Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Major life + tech changes?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
kalajeng

Major life + tech changes?

#1 Post by kalajeng »

Hey all, making my first post after lurking for a few months.

Has a major shift in tech coincided with major life changes for you?

I just got through some hard stuff and am rebooting my life in a new city. I also began retooling my career around 3 months ago, and it's led me, after a decade using OSX, to a few different distros and now finally to Debian. I've been playing around with Stretch on a stick for a couple weeks and am going to install it on my daily machine in a few days. A lot of the personal things I've been working on often coincide with Debian philosophies, which has made it really interesting to discover. :)

Looking forward to contributing where/when I can.

Lysander

Re: Major life + tech changes?

#2 Post by Lysander »

Sorry to hear about the change you've had to go through but it sounds like you've got out the other side and are in the process of rebuilding. I haven't been in this Linux game for long so moving OSs, or to Linux in general, didn't really coincide with a big life event . However, funny that you mention it, I may be going through a life change now. We'll see.

Good choice with Stretch, I use it on my desktop as a daily driver and it's a great OS. I settled on it after going through many Linux distros.

Pick2

#3 Post by Pick2 »

Welcome to the forums and Linux :)
I lurked here for ~3 years before signing up. The Wife and I still use OSX , But I'm Mainly Debian
Just keep ploping one foot in front of the other and you'll get there.
Good Luck

n_hologram

#4 Post by n_hologram »

kalajeng wrote:I just got through some hard stuff and am rebooting my life in a new city
This is why you make backups.

For real, though, I know the feel. Welcome to the club.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kalajeng wrote:rebooting my life in a new city
I did that too :D

As for major tech changes affecting my life, I remember when sat-navs first started becoming available and I could finally rid myself of the cargo of map books, that was nice.

And the move from paper to electronic dockets, still on the fence about that one though tbh :?
deadbang

Jimmyfd

#6 Post by Jimmyfd »

Finally switched to Debian GNU/Linux after 11 years on *buntu. My hardware runs much better on Debian in my opinion. For the life changing part that happened some month ago, a change for the better. Happy with my sid/buster box now.
UBUNTU ? Debian programmer gone mad !

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

kalajeng wrote:Has a major shift in tech coincided with major life changes for you?
No.
however you define that, the answer is no.
and tbh i'm not quite sure what "major shift in tech" means? buying new hardware for yourself? switching distros? the invention of the WWW?

long before is tarted using linux i started getting interested in open, non-hierarchical communities.
so even that aspect already existed in my life before my computers "caught up" with it.

I also don't believe in rebooting one's life; all i see is continuity, gradual changes from one point to the next.
in my experience, you can't really "leave things behind" - they're inside you, and will out evtl.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:I also don't believe in rebooting one's life
Three people in this thread would disagree with you about that :)
deadbang

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

^ that's because they're nerds, and i'm not!
:mrgreen:

also, how do you call that logical fallacy where something isn't necessarily true because lots of people preach it?

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^
debiman wrote:preach it?
Religion.

Not really major as in life-changing, but here it is. When Windows XP's support ended, I looked for something to replace it with. Did a dual boot with Xubuntu back in 2014. One day just got tired of Windows, college ended and I didn't need Windows anymore.
So discovering Linux was my greatest life+tech thing, for sure.

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

I've made a major move a few times now, different state(s) (1,200 miles away) and different cities. Its challenging but also tends to open new doors and learning. Welcome to your new adventure, we are here to help. ;)

kevinthefixer

#12 Post by kevinthefixer »

debiman wrote:also, how do you call that logical fallacy where something isn't necessarily true because lots of people preach it?
The way I put it: "conventional wisdom" is an oxymoron.

n_hologram

#13 Post by n_hologram »

I just want to point out that it has been two days and kalajeng is still at a post count of "1". Hopefully he remembered to boot the correct storage device.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

i concede:
"rebooting" your life is possible, but only to a certain extent.

i hear stories about people who claim that they completely turned around their lives, that their "old me" has completely vanished, and i never believe it.

i'm not saying op did or said that, though.

i'd just like people to be aware that the human/computer comparisons are always flawed (as much fun as they are).
IRL, change is possible, but not like that. change is always gradual.
the steps might be big or small, but htere's no such thing as "reinstalling from scratch".

Lysander

#15 Post by Lysander »

Well yes, it's not possible to make an instant change to one's life. I think it's just nice to think that it's been 'rebooted' and that one is at a new stage, it's a healthy psychological tactic for the individual concerned. Of course in truth, these things take time.

Apropos of that, it seems like my suspicions a few posts ago have been realised: I am in the process of 'rebooting' my life as well. And like OP, I am in a town many miles away from where things were before. No Debian here, all I have is a netbook running Slackware. Still, could be worse. I'll post here for posterity in the meantime.

Luna Moon

#16 Post by Luna Moon »

kalajeng wrote:Has a major shift in tech coincided with major life changes for you?
I believe tech can influence one's life, but if you let yourself be changed by it completely, is still a decision made by you. Seems like you needed that change and I wish you all success and luck!