Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Devuan ASCII 2.0 RC available

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
golinux

Devuan ASCII 2.0 RC available

#1 Post by golinux »

For those of you who might be interested:

https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/ascii ... nce-050918

It has been a very quiet release. No one squawking about bugs. YEA! Oh yes, someone on Distrowatch docked us for DEBIAN's Synaptic pkexec bug. LOLOL! I suspect that Ascii stable will follow soon. Then on to Beowulf. With the delayed Buster release to mid-2019 Devuan will soon be pretty much caught up with the Debian release cycle. All good news. Enjoy!
Last edited by golinux on 2018-05-14 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
May the FORK be with you!

Wheelerof4te

Re: Devuan ASCII 2.0 RC available

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Great job on the release. More power to free software, and more choice for the users. Howewer...
golinux wrote:Oh yes, someone on Distrowatch docked us for DEBIAN's Synaptic pkexe bug. LOLOL!
Really, no need for bashing Debian for one kinda minor bug. You are Debian-based distro, so it's expected.

yeti

#3 Post by yeti »

golinux wrote:I suspect that Ascii stable will follow soon.
On Towel-Day?
Pleaaaaaaaseeeee...
"I have a natural instinct for science" — DJ Trump.
"Vrijdag voor VT100!" — Yeti.
"There is no PLANET-B!" — ???

n_hologram

#4 Post by n_hologram »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Really, no need for bashing Debian for one kinda minor bug. You are Debian-based distro
I don't think this was intended to "bash" Debian so much as point out the err in the critique.
I prefer ksh anyways.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

What's the pkexec "bug?" IMO, if you have an application appear in your menu in the default, you better make damn sure it launches when the user clicks it. There are several ways to fix the "bug".

I also assume the bug does not refer to Debian's grotesquely large pkexec authorization dialog, for which a fix also exists...
MX Linux packager and developer

n_hologram

#6 Post by n_hologram »

Debian Bug report logs - #842184
policykit-1: synaptic-pkexec no more work

https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?r ... helpful=No
Synaptic doesn't work out of the box (wouldn't even open, I had to make a launcher on the desktop and change the command to "gksu synaptic" from "synaptic-pkexec"
It was also in my favorite part of the review.
NOT for noobs (if you have previous Debian experience, you'll be fine). Synaptic doesn't work out of the box (wouldn't even open, I had to make a launcher on the desktop and change the command to "gksu synaptic" from "synaptic-pkexec", this SHOW STOPPER will certainly stump noobs
"Noobs shouldn't be using this, and if they are, they will definitely immediately stop once synaptic doesn't load." Logic checks out.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...