?" IMO, if you have an application appear in your menu in the default, you better make damn sure it launches when the user clicks it. There are several ways to fix the "bug".

I also assume the bug does not refer to Debian's grotesquely large pkexec authorization dialog, for which a fix also exists...
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: GIMP 2.10.6, Pale Moon 28.0.1, wine-staging 3.15, qBittorrent 4.1.2, Linux kernel 4.18.6, virtualbox 5.2.18
stevepusser

Postby n_hologram » 2018-05-15 11:39

Debian Bug report logs - #842184
policykit-1: synaptic-pkexec no more work

https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?r ... helpful=No
Synaptic doesn't work out of the box (wouldn't even open, I had to make a launcher on the desktop and change the command to "gksu synaptic" from "synaptic-pkexec"

It was also in my favorite part of the review.
NOT for noobs (if you have previous Debian experience, you'll be fine). Synaptic doesn't work out of the box (wouldn't even open, I had to make a launcher on the desktop and change the command to "gksu synaptic" from "synaptic-pkexec", this SHOW STOPPER will certainly stump noobs

"Noobs shouldn't be using this, and if they are, they will definitely immediately stop once synaptic doesn't load." Logic checks out.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Return to Offtopic